Evochron Legacy: Is it worth it?

Don't compare Evochron to ED...

You should not compare Evocron to ED, you should compare it to Star Citizen. See what one guy and and few volunteers can do as opposed to Chris Roberts, hundreds of employees, 4 or is it 5 studios, and $178 million and counting...[haha] Jpegs vs an actual playable game. His fourth no less.[haha]

From what I've seen on the Steam page a lot of improvements were added in by Vice in the last few years, a couple major ones every year and the latest improving graphics in January this year.

It seems like the developer put in a lot of time and effort into making this into a great space game, and I can see that from the demo.

The only aspect that puzzles me is the fact that so few people play it... On steam charts I see 12 peak player in the last 30 days. If its such a good game, that a lot of people praise, why don't more people play it?

Thanks for bringing this game up again, I had forgotten that I had actually bought it... Just now started it, two days ago. I played Evochron Mercenary somewhat few years ago, but this is something else! I have now played EL twelve hours and starting to get familiar with mechanics, it is fantastic game and has ton's of stuff I wish ED had... Not going to replace ED in a long run (for me that is), but definitely puts things in perspective and makes you think why some basic stuff, like more varied missions and some basic hud elements (velocity vector) for faoff flying are so hard to make in ED... And EL is so similar to Elite that you just can't play it without making direct comparisons.

Actually, from what I've read, the developer is working on improving the graphics right now. In the latest patch he added improved textures, new very high graphics settings, new shaders. While this is great, I'm more interested in the gameplay aspect, if its fun, I don't really care if its slower paced, or not very "pretty".

This is the space sim I played for over two years before ED. I would recommend it especially considering the push to improve graphics and other stuff. This ^^ is good news and will crank mine up today to get the latest update.

Its not ED. Its universe is much more limited. But it has other things that make it a great game and you'll see my past comments and comparisons throughout this forum.

I much prefer the flight model. Its not pure Newtonian by any means but they did not nerf Newtonian to the degree ED has.
You can't see your crew (or yourself for that matter) but you can hire crew that makes your ship perform better in some respects or adds capabilities to your ship. Crews are only available for commercial ships; pure combat ships only have a pilot (no crew).
It has seamless planet landings but the structures are a bit primitive graphically. (maybe part of the upgrades)
You can build some impressive installation on planet and in space (I spent quite a while last year building big stations - somewhat tedious and takes practice placing modules)
You can craft weapons. You can ship weapons and sell them.
You can customize ships by adding different equipment modules and you can change the ships proportions to get different looks (kind of unique imho)
It has jump gates that, once mastered, can allow you to move across the EvoVerse fairly quickly
There are many other aspects of Evochron that make it a great space sim imho but it would take a w.o.t. to describe.

There are always bad with good.
The lack of players if you want to play PvP.
The small size of the Evochron universe compared to ED is somewhat of an issue if you are into exploration
Outdated graphics (sounds like they are working on this)

I'm going to launch it off and may have other comments later.
I recommend you Try the free trial.

GL HF

Edit: I launched EL after I wrote this. I already had the latest update from late last year. I went to the forums and read about the future changes. I thought there was an update based on what I read here but not yet. Patience is a virtue they say so I'll just keep engineering stuff in ED for now. Have a nice day

Last edited:
Thank you for the summary as well, Hank. So the graphics patch isn't released yet, but he plans to do it in the near future? Good to know.

Edit: But I see on the front page in Steam on the 8th of January this year this: "Version 1.0788 includes the following improvements:

- Civilian ship textures updated for more vivid coloring.
- Asteroid normal mapping updated for improved detail and light response.
- Shaders adjusted to reduce upper contrast levels under bright light conditions.
- 'Very High' option added for Effects Detail to expand available/selectable range.
- 'Very High' option added for Terrain Detail to provide optional higher texture detail for planets.
- 'Very High' texture detail mode added to provide double detail level above 'High' for certain objects...."

So at least a part of the graphics patch is released, but maybe there is more coming.

Last edited:
I played evo:mercenary years ago and enjoyed it.
Recently tried legacy, and had trouble getting into it. I think my biggest issue was the flight model. I've grown too accustomed to the ED flight model. Evo:legacy feels like steering a bus filled with water, just way too much over oversteering. The thrusters feel too quick and powerful for me.
Plus I've never been one to play multiple similar games at the same time. I'll just pick the one i like better and stick with that. Which in this case is currently ED.

Though it is crazy impressive that one developer was able to build this.

You really do not know anything about the game. Only talked nonsense and lies.

Just a few game features(there is a lot more):

1)You can land on planets and you are also able to deploy a Terrain walker and walk around the planet.

2)The game have a persistents POIs like BIG crashed Ships on planet surface and even you are able to booklog this place and return to it at anytime, And you can booklog any place in a planet.

3)A variety of customizations to be applied on ships at the level of weapons, shields, hull, engines, and even change the position of these on the ship.

3) you have cities over planet surfaces.

4) you can mining in space and in planets surfaces

4) You have planets with and without atmosphere, including gas planets.

5) The flight model is true newtonian.

6) The economy between words and systems works a lot better for trade.

7) Exploration is the best part, you can find many secrets and "places" even in space(And the best part of the exploration is that you do not need to consult Galnet News, nor receive newsletter. Just by playing and using the tools of the game, you can find it). You have atmospheric planets with rains, thunders storms, volcanics, blue skyes. The climatic and relief variety is abundant in the game. You have base stations inside asteroids. The list is immense.....

8)You can build stations.

Stop talking about what you do not know.;)

Like I said, only the graphics are not so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTez2BNQTqA

Wow, one guy did all that? I may just buy it to support him. But he really should do a kickstarter to hire people and boost the graphics.

Frontier should hire him as their lead game designer.

EDIT: I was watching some videos and it doesn't seem like this is a one man operation. And looking at the game, that's obvious. At least currently, it has backers and a team.

Last edited:
Wow, one guy did all that? I may just buy it to support him. But he really should do a kickstarter to hire people and boost the graphics.

Frontier should hire him as their lead game designer.

EDIT: I was watching some videos and it doesn't seem like this is a one man operation. And looking at the game, that's obvious. At least currently, it has backers and a team.

Actually from what I've read, it truly is the work of one developer with only a little outside help. Its impressive. Can't wait for a sale. I don't know why he doesn't do a kickstarter to expand the game more, but I've seen a reply on his forum in which he said that he got the game where he wanted, so maybe he thinks there is no point for extra funding.

Last edited:

Deleted member 102790

D
I think it is amazing. Already (only got recently) my favorite space sim ever.

I got Avroch Alliance as well. It has scripted missions in a story.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: NMS
So with Beyond out Ive uninstalled ED and X4 I want to give about a year for polish. So I need to get my space game fix from somewhere. I've decided to dive into Legacy and commit no matter how bad the learning curve.

I would be curious to hear about exploration tales beyond the established sectors if anyone could elaborate and share. One of the most interesting things I have read is whole star systems out in the black not being charted / showing up on the map. I would love to hear more! Especially if there's any must have mods that would be good to have for your first time. I would love to hear in-depth VR impressions also.

New update. Many graphics improvements, among other things, including for VR mode.

Version 1.0828 includes the following improvements:

- 'Map Modes' heading in navigation console changed to 'Map Displays' for clarity.
- Performance improvements associated with planetary terrain generation and placement.
- Shader effect that could potentially cause a tiling mismatch at lower terrain detail settings fixed.
- By request, fuel recovery near stars with a converter is now variable, providing a higher rate of fuel recovery the closer the player is to a star.
- New low sample rate rendering option added to the reflection system for the 'High' Effects Detail setting.
- Mining focal point expanded to support a larger material recovery field for very small asteroids.
- Docking indicators on compass updated for alignment with center-line docking angles.
- Mining beam focal point between cockpit view and external views better calibrated.
- Instructions updated to include information about medals/achievements.
- 'High' Effects Detail setting now default for a new installation.
- 'High' Shadow Detail setting now default for a new installation.

Notes:

The 'free fuel' option with the fuel converter has been expanded in this update to provide a faster potential recovery rate based on proximity to a star. Compared to the old rate, up to over 500% more fuel can be recovered in the same timeframe at close range (about 10-12K) or around 200-400% more at a greater distance (about 15-20K).

The 'High' Effects Detail setting now includes the new reflection effects at a lower sampling rate. This should allow slower systems to render the effects with significantly better performance when the 'High' setting is selected. The 'High' setting is also now the default value for a new installation of the game (when the 'sw.cfg' settings file doesn't already exist). Likewise, the new default value for Shadow Detail is also now 'High'.

Last edited:
Top Bottom