Expected more from Titans

My expectations were that the Titan battle combined space combat and on-foot boarding. For example: first disable the Titan's exterior defenses with a squad. Then dock so that a squad of on-foot players makes its way to the command deck. Defeat the Thargoid Boss and escape before the Titan explodes. However, it seems docking is impossible and a Titan is only defeated after Frontier enables the event.

Content that is difficult or tedious to access means many players won't do the Titan battle. So it's designed for a small percentage of the player base. If players aren't rewarded for 1 hour of shooting a Titan with some epic event or loot, that's disappointing.

Last edited:
Hey, there are only eight titans. It would be great fun for the first eight players, but what would rest of us do?

The Titans should respawn (fly in) to various locations so people can re-do the Titan battles to their hearts content. Also increase the number of Titans in the region.

I'm fairly certain that getting rid of a Titan is going to require a concerted effort by many commanders over a week or more. Sort of like a CG.

How is it fun for players shoot at a Titan for weeks or months to see a final sequence? That's like shooting at a mountain for 1 month and nothing happens, no big reward. I think that's boring. A battle vs a Titan should take maybe 1 hour with a squad; if you do well the Titan explodes or retreats.

Last edited:
I would have expected something like this:
boom.gif

Presumably the OP was thinking they'd jump to supercruise and drop back to the Titan and do it all again or really hadn't considered that they were playing an MMO.

Popular MMOs with a million+ subscribers have final bosses that can be done over and over. Play with a group to clear a dungeon, defeat the final boss, get loot. That's a rewarding game loop. Why would players do the same dungeon and boss multiple times? To get additional and better loot. This loot can be shared with party members, put on your character or sell at an auction house.

When compared to ED; the Titan is the final space boss of the Thargoids. After 1 hour of effort the players get no major reward. The boss (Titan) is not defeated either. It stays put like an immobile blob. This leaves certain players with a sour aftertaste.

I would have expected something like this:
View attachment 384719

Seconded. For example: after 1 hour of battling the Titan, a weak spot is revealed. Shoot torpedoes and it explodes or hyperspace jumps away. The players receive nice loot. If they want to do it again, go to the new location where the Titan exited hyperspace.

Last edited:
I've seen some videos of squadrons/wings/teams trying to take out the Titans and had a thought - has anyone tried to use conventional weapons with the 'Thermal Shock' experimental mod on the 'Titan's Thermal Core' ?

Popular MMOs with a million+ subscribers have final bosses that can be done over and over. Play with a group to clear a dungeon, defeat the final boss, get loot. That's a rewarding game loop. Why would players do the same dungeon and boss multiple times? To get additional and better loot. This loot can be shared with party members, put on your character or sell at an auction house.

When compared to ED; the Titan is the final space boss of the Thargoids. After 1 hour of effort the players get no major reward. The boss (Titan) is not defeated either. It stays put like an immobile blob. This leaves certain players with a sour aftertaste.

Seconded. For example: after 1 hour of battling the Titan, a weak spot is revealed. Shoot torpedoes and it explodes or hyperspace jumps away. The players receive nice loot. If they want to do it again, go to the new location where the Titan exited hyperspace.

But this isn't a game loop, this is an ongoing story, and once part of it ends that's it, history continues with other stuff, just like the Colonia Bridge can't be built over and over again, and Jaques can't jump his station over and over again. This isn't a traditional MMO where you can say start a new character and just play through all the original content again ad infinitum, soon the Titan's will be gone.....and I mean gone forever and new players will never have the experience of battling them, that's how the game is designed.

But this isn't a game loop, this is an ongoing story, and once part of it ends that's it, history continues with other stuff, just like the Colonia Bridge can't be built over and over again, and Jaques can't jump his station over and over again. This isn't a traditional MMO where you can say start a new character and just play through all the original content again ad infinitum, soon the Titan's will be gone.....and I mean gone forever and new players will never have the experience of battling them, that's how the game is designed.
I get that, but on the same token I also feel like the Titan's weren't as the OP described because they'll become a regular game loop.

Things that aren't game loops lend themselves to overly-complex things like the OP described.... but we know there's whole sectors of Thargoids out there behind permit locks. I've suggested elsewhere, but what I rekon we're likely to see is one of:
  • The odd Thargoid Titan or two occasionally striking the bubble in the future somewhat irregularly, like the old pre-Odyssey Thargoid invasions of the bubble but using the current mechanics; or
  • The bubble will be flushed out of Thargoids, but ( at least the Cone) Sector where Thargoids apparently inhabit will unlock, and there will be plenty of spires/titans to go mash up as-wants, maybe as part of PP v2

... as regular game loops. Bottom line is you don't put this much effort into mechanics and assets, only to never use them again once the story wraps up. Even things like Guild Wars, while they had their "world-narratives" that ceased at their conclusion, the relevant assets still get used as part of replayable "story instances".

The Titans should respawn (fly in) to various locations so people can re-do the Titan battles to their hearts content. Also increase the number of Titans in the region.
Problem with that would be a loss of "prestige", they were supposed to be a real threat to humanity as a whole... If you can get them alone, what would be the difference with an Interceptor? I agree with the comment saying that it would be better to have a CG that would be like Raids in WoW, with players having to unite and lead a concerted attack with differents ships having complementary builds. Then, there might be respawns, yeah.

That's basically what you do.
I thought so too... launching the torps at the heat vents feels very trench run like, including the torps making the curve to actually go into the vents.

a Titan is only defeated after Frontier enables the event.
I don't think Frontier does need to "enable the event". The Titans will be defeated once their bucket is filled. Nobody knows how long this will take, but it will happen. In the case or Taranis probably sooner than later.

Play with a group to clear a dungeon, defeat the final boss, get loot. That's a rewarding game loop. Why would players do the same dungeon and boss multiple times? To get additional and better loot. This loot can be shared with party members, put on your character or sell at an auction house.
Sounds like a very different game. Elite isn't your classic MMO. Never was, never will be.

Last edited:
Top Bottom