Expedition with a twist....a proposal......

I think I've seen CMDR Chiggy at the top, or near the top of a league table for most number of planets scanned.

My position, after playing Elite in the 1980s I got hooked on it again earlier this year. I've made it to Pioneer explorer rank.
I've done road to riches a few times to raise credits early on or get credits while meeting some other goal like unlock Palin. I don't want to game the system with road to riches anymore and grind out the remaining "points" to make Elite in exploration and I don't want to take passengers with a time limit to meet. I do want some kind of goal or destination.
This proposal is tempting, but 6 months is a long time commitment and I only have one account/CMDR.

I have two ships engineered maybe not to the extreme for exploring, but 9/10ths of the way there. An Anaconda and Krait Phantom. I'd pick the Phantom for it's supercruise agility speeding up the planet scanning process for this mission, plus its jump range (68.49 unladen) is better than I can get out of my Anaconda by the the time I've added toys like a fighter hanger and some reasonably powerful thrusters to make this big girl move in planetary atmospheres. What's the point in exploring with an Anaconda if you don't use it to take toys with you...?

With more engineering effort, I could extend the Phantom's jump range a couple more ly, but 68.49 is more than adequate near the core.

My total in game assets are under 650 million, so billions is a big prize, but I doubt I'll spend enough playing time to win it. I'd be happy to make Elite Explorer while meeting some other goal, like discovering ELW near the core with a group.

How about 2 months and starting in September when I'm not away from computers on holiday?
Maybe this challenge is a bit too big for me and the time I can put into it.

Steam regularly have Elite Dangerous on offer at really cheap prices, not at the moment but keep checking and you can have a dedicated exploration account for less than a fiver.
Bought it for £4.99 for my son on Steam, which made me feel a fool for paying £19.99 a few weeks earlier direct from Frontier. It's a good point, but it takes so many hours to get the credits, materials and engineers going I cannot face doing it all a second time, even though it would be far quicker second time around.

question 1: is there some reliable tool to track progress of "competing" explorers?
question 2: are you going to hunt ELW's, or you will have other targets with different value?
question 3: will you need more supporting carriers?

My plan was to just have members of the expedition turn in their finds at the end...and verify through EDSM

I'll definitely be hunting ELWs as well but won't be in the actual contest.

As for other carriers...I guess it would mostly depend on how many CMDRs participate...I have no objections to it.

My plan was to just have members of the expedition turn in their finds at the end...and verify through EDSM

I'll definitely be hunting ELWs as well but won't be in the actual contest.

As for other carriers...I guess it would mostly depend on how many CMDRs participate...I have no objections to it.
Is the expedition only going to be held in the galactic centre region or the surrounding regions as well? In any case my fc will be positioned in the Empyrean straits in the upcoming days. I could move it further in if there would be a demand for it.

Is the expedition only going to be held in the galactic centre region or the surrounding regions as well? In any case my fc will be positioned in the Empyrean straits in the upcoming days. I could move it further in if there would be a demand for it.

I'm scouting out an area to park while my carrier decommissions (quicker than moving it to the bubble) I'm planning on straddling the line between the Galactic Centre and Empyrean Straits, just not sure on exact spot yet....looking for another big hot spot like the ZUNOU sector...I've found "my" Galactic average for ELWs is around 1 in 70 filtering for D mass systems....Many of the sectors we searched in the ZUNOU sector came close to cutting that in half...but, that being said..it'll be a free range event. It's so dense in the core, several dozen CMDRs could search the same 200 LY radius area and never run across another tag for months....

With more engineering effort, I could extend the Phantom's jump range a couple more ly, but 68.49 is more than adequate near the core.
I was always wondering: Why would an explorer ship (especially near the core) need a huge jump range? I usually explore in my 40ly Cobra and take out the 63ly DBX only for a quick "let's look at that nebula" run or when diving deep down/up the plane. ELWs can pop up in a large number of different systems, anyway.

Am I missing a trick here?

I was always wondering: Why would an explorer ship (especially near the core) need a huge jump range? I usually explore in my 40ly Cobra and take out the 63ly DBX only for a quick "let's look at that nebula" run or when diving deep down/up the plane. ELWs can pop up in a large number of different systems, anyway.

You don't, once you get to the core. But, if you have an extreme range ship and run in Eco-mode...you can make hundreds of jumps without refueling after you arrive...least I do anyhow. A lot for me depends on the method I'm using for hunting ELWs...trolling for good spots or strip mining once I have located a promising sector.

I'm scouting out an area to park while my carrier decommissions (quicker than moving it to the bubble) I'm planning on straddling the line between the Galactic Centre and Empyrean Straits, just not sure on exact spot yet....looking for another big hot spot like the ZUNOU sector...I've found "my" Galactic average for ELWs is around 1 in 70 filtering for D mass systems....Many of the sectors we searched in the ZUNOU sector came close to cutting that in half...but, that being said..it'll be a free range event. It's so dense in the core, several dozen CMDRs could search the same 200 LY radius area and never run across another tag for months....

I've decided. Count me in! :)

OK I want to join in on this but I'm away from computers most of August and I might not stay the whole 6 months. So long as I know where the "base" carrier is, I can fly out there myself and contribute what I can for the time I participate.
Would I be right to assume the carrier will have maintenance and outfitting? Could I buy a vehicle hanger from it or at least replacement SRVs?
It'll save a bit of weight on the trip there if there is.

When you are actually exploring planet to planet, the long jump range is close to meaningless - just the low fuel consumption jump is a negligible advantage.
Where the long jump range counts, is getting away from the bubble or Colonia to find uncharted space quicker, getting out 1000 to 2000ly places like Guardian sites or places where top grade raw materials can be collected and traded at the raw materials trader for a max supply of all the materials an explorer needs to synthesis oxygen, AFMU ammo, SRV repairs/ammo/fuel etc.
Then when you've had enough exploring for a while, the long jump range gets you home faster.
The other useful thing about having components engineered for long jump range, is you can use many of them to speed up travel for your cargo transport / mining ship and combat/multi-role ship.
For this mission near the core where you hitch a ride on a fleet carrier, take the ship that you will enjoy being in the most.
I would take my Anaconda, but the supercruise turn rate makes nipping around a system scanning planets a chore. Fortunately I like my Krait Phantom just as much, it's agile in and out of supercruise, handles planet landings very well and the way I have it engineered, has a longer jump range than the Anaconda.
At the extreme, an Anaconda doesn't beat a Phantom by much on jump range.

When you are actually exploring planet to planet, the long jump range is close to meaningless - just the low fuel consumption jump is a negligible advantage.
Where the long jump range counts, is getting away from the bubble or Colonia to find uncharted space quicker, getting out 1000 to 2000ly places like Guardian sites or places where top grade raw materials can be collected and traded at the raw materials trader for a max supply of all the materials an explorer needs to synthesis oxygen, AFMU ammo, SRV repairs/ammo/fuel etc.
Then when you've had enough exploring for a while, the long jump range gets you home faster.
The other useful thing about having components engineered for long jump range, is you can use many of them to speed up travel for your cargo transport / mining ship and combat/multi-role ship.
For this mission near the core where you hitch a ride on a fleet carrier, take the ship that you will enjoy being in the most.
I would take my Anaconda, but the supercruise turn rate makes nipping around a system scanning planets a chore. Fortunately I like my Krait Phantom just as much, it's agile in and out of supercruise, handles planet landings very well and the way I have it engineered, has a longer jump range than the Anaconda.
At the extreme, an Anaconda doesn't beat a Phantom by much on jump range.
Incidentally, the reason I would not use a Cobra MK3 for exploring where I do planetary landings has nothing to do with jump range. The Cobra has a big hull for a class 4 shield generator and once a heat sink launcher is fitted you only have space for 1 shield booster. No amount of engineering will make its shield strong enough to save the ship if you slip up on a high G planet landing and hit the ground hard. Other ships have better shield generator and booster vs. hull size (weight) ratios that make it possible with engineering to have light weigh low power shields good enough to make the ship as good as indestructible on landings.

Incidentally, the reason I would not use a Cobra MK3 for exploring where I do planetary landings has nothing to do with jump range. The Cobra has a big hull for a class 4 shield generator and once a heat sink launcher is fitted you only have space for 1 shield booster. No amount of engineering will make its shield strong enough to save the ship if you slip up on a high G planet landing and hit the ground hard. Other ships have better shield generator and booster vs. hull size (weight) ratios that make it possible with engineering to have light weigh low power shields good enough to make the ship as good as indestructible on landings.
A close to indestructible DBX that didn't even need a Guardian FSD booster to make 60+ly jump range.
Uses engineered FSD V1 from a technology broker plus mass manager effect that would have to be redone if you ever moved this class 5 FSD to a bigger ship. Do as much engineering on shields and boosters as you can. Grade 3 on shields and grade 1 on shield boosters easier to get than going higher. Alternatively go for heavier 0A Shied Boosters until you can do the engineering on 0Es.

Last edited:
OK I want to join in on this but I'm away from computers most of August and I might not stay the whole 6 months. So long as I know where the "base" carrier is, I can fly out there myself and contribute what I can for the time I participate.
Would I be right to assume the carrier will have maintenance and outfitting? Could I buy a vehicle hanger from it or at least replacement SRVs?
It'll save a bit of weight on the trip there if there is.
The carrier will be fully outfitted with all options..including shipyard. No date has been set on departure, but it wont be before September I imagine.

Top Bottom