Embarrassed I didn't realise this until now.....

So I opened up the galaxy map and started planning my route - THEN A LIGHT WENT OFF. After I finished telling my partner off for scaring the bejebus out of my by walking in a turning the damn lights on without telling me (she is normally very good about things like that lol), I realised I had another option, one I have never considered before.
(cackling like a fiend)

Glad I'm not the only one!

:). I only knew you could cause my starter sidey drove me nuts with it's smallest in the galaxy fuel tank. So that was my first upgrade on my starter sidey. I didn't know I could or could not but adding a size 1 or size 2 optional fuel tank to the sidey is awesome. And it was available in Dromi or Matet I do not remember which.

Ill never understand the mindset behind using a fuel tank over a scoop. It drags down your jump jange and there's still a chance you could run out of fuel even with it.

The only build I have that uses it is my "fuel rat" ship and the only reason I use an extra tank on it to ensure that I can't ever accidentally give more fuel than I can handle.

Ill never understand the mindset behind using a fuel tank over a scoop. It drags down your jump jange and there's still a chance you could run out of fuel even with it.

My little Siddy has both, sometimes when you are flying something that small you have to get out of town fast, so fast that you don't have time to check whether there is fuel or a scoopable star there, them Sidewinders do not have a very large tank.

I have also thrown a second tank rather than a scoop when checking out a bunch of non-scoopable systems, saves time jumping to a scoopable star or waiting for my carrier to arrive.

Now this is weird, because a fuel scoop is virtually mandatory on an exploration build, which often makes extra tanks completely redundant. I've frequently fitted tanks to ships to maximize ferry range within the bubble, but essentially never on an exploration setup.
Eh, they've got me through some seriously Brown Dwarf heavy sectors of space before, but yeah, under normal conditions the fuel scoop that accounts for like 80% of my explorer's rebuy is all I need.

I guess they're also potentially useful when exploring fringe areas of space with a lot of specific jumps needed to get to certain stars, and you know the route lacks scoopables.

Also a big fan of fuel tanks.

Most of the time an extra small (size 2 or 3) fuel tank gives you more than enough to get you where you want to go, without having to waste a large slot on a good scoop, or having to spend lots of time waiting to refuel with a smaller scoop. Also you don't need to care about star types with fuel tanks. :) The tiny loss of jump range is meaningless unless you're going very long distance, in which case using a small scoop is also a pain in the arx and you'd need either a proper large scoop anyway, or a large fuel tank.

The only good use case for a large scoop is exploration (or very long travel), but now that I use an FC for exploration I only mostly small ships (with added fuel tanks) anyway to explore the area around the FC.

The only ships I still keep a scoop on are my exploration Type-7, which is equipped to go all around the galaxy on it's own if needed, and a DBX Explorer whose only purpose is to get somewhere fast and is built accordingly. But even in the pre-FC days of exploration in a single ship, many times I preferred to take an extra fuel tank together with the lhe fuel scoop, I'd lose a couple LY per jump, but had to refuel half the times and to me it was a good tradeoff.

I've been in a similar situation recently - building a new ICourier....
The conundrum I face (as do we all i suspect!) is how to go about flying to each of the Engineers i need for the experimental effects.
What I should do, is leave my optional internals empty, work on my FSD first, and work my way up to the heavier/optional stuff (To keep weight down, and jump range high)
Do I do this though?
...........Do i b0ll0cks!
I go to Shinrarta, get the Outfitting I want, then lug around all that extra weight feeling weirdly paranoid that I'll forget my 'ideal' outfitting or something like that!

Then again - I know that I know this...and I still do it...so maybe I'm just insane! 😜

My little Siddy has both, sometimes when you are flying something that small you have to get out of town fast, so fast that you don't have time to check whether there is fuel or a scoopable star there, them Sidewinders do not have a very large tank.

I have also thrown a second tank rather than a scoop when checking out a bunch of non-scoopable systems, saves time jumping to a scoopable star or waiting for my carrier to arrive.
You don't have to completely refill the tank each time. Just lean into the star as your maneuvering towards your destination and youll scoop enough to increase your travel distance significantly. It only takes 47 seconds to refill a sidewinder with a 1A scoop and that's from dead empty. So if 1 jump costs you 1/4 of a tank that means it should take you less than 12 seconds to fill the tank and the FSD cool down time is 10 seconds that your forced to wait anyway. With an extra tank you have to eventually refuel anyway so there's no reason to not have a fuel scoop just for peace of mind.

Sometimes I'll add a small fuel tank and a fuel scoop to my FDL when I want to go somewhere far away in it - like say a CG, and then rather than paying for the transfer fee for the entire ship, I'll just ship out whatever module I replaced with the tank.

I could just take a ship with a longer jump range and transfer the FDL or Corvette, or whatever ship I intend to use for combat, but somehow I never do...

You don't have to completely refill the tank each time. Just lean into the star as your maneuvering towards your destination and youll scoop enough to increase your travel distance significantly. It only takes 47 seconds to refill a sidewinder with a 1A scoop and that's from dead empty. So if 1 jump costs you 1/4 of a tank that means it should take you less than 12 seconds to fill the tank and the FSD cool down time is 10 seconds that your forced to wait anyway. With an extra tank you have to eventually refuel anyway so there's no reason to not have a fuel scoop just for peace of mind.
That was back in the days when I could not afford a 1A, back in the days when you could jump into a system and some NPC would message you before you could even line up to start scooping so just turn away from star select another system fast and jump. when the cost of the loss of cargo and a re-buy could mean a week of hauling Biowaste again:)

Top Bottom