Engineering upgrade question

I suppose I'll get the hang of it eventually, but I'll be tied if I can understand why a planetary landing tutorial mission isn'tincluded alongside the SRV one.

Planetary approach can take some getting used to.

The trick is to keep your speed and angle of approach both good while you are still in super cruise until 100km or less distance to the surface before dropping into glide.

Since my last post I've ( finally) engineered my AspX to 50 LY, having doggedly sought out the various materials including going to Dav's Hope twice, back to back trips. The first time I left there with two chemical processors ( ie #6) thinking that would be enough. I then moved on to Felicity, proud of all the grinding, and that's when I got a deeper appreciation of just how many mats it takes, especially for the chem mats, they don't spawn very often so it took a long time.
And having done this I'm amazed and how some of you have Engineered multiple, 8, 10 and more, just doing this one was fatiguing. Not difficult or 'hard' per se, just.. grind-ish.
That being said all that running around def improved my planet landing skills; at the beginning of the Engineers experiment I was barely competent, at this point I think I finally got the hang of planetary landings close to where I want to go.
Thanks to everyone who weighed in on this thread, I can't tell you how helpful the info is. I love Elite, really enjoy the game and am ALWAYS learning something. In fact I pick up at least one tip or another almost everytime someone posts here.

ico05TOh.png

PR0Zt5Ih.png

DDastardly00

D
Congrats on getting the AspX up to 50ly, Commander. May it treat you well on all your journeys.

Er, one last thing ? Take a look at the screens below, in order to achieve Grade 5 Engineering/FSD I have to hit the button six times, right ? What does 'available attempts' mean ?
Also, every time I've hit the button a new set of byproducts appears- do I want to do this ?? At what point are these Grade 5 'improvements' diminishing returns ? Clearly I stil don't understand the process. I've achieved 50ly with the AspX so far, as engineered. I'm good with that and no additonal negative byproducts, why do I want to continue upgrading ? Do I achieve favor/ rep with Felicity by hitting the button six more times and expending the additonal mats ? I sold well over a 1m cr's worth of exploration data to the station upon arriving, is there a benefit to this ?

Engineers for dummies, and I'm the dummy.

LQBxp4ah.png

g3CH0M0h.png

Er, one last thing ? Take a look at the screens below, in order to achieve Grade 5 Engineering/FSD I have to hit the button six times, right ? What does 'available attempts' mean ?

You only have 6 DWEs, so that is the most "rolls" you can do.

Also, every time I've hit the button a new set of byproducts appears- do I want to do this ?? At what point are these Grade 5 'improvements' diminishing returns ?

You can freely max out G5, you don't need to worry about the red, and you rarely do.
If you are on G1-4, you do not need to max out he mod, just go on to the next one when avail.

Clearly I stil don't understand the process. I've achieved 50ly with the AspX so far, as engineered. I'm good with that and no additonal negative byproducts, why do I want to continue upgrading ? Do I achieve favor/ rep with Felicity by hitting the button six more times and expending the additonal mats ? I sold well over a 1m cr's worth of exploration data to the station upon arriving, is there a benefit to this ?

Yes, you get the maximum red right off the bat, so you certainly want to keep rolling.
You may not want to keep rolling for the 100% blue. (I always do.)
The last little bit may not be worth it, but you've just cracked open G5.
You want that blue dial on the right almost full.

Also, you do want mass manager on an Asp Explorer, not deep charge.

PS, I never use exploration data to rank up engineers.
Just do modifications, since that is the whole reason you want the engineers unlocked anyhow.

I suggest using exploration data for permits like Alioth and Sirius etc.

Thanks so much for the reply! Elite is both amazing and overwhelming, at least from the standpoint of Engineers and how it works.
Just so I'm certain I understand- do I need to undue the Engineered AspX FSD, a do-over in order to make the changes you suggest ? Do I press undue the blueprint ?

i think you do not want deep charge on an ASP, but the optimized mass special effect. deep charge is better on very small FSD (class 2/3/4)

on the main upgrade, you might want to get this last half blue point on the progress circle to make it "done" but you wont gain a lot except the satisfaction of having it to maxxed.
remember you can switch modules between ships :)

also, the engineer will sell the modules he can mod. you can take your asp later to deciat, store the FSD you have engineered, buy a smaller one, engineer it, store it, take back your asp FSD, fly back, and remotely move from deciat your other FSD

that s quite convenient for ships that wont make the travel to Deciat fast enough.

example : FSD for an eagle. you dont want to go to DECIAT with an eagle, believe me :))
also, for my elder son, i made a 'quick exit' FSD with fast charge so he can run away from a bad fight in 2 seconds instead of 10.

welcome to the world on engineering :) and, well, if most of "us" have engineered many ships, it s also because we ve been playing for a long time.

recently i fully engineered a fer de lance, it took me almost all the mats i had and nearly a week. i feel you when you say "fatigued". but it s always worth it.

and finally, unlocking some engineers will be a long story. but if you get the RolePlay spirit, it s an adventure worth living :)

To switch to Mass Manager just click on Experimental Effect and pick it. It will override your current Experimental Effect.

You can re-engineer a module all together, yes, but I don't think that's what you want to do here.

Yes, I just want the Mass Manager. Do the mats return to me to be used on the reconfigurement ?

To switch to Mass Manager just click on Experimental Effect and pick it. It will override your current Experimental Effect.

You can re-engineer a module all together, yes, but I don't think that's what you want to do here.

Last edited:
You have to hit Experimental Effect and it will take you to another screen with a collum of all experimental effects, from there you can choose mass manager assuming you have the materials for it.

You will not get materials back from previous choices. Once used, they are gone forever.

Ahhh, maybe I'll just drop that Engineered 5A FSD into my Python ! Or Imperial Clipper ! Then Mass Manager the AspX from a remote station. Wadaya think ??

nope, there is no refunds :)
to change the experimental effect.... maybe try the X near the name of the special effect ? i have to admit i didnt change special effect often. but it is possible to do it. no need to destroy the module for that

Last edited:
Ahhh, maybe I'll just drop that Engineered 5A FSD into my Python ! Or Imperial Clipper ! Then Mass Manager the AspX from a remote station. Wadaya think ??

You cannot do experimental effects remotely.
You do not need to redo the module to change the experimental.
For that ship/FSD, it won't actually change your range much if at all, it will just use slightly less fuel.

I've come a long way since the original post, have now successfully FSD engineered two ships and feel like I sort of have a handle on how it works. A couple of things though;
  • the closer you get to G5 completion of the completion wheel, the more clicks of the button it takes to actually get there!!
  • Evira offers almost the same upgrades as Felicity does, at least for my explorer-purposed ships. The things I want to improve are in Felicity's wheelhouse, is there any real need to see Elvira, assuming Felcity offers the same upgrades ?
The best part of Engineering for me has been increasing my skill level at planet landing and driving the SRV. I took a couple of down-a-deep-crater tumbles in the SRV that I was sure would kill me- they didn't. The screen did go black a couple of times for a second, then it came back and i somehow rolled back to my wheels right side up. This was on a very low g planet.

Regarding Elvira Martuuk, it all depends on what other engineers you want access to. If you eventually want all engineers, you will need to rep up both Felicity and Elvira.

Felicity chains to Juri Ishmaak and he then chains to Colonel Dekker and "The Sarge"
Elvira chains to Marco Qwent, Zacariah Nemo and Mel Brandon. Marco Qwent then chains to Professor Palin and Lori Jameson.

You need to get an engineer into at least grade 3, around half way in, to unlock the next engineer that chains off of them. Arguably, Elvira is actually the better engineer compared to Felicity because Elvira not only chains along to more engineers, they are also arguably more useful engineers. I'm a huge fan of G5 dirty/drag drives though, so may be a bit biased (that's Palin's territory).

Back in the day, experimental effects were completely random.

People would grind and grind for materials. No mats traders either.

All sorts of exploits were discovered. If you drove for hours to find a thing. Then your friend would park their SRV at 90 degrees to you a hundred meters from the thing. One would drive forward shoot and collect and then leave the perimeter. Then the partner would have a turn. As long as one person was inside the perimeter the thing would continue to drop mats.

This was considered an exploit. Because even though it took ages to rig and set up - it bypassed hours and hours and hours and hours of driving across empty landscapes looking for these “things”. Crashed beacons or whatever.

I’ve seen one once.

And people would do this garbage until they had their gun tuned right. And if they had a G5 with the wrong experimental - do you throw it away or buy another gun and start rolling to G5 again?

Top Bottom