Elite / Frontier Every Version of Elite

Had to be asked, lol. Owning all those formats would be almost as impressive as owning the games, and I wouldn't expect you to have all of those computers / consoles set up.

Had to be asked, lol. Owning all those formats would be almost as impressive as owning the games, and I wouldn't expect you to have all of those computers / consoles set up.

Well... prepare to be amazed!! I do indeed have all the machines!! I collect computers from my childhood (Mostly 8bit) and have collection of around 60 machines now. I can run Elite in its REAL RAW and ORIGINAL form, on the actual hardware. The only thing I dont have, is the OPUS drive for the speccy.

Some people call me Geek, others call me Nerd. I am WAY WAY further along the scale than either :D

And to top it all..... I work in I.T. :cool:

I think its time for a wee play of Elite..... Lets choose.... Today I think I will play the Archimedes Version. On an actual Arch A310.... :D:eek:

I can run Elite in its REAL RAW and ORIGINAL form, on the actual hardware.

This is the only way to really experience Elite as it was intended, for me, Elite II + 060 powered Amiga 4000 = Gaming Nirvana :cool: You see, it becomes more than the game itself, it's the feel of the keys, the whir of the disk or cassette tapes, even the ageing electronic smell the machines give off as their elderly chips heat up. Yes, I know exactly where you are coming from loudscotsbloke. ;)

Emulators are all well and good, I use them often myself as they are just easier, but there is always that certain "something" lacking with them and that something is the machines themselves, be it a Speccy, an Electron, a C64, an Amstrad, a ST or a Miggy; they all have their own foibles which just add to the experience over and above that provided by the game itself.

To the rest of you out there with such "things" hidden away in your lofts for perhaps as much as 20 plus years, dig them out, fire them up and catch yourself grinning again just like you used to. :D

You can always put them away again, but perhaps after just one more trade run? ;)

Emulators are all well and good, I use them often myself as they are just easier, but there is always that certain "something" lacking with them and that something is the machines themselves, be it a Speccy, an Electron, a C64, an Amstrad, a ST or a Miggy; they all have their own foibles which just add to the experience over and above that provided by the game itself.

:D Totally agree. Emulators are ok, for a quick reminder..... BUT.... you have to play on the original kit. I just wish that I had a version of Elite for all my machines, but some of the more obscure machines, never got an official version, even though most are either Z80 or 6502 based machines. Time to play the Amiga version I think.

Brrr brrr brrr..... chug chug chug..... click click... brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr brrrrrrrrrrrr. I do love a good disk drive sound track.

and then a quick.... dooooooooooo doooh....... doooooooooooo sqeeeek.... doooooooooo screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech .... yes, the speccy 48 tape version. Then another beer. :D:D

Can you post a few pics of the Opus spectrum version and its contents please?

I believe this is hard to obtain due to being only available in the uk at boots on trade in of your cassette version. Considering the opus was nearly £200 at the time of an addition, not many people made the jump to it.

Hi, there was no official 128 version of Elite, a couple of fan re-engineered versions have popped up over the years. The official version was the C64 Disk Edition, that had a few extras if loaded on to a 128.
Sorry missed your answer.
You are the authority on this, but I'm confused.
I had the C64 disk version which I ordered from the UK at the time. It said COMMODORE 64 on the front. No mention of C128.
A friend later got the version with COMMODORE 64/128K on the front. My memory tells me he loaded that while the machine was in C128 mode (green load screen), but I have to admit, I'm not sure. I also have no idea if there were any real differences between the two, though I suspect not. I do know that the box was different though, and that we had problems running my C64 disk on the C128 in C64 mode. It would crash frequently.

From the original elite announcement back in the 80's. might explain the two versions of disk(but should be same package)?

Commodore 64/128

Some versions of disc Elite will only work on 1541 disk drives. This
version will display a white screen with groups of small red bands
across it as it loads. A special version has been made which will work with
ALL Commodore disc drives as well as American systems. When loading the
game with this version, the screen will turn red and the computer will ask
whether you want to use the fastloader (Y/N). You should press "Y" if you
have a 1541 disc drive or "N" if you have another type of drive. You may
upgrade old disc versions of Elite by returning JUST your disc with a
covering note explaining that you have a disc drive other than the 1541.

From the original elite announcement back in the 80's. might explain the two versions of disk(but should be same package)?

Interesting, and yes, that probably explains why my disk didn't work on the 128. My memory is a bit hazy here, but it might well be that it crashed during load.

I'm still convinced that the boxes we had were different though, and if you google "Commodore 128 Elite Box" you get several results with pictures of a box that says Commodore 64/128K. My box only had Commodore 64 on the front and I did have the disk version.

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
FFE is pretty hard to come by, you occasionaly see the others on ebay and the like but I've never seen it so kudos for having that.

Sadly thats the only one I have left. Still in mint condition though. :D

Philip Coutts

Volunteer Moderator
Yep, other than the five that are on Ebay right now, I've never seen it ;)

Seriously! Everytime I've ever looked the search comes up blank or it's someone selling a version that works on modern PC's not the actual original <scuttles off to look on ebay>

I can only find 1 boxed copy of the original for sale and it's in pretty good condition, might have a punt on it....

Last edited:
Top Bottom