Release [Explorer's Application] Captain's Log

CL2 2.1.7 Beta 2 available for download and testing.

CL2 2.1.7 Beta 2 is now available for download and testing - details on my Discord server (see signature) #beta_testing channel, see pinned message. See #beta_changelogs for the changelogs.

I've added direction arrows to the NAV section of CL2's overlay, when you enter a LAT/LON target and have selected the planet you're landing on, the Bearing & Distance is calculated in real time and now the arrows tell you which direction to fly in in order to reach your target location ;)

ZvPLcDnr.png

qYstOM7.png

As above do note that this only works with ED 3.0 Beta(s) and not the live game. Also, back up your files if you want to test it out ;)

Is there a way to change the size of the main window or Overlay?

Overlay is great I had to change my scaling in display settings. The window is so small everything is crunched together making it hard to read and utilize fully. I tried resizing it with the mouse, I right clicked and tried to resize it. I skimmed this thread and I didn't see my issue. I will skim again to double check.

Would someone tell me how you manage to keep it as overlay in game? I've searched around the Net, read the documentation numerous times... and I just cannot make it visible in game... What the hell am I doing wrong?

Is there a way to change the size of the main window or Overlay?

Overlay is great I had to change my scaling in display settings. The window is so small everything is crunched together making it hard to read and utilize fully. I tried resizing it with the mouse, I right clicked and tried to resize it. I skimmed this thread and I didn't see my issue. I will skim again to double check.

Unfortunately not.

Would someone tell me how you manage to keep it as overlay in game? I've searched around the Net, read the documentation numerous times... and I just cannot make it visible in game... What the hell am I doing wrong?

Game needs to be in Borderless Window mode, not full screen, because in full screen mode the game basically kidnaps the screen and the overlay won't show.

Nice! Did you add bounds checking of the input lat and lon as well? ;)

Yes there is bounds checking, and has been right since the Bearing Widget was first coded :p - it won't display any complaint, it just doen't accept it silently - perhaps I should include a facepunch() function for when it detects out of bounds input ;)

Yes there is bounds checking, and has been right since the Bearing Widget was first coded :p - it won't display any complaint, it just doen't accept it silently - perhaps I should include a facepunch() function for when it detects out of bounds input ;)

In your YouTube vid it let you enter a latitude of 100 which is out of bounds, and that seemed to cause you some confusion. I think it should have refused that input rather than silently *seeming* to accept it. It's the *seeming* to accept it that is the source of the confusion I think.

In your YouTube vid it let you enter a latitude of 100 which is out of bounds, and that seemed to cause you some confusion. I think it should have refused that input rather than silently *seeming* to accept it. It's the *seeming* to accept it that is the source of the confusion I think.

Yes it silently rejected it and yes I was momentarily confused ;)

I'll put on some sort of notification/facepunch() function ;)

CL2 2.1.7 Beta 3 available for download and testing.

CL2 2.1.7 Beta 3 is now available for download and testing - details on my Discord server (see signature) #beta_testing channel, see pinned message. See #beta_changelogs for the changelogs.

Currently there is a problem with the HasLatLon flag provided in the new Status.json file in the ED 3.0 beta. I have worked around this and now the NAV frame should appear and the direction indictor arrows should work for all landable planets/as advertised.

Nothing much else was done other than to get the NAV stuff working when it should. New stuff to be added later.

Reminder : this version only works with the ED 3.0 beta(s) so don't upgrade to it unless you're wanting to check out the nifty new stuff :)

Regards o7

Hi Genar, firstly I think Captain's Log is great, a very helpful Elite sidekick.
A couple of days ago when I tried to start it before starting the game I encountered the error below. I'm on Windows 10, using CL 2.1.6
Any ideas how to resolve this?

fWOCfIO

Hi Genar, firstly I think Captain's Log is great, a very helpful Elite sidekick.
A couple of days ago when I tried to start it before starting the game I encountered the error below. I'm on Windows 10, using CL 2.1.6
Any ideas how to resolve this?

https://imgur.com/fWOCfIO

Hi Rocksteadie,

At first I was puzzled because there was nothing below your post.

Only when I clicked on Reply With Quote did I notice you'd put a <url> tag in with you picture link rather than using the [ IMG ] tag - also you should link directly to the actual picture and not just the imgur page the picture is in ;)

fWOCfIO.jpg

Looks like Something Has Changed on your PC? Like a folder was configured for something which is no longer there?

Have a look at the captainslog2.ini file, which will be located at %localappdata%\Captainslog2

It's an ordinary text file so you can use notepad to look at it.

There will be a couple of folder paths saved in there - check to see if they still exist and if not, edit the INI file to suit.

If you still get no joy, try just renaming that INI file to something else - when you start CL2 after that you'll be presented with the First Time Run configuration - just follow the defaults and if your GALAXY and Trip databases are in the default location, you can switch Trip databases back to whichever one you were using before, and CL2 will be using your main GALAXY database.

Hope this helps!

Regards o7

Last edited:
Thanks, that helped, for some reason my Journal log files are on an external drive instead of my C drive. The external drive USB connection had stopped working which obviously confused Captin's Log.
So I'm all fixed - thanks!

I guess we really won't know if there are any Sneak Changes that will cause issues until 3.0 drops, but I assume that the problem in the Journals that you had to code around has been acknowledged by FD? Really find CL a Huge Help even when I am in the Bubble.

I guess we really won't know if there are any Sneak Changes that will cause issues until 3.0 drops, but I assume that the problem in the Journals that you had to code around has been acknowledged by FD? Really find CL a Huge Help even when I am in the Bubble.

The HasLatLon thingy in the Status.json has been fixed, but I've just decided to stick with my own internally built version of that, coz it works so why not ;)

CL2 2.1.7 release is imminent.

I just spent the whole of Saturday updating the User Manual. Once I'm ready to release 2.1.7 I'll tell my web server to publish the new version of the manual, the News item, etc etc.

o7

CL2 2.1.7 Released - with full navigation system and lat/lon bookmarking

Full details here : https://captainslog.scarygliders.net/news/captain-s-log-2-1-7-released-for-ed-3-0/

Also updated the User Manual here : https://captainslog.scarygliders.net/user-manuals/captains-log-2x/

Send bug reports to the Discord channel, invite link in my sig. Use the #full_release_bug_reports channel there please.

Note that the full navigation features won't be usable until ED 3.0 goes live, also note the recipe for FSD Boost synthesis has changed in ED 3.0, and CL 2.1.7 already has this built in.

2.1.7 will work with ED 2.4 in the meantime, otherwise.

Back up your CL2 config folder and database files before running - this release involves a DB migration to create new DB tables for the NAV/Lat&Lon/Bookmarking stuff.

Headline Features

- Latitude & Longitude Bookmarking System!

- Bookmark as many lat/lon coords as you want per landable planet

- recall lat/lon bookmarks for a planet

- set a bookmarked lat/lon location as a target location

- edit a saved lat/lon bookmark

- delete a lat/lon bookmark

- instantly add your current lat/lon location as a bookmark, either by clicking an icon on the NAV section of the overlay, or from the Bearing & Distance panel on the main CL2 window. You can then edit this instant bookmark and edit the note.

- instant-added lat/lon bookmarks have the date and time the bookmark was created, added into the note field

- manually add a lat/lon bookmark

- CL2's Planet Table has a new Lat/Lon bookmark icon on the same row as a planet, indicating there is or are lat/lon bookmarks for that body

- updated NAV section on the overlay

- overlay NAV will get you to your target lat/lon location

- overlay NAV works in real time

- overlay NAV realtime target bearing, target distance, and direction arrow indicators

- overlay NAV distance to target accounts for whether you are in flight (distance to target is flight distance taking altitude as a factor), or driving on a planet surface in an SRV (ground distance to target).

- overlay layout reorganised

- overlay automatic hiding when docked

Last edited:
Hi,
Is there an way to fill in missed jumps?
After 3.0 downloaded this morning (my time) and I eventually got in passed the nginx errors, I noticed CL was not updating.
I quit and restarted...still nope.
Quit and started as admin....nope....scanned a body and it appeared and next jump was noted.

Clearly I have some odd issue to fix (I'll try take ownership of all the relevant folders), but is there a way to get the missing half dozen or so jumps into the trip log?

Hi,
Is there an way to fill in missed jumps?
After 3.0 downloaded this morning (my time) and I eventually got in passed the nginx errors, I noticed CL was not updating.
I quit and restarted...still nope.
Quit and started as admin....nope....scanned a body and it appeared and next jump was noted.

Clearly I have some odd issue to fix (I'll try take ownership of all the relevant folders), but is there a way to get the missing half dozen or so jumps into the trip log?

nginx errors?

If jumps have been missed, the only way to get 'em back in would be to start a new blank trip DB and import the logs into that.

Regards

nginx errors?

If jumps have been missed, the only way to get 'em back in would be to start a new blank trip DB and import the logs into that.

Regards

Darn. OK. I'll live with the gap.. I'm 130kly into the trip..

Yes, Nginx errors were on the game launcher.....sorry, realise now it could be construed as CL which it wasn't.

I have downloaded updated to CL 2.1.7 as per the instructions and was anxious to try out the Navigation function. I may be doing it wrong and not understand the new function, but it does not appear to be working for me.

I approached a planet (didn't have to scan it, it was already known to me but not in the CL database) and once in Orbital Cruise I opened the main CL window by hotkey and I set the planets Radius and the destination coordinates. No bearing indicator showed on the overlay.

Does it not work on planets that are not scanned by me (therefore not in the CL Database) but already known? Must I have the Detailed Scanner even on known worlds? (I was in a new ship for testing)

Am I doing it wrong? (probably the right answer) :p

I have downloaded updated to CL 2.1.7 as per the instructions and was anxious to try out the Navigation function. I may be doing it wrong and not understand the new function, but it does not appear to be working for me.

I approached a planet (didn't have to scan it, it was already known to me but not in the CL database) and once in Orbital Cruise I opened the main CL window by hotkey and I set the planets Radius and the destination coordinates. No bearing indicator showed on the overlay.

Does it not work on planets that are not scanned by me (therefore not in the CL Database) but already known? Must I have the Detailed Scanner even on known worlds? (I was in a new ship for testing)

Am I doing it wrong? (probably the right answer) :p

I think CL2 needs to know about the planet - I may have coded everything with the assumption that the planet you want to land on or fly around has had a scan performed and hence the data loaded into CL2.

It is an app with Exploration in mind after all :)

If this is a planet in one of the 'known' systems - i.e. the ship already had all the scan data (as with a lot of bubble systems), and if that system has a Nav Beacon, you can go to the Nav Beacon and scan it. Note that having a DSS fitted whilst doing so is recommended. Captain's Log will then receive all the data about all the bodies within that system, exactly as if you have DSS scanned them yourself.

Top Bottom