Release [Explorer's Application] Captain's Log

Fantastic!!! Bravo!!! Repped!!!

I also use EDDiscovery now, and although I love it, it performs extremely sluggish while elite is running. It takes ages to "update" the list. Really a downer. Hope this doesnt happen with your program.

But even if so, I will still use it becuase it allows me to record much more than EDD in an easier, more visual way. Thanks for that!!

I saw you giving a peek in another thread a couple of weeks ago and was waiting this release!!

Only thing is, I am not playing atm, just waiting for the PP to be stable....dont wanna risk lose data or exploration time, but will give feedback as soon as I try it!

Thanks again for developing this!!

Speed should be okay - takes a bit of time to build the jump table, but not too long, and I've tested it with over 2500 jump entries. Once the initial jump table is built, the program's speed is fine.

Of course - now that its got additional beta testers, I'm sure the faults (and there will be faults) will come creeping out of the woodwork ;)

Regards

Following my School Boy error of deleting the Default database, I now get the following Error after having un-installed and re-installing: -

11-06-2015 15-02-34.jpg

Any idea or advice on a fix?

When I click on 'OK' it just closes the application.

Thanks & Regards

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
Wow, nice tool. I did miss it but Notones was so kind to mention it today in my "third party tools" thread and I have added it to ED3PTT (see OP my thread). Hopefully that way it gets the exposure it truly deserves. Brilliant job.

Last edited:
Updated to 1.0.0 beta 3

UPDATE : New version released : 1.0.0 Beta 3

Changelog :

- Custom database locations were not being looked at by the Database manager - fixed.
- Configuration now gets saved immediately after completion of First Run Configuration window.

Download from the site homepage.
Uninstall old version before installing new one.

In the meantime, you can manually move log files out of/put them into the log directory if you wanted to only do certain batches.

- - - Updated - - -

That was meant to be in response to Engadine, regarding importaing specific log files.

AMAZING. I love the fact that you can make databases. The two previous tools I knew about either had no way to assign a note to a system, or any way to export/organise your notes. I wish I could give you 100 rep man

Just tried it. SO impressed. Seriously - well done. Love the way you can expand columns, the way it saves your changes instantly, the ease of use (double click for bookmarks, adding system data), the extensive features, the design. You are an excellent coder my friend.

Some thoughts for the future:

• Enable ED:DL importing
  • Enable a search function for systems in the list
  • Enable a search function for notes
  • Enable some kind of filtering - especially the ability to show all notes. Other good filters are filter a specific system (to show all the entries for it), stars and planets
  • Enable ability to export notes
  • Fix the datestamp - the line where a new day starts is below the first system of that date instead of above it
  • Maybe put the date next to every entry, instead of in a wide box for all systems of that date - it is rarely visible for productive days
  • Put some more columns in such as planets and estimated value
  • Have the estimated value clear if you clear all bodies

But no rush, I'm very very happy with it as is :)

Last edited:
Any chance of being able to change the res? My secondary monitor is only 1440x900 and your windows is too large. :p

Other then that Great Program!

Just tried it. SO impressed. Seriously - well done. Love the way you can expand columns, the way it saves your changes instantly, the ease of use (double click for bookmarks, adding system data), the extensive features, the design. You are an excellent coder my friend.

Some thoughts for the future:

• Enable ED: DL importing
  • Enable a search function for systems in the list
  • Enable a search function for notes
  • Enable some kind of filtering - especially the ability to show all notes. Other good filters are filter a specific system (to show all the entries for it), stars and planets
  • Enable ability to export notes
  • Fix the datestamp - the line where a new day starts is below the first system of that date instead of above it
  • Maybe put the date next to every entry, instead of in a wide box for all systems of that date - it is rarely visible for productive days
  • Put some more columns in such as planets and estimated value
  • Have the estimated value clear if you clear all bodies

But no rush, I'm very very happy with it as is :)

Thanks for your awesome comments :)

I'd never heard of ED: DL until now. I'd need to have a sample database file in order to see if I could import data from it.

Search functions are "in the List" ;)

Filtering functions are equally "in the List" ;)

Exporting data is most certainly in the List.

I was thinking it'd be better just to show all the dates rather than merge the cells, as well. I originally thought merging same-date cells looked cool - until as you say I had a "productive" day and couldn't see the date on a long set of jumps. I've already made this change for the upcoming beta 4 in fact.

There is a planets column already - teehee! - it's just disabled/rendered invisible for the time being until I turn the current Planet Entry System from it's current 'placeholder' format, into something resembling the Stars Counter, but WAY cooler. I have a concept in mind but it'll take a wee bit of development, and I wanted to get the app out the door sooner[tm] rather than later ;)

I'll have a think about adding an estimated value column - but we're already short on real estate in the jump table :)

Regards!

Any chance of being able to change the res? My secondary monitor is only 1440x900 and your windows is too large. :p

Other then that Great Program!

Not going to happen I'm afraid :)

I have already compromised on the window size, believe it or not :)

My monitors are both 1920x1080, and I had originally set the window size to basically fill that space up.

But then CMDR Psieonic - my first tester - mentioned his monitor was a lower res than mine, so I spent about an hour reducing the window size to what it is now :)

We really are at the limit of reducing the window size - and I don't want the text to become unreadable for people with higher resolutions - and I'm deliberately using a fixed layout too, as resizable windows are even more work to achieve good results with, and invariably they involve shedloads of compromises and look awful (to me) in the end. :)

Regards

Thanks for your awesome comments :)

I'd never heard of ED: DL until now. I'd need to have a sample database file in order to see if I could import data from it.

Search functions are "in the List" ;)

Filtering functions are equally "in the List" ;)

Exporting data is most certainly in the List.

I was thinking it'd be better just to show all the dates rather than merge the cells, as well. I originally thought merging same-date cells looked cool - until as you say I had a "productive" day and couldn't see the date on a long set of jumps. I've already made this change for the upcoming beta 4 in fact.

There is a planets column already - teehee! - it's just disabled/rendered invisible for the time being until I turn the current Planet Entry System from it's current 'placeholder' format, into something resembling the Stars Counter, but WAY cooler. I have a concept in mind but it'll take a wee bit of development, and I wanted to get the app out the door sooner[tm] rather than later ;)

I'll have a think about adding an estimated value column - but we're already short on real estate in the jump table :)

Regards!

Glad to see you've got all that on the list, I should never have doubted you. That's not meant to be a joke - you have already proven yourself to be a thoughtful coder :)

Take note of the two "bugs" I've listed as well (point 6 and 9).

Really don't care about having the estimated value column listed - if you need real estate then leave it.

As for a sample ED:DL database file, no need. They are text files, here's a section which includes every type of "entry":

Code:
10/06/15 03:00:17 AM,Starsystem,"Sol"
12/06/15 12:16:01 AM,Starsystem,"Delkar"
12/06/15 12:16:08 AM,Equipment Purchase,"TEST"
12/06/15 12:16:13 AM,Money,"TEST"
12/06/15 12:16:16 AM,Note,"TEST"
12/06/15 12:16:20 AM,Ship Purchase,"TEST"
12/06/15 12:16:23 AM,Starsystem,"TEST"
12/06/15 12:16:28 AM,Trade Route,"TEST"

Everything under the Delkar entry is a type of "note" you can add. You put some text into a box, select one of the 6 options, click add and it just puts it right after the last entry. You'd probably want to convert all of those into "Notes"

Last edited:
Top Bottom