Release [Explorer's Application] Captain's Log

Captains log starts on the desktop, and doesn't show up in Elite Dangerous. It worked properly when first installed, but now I can't get it to be present within ED.

Captains log starts on the desktop, and doesn't show up in Elite Dangerous. It worked properly when first installed, but now I can't get it to be present within ED.

Make sure ED is running in borderless mode, not fullscreen.

That, and, if you're using Overlay mode, the main window will disappear when the game starts running, and you'll be left with a smaller overlay widget - to get the main window, use the ALT-C hotkey.

I am trying to combine the 2 DB files I have. I have tried to "scan all logs and import into DB" on a new DB but nothing seems to ever populate.

This is in CL 2 beta 6 all DB files were creates in CL 2 beta 6 as well.

Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited:
I am trying to combine the 2 DB files I have. I have tried to "scan all logs and import into DB" on a new DB but nothing seems to ever populate.

This is in CL 2 beta 6 all DB files were creates in CL 2 beta 6 as well.

Am I doing something wrong?

Try:

1) create new DB

2) switch to new DB

3) import from logs

I just tried it here and it worked for me. You will receive no feedback during the import - the db will reload once the import has complete.

Regards.

Last edited:
Try:

1) create new DB

2) switch to new DB

3) import from logs

I just tried it here and it worked for me. You will receive no feedback during the import - the db will reload once the import has complete.

Regards.

Should I do this in game or out? Also was this quick or did it take a while?

Last edited:
Just want to say that I have recently started using the 2.6 Beta, and have used V1.X since ED 1.4. Love them, love the stats and numbers and having something to do whilst flying hundreds of thousands of light seconds between stars. thannk you so much for such a wonderful app and looking forward to the future with V2.

Sat on a minimum of 11.5 million in exploration data at the moment, can't wait to hit the 16 million mark and head back to the pill and turn the data into an Asp o7

I am new to this awesome App - thnak you for taking the time to develop this
Just one question - I use a HTC Vive whilst running ELite - is there a way to get the ingame Overlay to work within the VR Elite ?

Regards

Eric

I am new to this awesome App - thnak you for taking the time to develop this
Just one question - I use a HTC Vive whilst running ELite - is there a way to get the ingame Overlay to work within the VR Elite ?

Regards

Eric

There's no direct way of injecting the window into the Vive, as I believe the Vive uses its own frame buffer.

I think there are applications out there which claim to be able to make an ordinary windowed program to appear within a VR display. I don't know if these work properly or not, as I can't afford things like Vives. :)

Regards

I am sorry I still cant get it to import db files.

I tried what you said.

Here is what I am doing step by step.

Load Capstans log 2
Go to configure
Create a new DB this time I am calling it import
Switch to Import DB, this closes configure menu
Reopen configure and scan all log and import to db.

I left this over night and it was still on the configure DB screen when I wok up this morning.

When I check the capstans log 2 database folder on my system I notice it has created 2 new files. GALAXY.db-journal and import.db-journal

My GALAXY.db file is only 154KB so I wouldn't think the import would take more then a few minutes. If there is any thing I can do to trouble shoot let me know.

I am sorry I still cant get it to import db files.

I tried what you said.

Here is what I am doing step by step.

Load Capstans log 2
Go to configure
Create a new DB this time I am calling it import
Switch to Import DB, this closes configure menu
Reopen configure and scan all log and import to db.

I left this over night and it was still on the configure DB screen when I wok up this morning.

When I check the capstans log 2 database folder on my system I notice it has created 2 new files. GALAXY.db-journal and import.db-journal

My GALAXY.db file is only 154KB so I wouldn't think the import would take more then a few minutes. If there is any thing I can do to trouble shoot let me know.

Hmm. Odd.

Those -journal files are rollback journals...

A rollback journal is a temporary file used to implement atomic commit and rollback capabilities in SQLite. (For a detailed discussion of how this works, see the separate document titled Atomic Commit In SQLite.) The rollback journal is always located in the same directory as the database file and has the same name as the database file except with the 8 characters "-journal" appended.

It's also slightly concerning.

The rollback journal is usually created when a transaction is first started and is usually deleted when a transaction commits or rolls back. The rollback journal file is essential for implementing the atomic commit and rollback capabilities of SQLite. Without a rollback journal, SQLite would be unable to rollback an incomplete transaction, and if a crash or power loss occurred in the middle of a transaction the entire database would likely go corrupt without a rollback journal.

The rollback journal is usually created and destroyed at the start and end of a transaction, respectively. But there are exceptions to this rule.

If a crash or power loss occurs in the middle of a transaction, then the rollback journal file is left on disk. The next time another application attempts to open the database file, it notices the presence of the abandoned rollback journal (we call it a "hot journal" in this circumstance) and uses the information in the journal to restore the database to its state prior to the start of the incomplete transaction. This is how SQLite implements atomic commit.

It might mean that CL2 is crashing whilst trying to perform the Journal import. And since CL2 beta 6 provides no feedback, and you aren't seeing an actual crash message, then I don't know exactly what is happening during the import.

I will try to release beta 7 this week - and will include some logging or verbosity of some kind into the import function, so perhaps we can figure out what is happening. My first thought is that the problem might be due to changes made in the Journal file between EDH 2.2.0, which were unannounced until the game patch was released, and meant I and the other 3rd-party app authors) had to rush out a new version of our respective apps. I may have failed to catch all the potential 'gotchas' for the import function.

What might be helpful would be to provide me with all your Player Journal files, so that I could try to import them into a DB myself.

If you are prepared to do that, zip them all up (they're in the Saved Games folder) and Private Message me a download location and I'll have a look at it.

Buggy McBugface

I have tracked down the problem, after being sent the Journal files - thanks, Tirello!

In journal file named Journal.16110155005.01.log at the beginning of the file there is this sequence...

{ "timestamp":"2016-11-01T19:50:05Z", "event":"Fileheader", "part":1, "language":"English\\UK", "gameversion":"2.2", "build":"r125374/r0 " }
{ "timestamp":"2016-11-01T19:52:54Z", "event":"LoadGame", "Commander":"<redacted>", "Credits":<redacted>, "Loan":0 }
{ "timestamp":"2016-11-01T19:52:54Z", "event":"Rank", "Combat":<redacted>, "Trade":<redacted>, "Explore":<redacted>, "Empire":<redacted>, "Federation":<redacted>, "CQC":<redacted> }
{ "timestamp":"2016-11-01T19:52:54Z", "event":"Progress", "Combat":<redacted>, "Trade":<redacted>, "Explore":<redacted>, "Empire":<redacted>, "Federation":<redacted>, "CQC":<redacted> }
{ "timestamp":"2016-11-01T19:54:13Z", "event":"LoadGame", "Commander":"<redacted>", "Ship":"Asp", "ShipID":1, "GameMode":"Group", "Group":"Mobius", "Credits":<redacted>, "Loan":0 }

Notice the two LoadGame event entries.

The one I've highlighted in red is the problematic one.

In my JSON parser, I am expecting there to be the Ship, ShipID, GameMode, and Group keys, according to the Player Journal documentation as supplied by FDEV.

For whatever reason - there are two entries of the LoadGame event. The one in red doesn't have these keys. The one in green does.

That errant LoadGame line caused a KeyError, and CL2 stopped the currently running function, which, in this case, was the import loop.

There is another file which also exhibits this same errant LoadGame line : Journal.161201202217.01.log

{ "timestamp":"2016-12-02T01:43:57Z", "event":"LoadGame", "Commander":"<redacted>", "Credits":<redacted>, "Loan":0 }

Your immediate solution is to remove the incorrect LoadGame lines which I've highlighted in red, from those two files.

I can't see a pattern as to why those lines are added in the nonconforming way they are in those Journal files. At first I thought it was due to the preceding DockSRV events in front of those, but there are plenty of other DockSRV events preceding the LoadGame events which are in the correct format.

I also checked the most recent Player Journal documentation and there is nothing to suggest there can be two different versions of the LoadGame event.

In any case, I should make the import function/loop more robust, in order to make sure that when something unexpected does happen, the loop continues execution.

Also I should file a bug report with FDEV.

Okay so it seems the cause of the spurious LoadGame entries is due to loading CQC/Arena.

I will make the appropriate adjustments in time for beta 7.

Hi

I run ED on two separate PCs (home and work), with the same CMDR.

CL2 is running fine on my home PC, and it's am excellent tool.

But some jump info is obviously missing since the jumps were made on my work PC.

I'd like to know if I can merge the log files from both PCs?

Hi
I run ED on two separate PCs (home and work), with the same CMDR.
CL2 is running fine on my home PC, and it's am excellent tool.
But some jump info is obviously missing since the jumps were made on my work PC.
I'd like to know if I can merge the log files from both PCs?

About merging I won't tell, but I have setup the following for 2 my places:
* I got Dropbox running on both PCs
* specified CL folder inside Dropbox synchronizing folder
* do not forget to close CL after using so it releases files for synchronizing.

Back
Top Bottom