Newcomer / Intro Engineering Question

Hello, I was wondering... as an example, there are, at least, two Engineers that handle multi-cannons to Grade 5, Marsha Hicks and Tod The Blaster Mcquinn. I was wondering, is there any benefit to using one over the other? Does one offer better Grade 5 and Experimental upgrades than the other, or does it matter? I upgraded my multi-cannons with Tod to Grade 5 and added the experimental effect via Tod, but now I am wondering... should I have or should I have gone with another Engineer?

Thanks!

The upgrades are identical. The only different is location of the engineers and the different modification services they provide.
It just so happens those two engineers offer the same G5 Multi-cannon modification.

Once you pin a modification, you can preform the upgrade at any station in the galaxy. As another confirmation that the upgrades are identical..

The upgrades are identical. The only different is location of the engineers and the different modification services they provide.
It just so happens those two engineers offer the same G5 Multi-cannon modification.

Once you pin a modification, you can preform the upgrade at any station in the galaxy. As another confirmation that the upgrades are identical..
Much appreciated! Thank you! I did just notice that Marsha is like 22K Lys away from me, so... yeah, good thing the are the same upgrades ;)

Much appreciated! Thank you! I did just notice that Marsha is like 22K Lys away from me, so... yeah, good thing the are the same upgrades ;)
IIRC at some point in the future engineers 22k ly away may be able to offer higher grades than ones in the bubble. I believe this is already the case for either lightweight life support or scanner (can never remember which). I don't know whether this will apply to multi-cannons or not.

I was wondering if you could give some advice about this issue Fuel Scoop Overheat issue I am having? Thanks!

I have a Krait MK II with the highest rated fuel scoop I could place on the thing and every time I fuel scoop a star, my heat goes crazy. The scoop doesn't even scoop that much, maybe it will get up to around 30 or 40t of scooping (but usually just like 5 to 15ts) but quickly overheats. In order to not overheat, I need to stay in a certain area and pull away from the star A LOT to cool down and scooping takes forever! I can go from low 60's to "Warning" and smoke in no time. NO idea why :(

I also have a Diamondback Explorer with highest grade fuel scoop and when I scoop with that ship, I get like 150t scooping and heat hardly moves and scooping a full tank takes very little time.

I am wondering why the differences. I guess my Krait just runs hotter, and wondering if there's any Engineering that can be done to fix the fuel scoop heat issue with Krait? I do see Fuel Scoop Engineer but wondering if that will help with Heat or just Rate of Scooping? I don't want to make the overheating problem worse.

Thanks!

I was wondering if you could give some advice about this issue Fuel Scoop Overheat issue I am having? Thanks!

I have a Krait MK II with the highest rated fuel scoop I could place on the thing and every time I fuel scoop a star, my heat goes crazy. The scoop doesn't even scoop that much, maybe it will get up to around 30 or 40t of scooping (but usually just like 5 to 15ts) but quickly overheats. In order to not overheat, I need to stay in a certain area and pull away from the star A LOT to cool down and scooping takes forever! I can go from low 60's to "Warning" and smoke in no time. NO idea why :(

I also have a Diamondback Explorer with highest grade fuel scoop and when I scoop with that ship, I get like 150t scooping and heat hardly moves and scooping a full tank takes very little time.

I am wondering why the differences. I guess my Krait just runs hotter, and wondering if there's any Engineering that can be done to fix the fuel scoop heat issue with Krait? I do see Fuel Scoop Engineer but wondering if that will help with Heat or just Rate of Scooping? I don't want to make the overheating problem worse.

Thanks!
Put a much bigger scoop on.
Don't use a heavily-overcharged powerplant.
Maintain your heat at 66%. Once it goes over, it will escalate quickly.
You can also try turning off unused modules while scooping, but that probably won't make a huge difference.
You can't engineer the scoop to make it cooler/faster.

Put a much bigger scoop on.
Don't use a heavily-overcharged powerplant.
Maintain your heat at 66%. Once it goes over, it will escalate quickly.
You can also try turning off unused modules while scooping, but that probably won't make a huge difference.
You can't engineer the scoop to make it cooler/faster.
Hmm, my quest for today was to get my Power Plant to Grade 5 Overcharged with Monstered Effect, since, with some other upgrades I am doing I will need the 40% extra power it will provide. Can I assume, if I do this to my Power Plant, it will make scooping in the Krait even worse? I can live with the Krait and it's overheating on Scooping, I don't use it to travel that far, it has a 26Ly range and my Explorer has a 50Ly range, so I use the Explorer for most far stuff. Sounds like I am just going to have to live with Krait and it's Scooping heat issue. Also, I believe I have the largest scoop I can put on the Krait but will double check.

Thank you! :)

Hmm, my quest for today was to get my Power Plant to Grade 5 Overcharged with Monstered Effect, since, with some other upgrades I am doing I will need the 40% extra power it will provide. Can I assume, if I do this to my Power Plant, it will make scooping in the Krait even worse? I can live with the Krait and it's overheating on Scooping, I don't use it to travel that far, it has a 26Ly range and my Explorer has a 50Ly range, so I use the Explorer for most far stuff. Sounds like I am just going to have to live with Krait and it's Scooping heat issue. Also, I believe I have the largest scoop I can put on the Krait but will double check.

Yes it should certainly make it worse. The biggest scoop you can put on the Krait (a 6A) will theoretically scoop at 878kg/s. In reality you could probably manage about two thirds of that without having the heat run away with itself. But if you're just squeezing in a, say, 2A scoop then you'd only be scooping at about 50kg/s, so it will take forever.

p.s., with the biggest fuel tank, my Krait can do about 7 max range jumps on a tank. So if you're not planning on going too far maybe you could go without the scoop.

Last edited:
Yes it should certainly make it worse. The biggest scoop you can put on the Krait (a 6A) will theoretically scoop at 878kg/s. In reality you could probably manage about two thirds of that without having the heat run away with itself. But if you're just squeezing in a, say, 2A scoop then you'd only be scooping at about 50kg/s, so it will take forever.

p.s., with the biggest fuel tank, my Krait can do about 7 max range jumps on a tank. So if you're not planning on going too far maybe you could go without the scoop.
I do have a 6A Scoop on it. I A Rated everything and literally, I am lucky to get any good scoop going before my ship has already gone up to 71 to 75, 79... 80.... smoke. I try to find a sweet spot to scoop, but there just doesn't seem to be one. I can keep the heat down, but I am scooping at such a low rate it's taking forever, if I move in a little closer to get the scoop rate up (and I have never ever seen anything lose to 878kg/s) to about maybe 30 or so kg/s, then the heat just goes way too high.

Anyway, thanks! I will play around with it, see what I can do, maybe go without the scoop and use the slot for something else. I do like having a scoop though, just in case. I've been stuck in non-scoopable stars, one after the other, before and get a little panicked tying to make it to a scoop star or a outpost. Thank you!

I do have a 6A Scoop on it. I A Rated everything and literally, I am lucky to get any good scoop going before my ship has already gone up to 71 to 75, 79... 80.... smoke. I try to find a sweet spot to scoop, but there just doesn't seem to be one. I can keep the heat down, but I am scooping at such a low rate it's taking forever, if I move in a little closer to get the scoop rate up (and I have never ever seen anything lose to 878kg/s) to about maybe 30 or so kg/s, then the heat just goes way too high.

Anyway, thanks! I will play around with it, see what I can do, maybe go without the scoop and use the slot for something else. I do like having a scoop though, just in case. I've been stuck in non-scoopable stars, one after the other, before and get a little panicked tying to make it to a scoop star or a outpost. Thank you!
That sounds odd - scooping should be a breeze with a 6A. It should only take a few seconds to top up your tank after a jump.

Maybe it's something to do with how you're scooping. Personally I get close to the exclusion zone, then throttle back to 30m/s. I also don't have my nose pointed either at the star, or greatly away from it - just have it pointed a bit under/over the star. As above, don't let heat go over 66%. Maybe see if there's a scooping video on Youtube and compare your technique.

The only other thing i would suggest is to check your powerplant efficiency rating. Maybe if it's something like 0.90 then what you're experiencing is normal - I don't have first hand experience of such high ratings myself.

Oh and some stars are hotter than others - maybe you've found a particularly hot one.

Something's not right!

Hmm, my quest for today was to get my Power Plant to Grade 5 Overcharged with Monstered Effect, since, with some other upgrades I am doing I will need the 40% extra power it will provide.

I run my Krait on 1 upgrade Overcharged and monstered what are you wanting to run .....a Cutter? :rolleyes: :D

I haven't even bothered to engineer the power plant in my Krait Mk2 but just checking and what you did to it has made the thermal efficiency 25% worse and on mine produces 40% more power than the ship uses.

That sounds odd - scooping should be a breeze with a 6A. It should only take a few seconds to top up your tank after a jump.

Maybe it's something to do with how you're scooping. Personally I get close to the exclusion zone, then throttle back to 30m/s. I also don't have my nose pointed either at the star, or greatly away from it - just have it pointed a bit under/over the star. As above, don't let heat go over 66%. Maybe see if there's a scooping video on Youtube and compare your technique.

The only other thing i would suggest is to check your powerplant efficiency rating. Maybe if it's something like 0.90 then what you're experiencing is normal - I don't have first hand experience of such high ratings myself.

Oh and some stars are hotter than others - maybe you've found a particularly hot one.

Something's not right!
I always Scoop the same way, have had many many ships... I run around the star's side (or MY side to star I should say), staying just outside (obviously) the exclusion ring with about 2 to 3 circling rings (the little lines you see next to the exclusion ring) just on the inner side of my A frame. I have also tried scooping with bottom to star, top to star, still overheats fast. I scoop same way, exactly, in my Diamondback Explorer and it sucks up plenty of fuel and fast, with very little if any increase in heat. I've done a bunch of upgrades to this Krait but I still had the issue before any upgrades, so yeah, it's odd.

I just checked the Krait and I had a 1A Fuel Scoop. I sold that and now have a 3A Fuel Scoop. Maybe this will work better with heat issue and fuel rate.

I just checked the Krait and I had a 1A Fuel Scoop. I sold that and now have a 3A Fuel Scoop. Maybe this will work better with heat issue and fuel rate.
Well your 1A would take about 12 minutes to fill the tanks from empty, the 3A will take about 3 minutes to do the same which while still painfully slow will help, a 6A scoop would take just over 30 seconds. Obviously the less time spent scooping the less heat you can pick up.

So it wasn't a 6A after all ("I do have a 6A Scoop on it") - now you know what was going on.
No, it was a 1A. I could only, given the build, place a 3A and that has helped big time. I still get hot fast, BUT, if I stay a certain distance away and even slightly angle my ship around the star, I can scoop now up to 160+ and maintain heat at about 65. I think I am good now. Nowhere near my other ships scooping, but will work for what I need. Thanks! :)

No, it was a 1A. I could only, given the build, place a 3A and that has helped big time. I still get hot fast, BUT, if I stay a certain distance away and even slightly angle my ship around the star, I can scoop now up to 160+ and maintain heat at about 65. I think I am good now. Nowhere near my other ships scooping, but will work for what I need. Thanks! :)
Think of heat a bit like an old car's engine. The more you have to rev it, the more it is straining, the hotter it will get. There's a lot to be said for a bigger module having to work less hard in terms of keeping the stress - and the heat - out of things.

Think of heat a bit like an old car's engine. The more you have to rev it, the more it is straining, the hotter it will get. There's a lot to be said for a bigger module having to work less hard in terms of keeping the stress - and the heat - out of things.
The heat doesn't come from the scoop, it comes from the star.

Top Bottom