Epic Games Accounts - Rules & Considerations

Hello everyone! I'll try to keep this straight forward, short and sweet. I've done experimenting with the new Epic Games store and will now share with you some rules and tips so you can avoid wasting your time during account setup.

Rules for Elite accounts obtained via Epic Games Store:
  • Linking your copy of Elite purchased/obtained on the Epic Store to an existing PC account will result in your Epic account using the same CMDR from that account. This means that once the copy of Elite on Epic is no longer free, linking to a Frontier account with an established CMDR will waste your money and Epic account.
  • Epic Elite accounts can only be played via the Epic launcher. They are not playable via the Standard or Steam launchers.
  • If you create multiple Epic accounts and obtain a copy of Elite on each one, your Epic Games client must be logged into the purchasing Epic account in order to play the desired copy of the game. You can not simply log in to the alternate Epic account within the epic launcher.
  • When launching Elite from the Epic launcher after account linking has been completed; the launcher will automatically log in to the Frontier/Elite account associated with that epic account.
  • The Epic store version of the Elite launcher does allow you to log into your Standard or Steam purchased accounts after logging out of the auto-logged in Epic account.
  • The Epic install uses the same bindings, settings and control maps as the Standard and Steam installations of the Elite client as they are stored in your windows profile and not the installation folders. No configuration will be required for your alt accounts.

The above "rules" for the Epic store version of Elite were determined after establishing a new alt on my already existing epic account, creating a new epic account linked to a new gmail account for an intentional alt and creating a new epic account linked to the same email as my main account then linking that free copy to my main Frontier account.

Enjoy your free alts everyone!

EDIT @frontier: With how "exclusive" the Epic accounts for Elite are configured; I don't understand why this doesn't work the same as linking a PS4/XBox account to an established PC account. On my PS4 alt, which is linked to the same Frontier account as my main PC account I play a CMDR dedicated to that console. While playing in the same game world as my main PC account is a given; the account linking should work by using a different CMDR than the standard... At least that's the only way I can see avoiding the issue of refunds from accidental links of Epic accounts to established CMDR's when people inevitably use this as a means to procure alts after it is no longer free.

Thanks for the info!

At what point does the “account linking” happen? As soon as you purchase it or after you actually install and try to log in?

I use the same email so I don’t want to actually install it but I’ll just get it because it’s free. If the linking happens after the install and logging in then I’d have to change my email account associated with my Epic account before using the purchased game.

At what point does the “account linking” happen? As soon as you purchase it or after you actually install and try to log in?

I just did the process, but created an epic account with a different email address than I use for my main account.

I launched the game once installed through Epic, it gave me some screen to link an account, clicked on that it brought me to Frontier. At that point Frontier sent me an email to verify using the email I had used to create the Epic account. I'm sorry, but I wasn't paying attention and can't recall if it was possible to change emails at that point.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that while running the game through Epic, my keybindings remained!

I just did the process, but created an epic account with a different email address than I use for my main account.

I launched the game once installed through Epic, it gave me some screen to link an account, clicked on that it brought me to Frontier. At that point Frontier sent me an email to verify using the email I had used to create the Epic account. I'm sorry, but I wasn't paying attention and can't recall if it was possible to change emails at that point.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that while running the game through Epic, my keybindings remained!

For the Epic copy, did you have to download and install another copy of ED that it put in Epic’s installed games folder or did it use the copy you already had installed on your PC?

I know key bindings and such are the same because those are actually stored in your Windows profile folder but I mean the main game files that take up the majority of the space. Did it download another copy of those to use for the Epic install?

Well seeing as I can access both accounts from the Epic installed launcher and not from the steam installed one. I guess I'll uninstalling it from steam.

I've never had any issues with EGS and I'm not having two sperate installs for the same game. Bye Steam on this occasion.

Ok so it seems there is some issue with authenticating/verifying the Epic account in the launcher.

If I boot it up from the EGS I am automatically logged in. If I log out and try to log in again I get the verify your email message and code sent out. No matter how many time I put in the sent code I always get the purchase the item or use demo message. I can log in my Original FD account no worries here after the first verify your email code.

So I assume it must have some command line functions or something when booted up from the EGS to allow your new account to be logged in etc... thats probably what is stopping people logging in from their steam install.

Funny thing I have noticed when playing my Epic install (which is on a standard HD not the SSD like my Steam copy) is that is runs super smooth and about 5-10deg cooler than the steam copy ?!?! interesting...

How many of you, gaming remotely, have had to deal with multi-platform issues?

I have. Our group runs 2-3 sessions per week, and there is always the recourse to Steam, and Discord as the defaults.

Sounds complicated. I did create an Epic account and grab the game (3rd copy for me) but if I have to install the game files again and can only play through their launcher I don't think I'll bother. My main is through Steam and my first alt is direct from Frontier, and I just have two ED launcher shortcuts on my desktop that point to the Steam folder and a junction point to the same folder. That setup has worked great for me; only one set of files to update via Steam, but I don't even use the Steam client to launch. I was kinda hoping that the Epic copy would just be some kind of code that I could use to create a third Frontier account and add a third desktop shortcut...

Sounds complicated. I did create an Epic account and grab the game (3rd copy for me) but if I have to install the game files again and can only play through their launcher I don't think I'll bother. My main is through Steam and my first alt is direct from Frontier, and I just have two ED launcher shortcuts on my desktop that point to the Steam folder and a junction point to the same folder. That setup has worked great for me; only one set of files to update via Steam, but I don't even use the Steam client to launch. I was kinda hoping that the Epic copy would just be some kind of code that I could use to create a third Frontier account and add a third desktop shortcut...
Yes, I have just that situation and setup here too. And while a third account could be useful at times, if I have to maintain a whole separate install for it . . . I don't think that'll be practical. (I have pretty limited storage left at the moment.) I'll keep an eye out to see if there's a better way to do this, but I guess it may just not be in the cards.

Top Bottom