Release [Explorer's Application] Captain's Log

Really weird!

I can't explain it.

The only odd thing I can see which might cause trouble is your folder name "[ Steam ]". Now, I realise that the "[" and "]" aren't necessarily illegal filename characters for Windows, but I can kind of foresee something like that causing some bother in some way. Not saying that's what's causing it, but so far you're the only one to be reporting that CL isn't working in the manner in which it isn't working for you.

Certainly seems that you've configured everything correctly, and I can't see any obvious problems in the screenshots you've provided.

So the only thing I can see which might be causing this oddity, is the square brackets (even though technically speaking they're not illegal folder name characters.)

In fact, after a bit of research, I'm absolutely convinced the square brackets in your folder name are what's causing problems for Captain's Log. I use a certain function in Python (called glob) which, it turns out - can't really handle square brackets in folder names in the "normal" way...

This StackOverflow article explains the problem;

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2595119/python-glob-and-bracket-characters

There are two ways in which your problem can be fixed...

Either you rename that folder and remove the square brackets - which should get CL up and running properly,
Or you wait until the next version of CL is released. I will try to get a fix in for that for this next version.

Renaming that folder might not be an option for you, as there is the possibility that other games or applications might be expecting the folder name to be the same, and might not work after you rename that folder.

So it looks like you might just have to wait for the next version of CL.

Well, you learn something new every day!

Incidentally, even Microsoft Excel had problems trying to save Excel worksheets in folders which had square brackets in their name ;)

To be honest, in my almost 3 decades of being in IT, I've never put square brackets in a folder name on any operating system. I've always had it in my head that those are illegal filename characters, along with others like * and " for example. But it really seems like [ and ] are legal characters.

Like I say, you learn something new every day ;)

I will change that, then. I have used brackets for years in IT to put more "important" folders ahead of the rest. Thank you and I will let you know if that resolves the issue.

I look forward to using your app. I have some long journeys ahead of me. I appreciate your work and contribution to the community!! :)

I will change that, then. I have used brackets for years in IT to put more "important" folders ahead of the rest. Thank you and I will let you know if that resolves the issue.

I look forward to using your app. I have some long journeys ahead of me. I appreciate your work and contribution to the community!! :)

Steam might hate you for renaming that folder, remember :)

Don't say I didn't warn you :)

I'm off to bed now. Drop a line here to let me know if it worked or not!

Regards o7

Steam might hate you for renaming that folder, remember :)

Don't say I didn't warn you :)

I'm off to bed now. Drop a line here to let me know if it worked or not!

Regards o7

Victory!!

CL5.png

Thank you and good night! :)

I'll deal with Steam... :D

Victory!!

View attachment 96281

Congrats :). It's a game changing program. Genar has really helped to renew my interest in ED exploration, by making it possible to back track and share information easily. The ability to log and parse my own data also makes it much more fun to collect data and scan even ice planets because now I finally have enough buttons to push while exploring ;)

Last edited:
I absolutely love this program! I was looking for a way to track my progress, and I'm loving the easy way of copying my current system name.

I'm wondering if I'm missing something. My PC is powerful, and clicking a planet to add it to the system is slow. Very slow. Slow enough that I don't do it. Is there a setting I need to change?

Thanks!

I absolutely love this program! I was looking for a way to track my progress, and I'm loving the easy way of copying my current system name.

I'm wondering if I'm missing something. My PC is powerful, and clicking a planet to add it to the system is slow. Very slow. Slow enough that I don't do it. Is there a setting I need to change?

Thanks!

See if the upcoming next version will solve that - I've been tweaking things like threading in CL and it seems much smoother now - I'll get back to you all when the new version is ready to be unleashed. Some stuff still to do yet :)

Regards o7

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Victory!!

View attachment 96281

\o/

Regards o7

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Congrats :). It's a game changing program. Genar has really helped to renew my interest in ED exploration, by making it possible to back track and share information easily. The ability to log and parse my own data also makes it much more fun to collect data and scan even ice planets because now I finally have enough buttons to push while exploring ;)

Awesome words Ziljan :)

Regards o7

Dim question number 42: Is there anyway of adding historically visited systems (I only installed Captains Log last night)?

Love the simplicity, if I cant add previous systems it is not an issue as I love it anyway.

Dim question number 42: Is there anyway of adding historically visited systems (I only installed Captains Log last night)?

Love the simplicity, if I cant add previous systems it is not an issue as I love it anyway.

If you've had Verbose Logging set for a while, you might have enough logs to reconstruct your voyages by scanning them and importing them to a database in the Database Manager - that's where the button is.

If you haven't had verbose logging on, then the only people who know where you've been, are yourself and FDEV I'm afraid.

Regards o7

If you've had Verbose Logging set for a while, you might have enough logs to reconstruct your voyages by scanning them and importing them to a database in the Database Manager - that's where the button is.

If you haven't had verbose logging on, then the only people who know where you've been, are yourself and FDEV I'm afraid.

Regards o7

Thanks, I have had it on for a while so will give it a try. Thanks again for your help.

A request:

After mapping several systems I realized only one thing was missing as far as I can see (and it may be there and I am not seeing it). The ability to make a Journal Log... Something that will record either from the system (not just notes in the system, but a logged by time/date/system and a checkbox to note if it is a 'Personal Log' which records date/time but doesn't need system. Then there is a running commentary 'blog' that takes each new entry for the journal. Not all comments in the journal are related to notes but I CAN refer to the system notes in the Journal or the other way around, having to search for a wanted system note means I have to remember them. My memory sucks (see stroke effects). So being able to look over my journal would be fantastic. And anyone who has made a Captain's Log at sea will note there is a Navigation Log (which is your product) and a Captain's Log (which is what I'm suggesting) that are kept together

One suggestion that I have is to list the brown dwarf types (Y and T) as both stars and planets. They're kind of in between, and while they can be primary, they can also be like one of the planets in the system and the ability to list them as such would make for a neater and clearer system body list. Nothing really major, though.

I am not sure if this was brought up before, but would the ability to add the various asteroids be worthwhile?

After using it for the first night, I find myself wanting to check out every nook and cranny in every system I enter. I can only imagine that's a good thing. Congrats, again, on such a splendid utility! :D

A request:

After mapping several systems I realized only one thing was missing as far as I can see (and it may be there and I am not seeing it). The ability to make a Journal Log... Something that will record either from the system (not just notes in the system, but a logged by time/date/system and a checkbox to note if it is a 'Personal Log' which records date/time but doesn't need system. Then there is a running commentary 'blog' that takes each new entry for the journal. Not all comments in the journal are related to notes but I CAN refer to the system notes in the Journal or the other way around, having to search for a wanted system note means I have to remember them. My memory sucks (see stroke effects). So being able to look over my journal would be fantastic. And anyone who has made a Captain's Log at sea will note there is a Navigation Log (which is your product) and a Captain's Log (which is what I'm suggesting) that are kept together

Wouldn't the Jump Notes suffice for that?

They're separate from the System notes in that they're unique per jump - and if you think about it - every jump happens at a certain date and time and always move forward in time - that's why I included Jump Notes - think of them as being the "Captain's Log", after all, anything which is going to happen to you, will happen after you jump into a system. ;)

As per the documentation; System Notes are unique per System, Jump Notes are unique per jump.

Regards o7

UPDATE : New version released : 1.3.0 – the “Lacks Gravitas” release

BamfQbF.png

Read the updated documentation below for more details I will update the documentation after I get some rest! I’m too tired tonight!
Changelog:
1.3.0 “Lacks Gravitas”
NEW FEATURE: Colour customisation!

RmzQd5f.png

xnXao4x.png

H4sRcEo.png

NEW FEATURE: Screenshot Detector/Converter/Renamer!

LYNVlMc.png

NEW FEATURE: AutoQueueing and Auto-Uploading to Imgur!

Mu2KUbj.png

NEW FEATURE: Added a global hotkey which either unfurls/rolls up Captain’s Log whilst in overlay mode, or it’ll bring the Captain’s Log window in front when not in overlay mode. The hotkey is hard coded to ALT-C

NEW FEATURE: Configuration Manager comprising of old Database Manager, new Screenshots Manager, new Imgur Manager, new Colour Manager, old System Bodies window, and a new Miscellaneous Options tab.

BUGFIX : Fixed a bug in the directories configuration whereby if ED’s logs directory was called “logs” instead of “Logs”, Cl wouldn’t configure the logs directory.

BUGFIX : The Single-click-to-clipboard System Name widget for the Bookmarks Manager is now visible and usable. (It existed, but its coordinates were set to somewhere off the Window area for some odd reason ;)

ENHANCEMENT: Captain’s Log now uses a plaintext INI file format to store its configuration. Exisitng old-format .CFG files will be converted to the new INI format and deleted once converted and saved. The new configuration file is called captainslog.INI

ENHANCEMENT/BUGFIX: Catch an error where CL can’t find the configured AppConfig.xml file and force the user to reconfigure CL. This usually indicates either a problem with the game files, or an update to the game has caused game files to be relocated.

ENHANCEMENT : Moved Bodies management into the Configuration Manager tab.

ENHANCEMENT: The Database Manager has been moved into the new Configuration Manager, and the layout has been changed to separate Database operations from other functions.

ENHANCEMENT: Checking for new versions now optional – can manually check if disabled – option saved in INI file.

ENHANCEMENT: jumps in the Jump Table which are bookmarked are now more obviously coloured

---------------------------------

I'm too tired to update the documentation tonight - download and install the new version, have a play around with it - the UI should be easy enough/intuitive enough to figure out what's going on. Think of it as a test ;)

Send bug reports to /dev/null tonight - I'm off to bed ;)

Enjoy! o7

Last edited:
Awesome can't wait to try it out! I just thought of a feature that i think would be very simple but yet very useful. I way to click on something that will appoint that system or body as "First Discovered" so you can quickly find the stuff you discovered.

I am looking for a solution to an issue I am having. Captain's Log works outstanding. This is not an issue with the app, per se.

I am streaming E: D. I have a dedicated streaming PC and my PC in which I game on. I need to be able to use CL on my gaming rig while the streaming PC is open accessing the database. I play in 21:9 but broadcast in 16:9, therefore I have room for some extra bells and whistles, one of which is displaying Captain's Log to the viewers. Since the database only allows for one user to be in it at a time (from what I have read), I cannot simply point to the databases on a shared drive.

Thank you in advance.

Also, what were the values for the previous color scheme? My HUD happens to align with the blue theme. Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update, does the screenshot renamer/converter only do this for standard screenshots or for high resolution (alt+F10) ones as well?

Back
Top Bottom