F1® Manager 2022 announcement & trailer

Hi. I am a Korean XBOX gamer and Korea XBOXMVP Kim. YujeongKim.

I wonder "F1® Manager 2022" XBOX ver. supports Korean subtitles or UI.

The Korean PS store says Korean is supported.

Please check. and answer me. Thank you.

Hi. I am a Korean XBOX gamer and Korea XBOXMVP Kim. YujeongKim.

I wonder "F1® Manager 2022" XBOX ver. supports Korean subtitles or UI.

The Korean PS store says Korean is supported.

Please check. and answer me. Thank you.
On the Steam website there are 14 languages available initially, and it does not seem that one of them is Korean for now:

rXhdHKA.png

On the Steam website there are 14 languages available initially, and it does not seem that one of them is Korean for now:

rXhdHKA.png

However, the PS store says Korean subtitles are supported.

rXhdHKA.png

However, the PS store says Korean subtitles are supported.

Logically I cannot know what engine they are using, but in this year's annual report on the Frontier website, this information appears in the section of this F1 Manager 2022 (page 27):

So, in theory, this F1 Manager uses the COBRA engine, as always.
I certainly agree with your point as i would trust Frontiers own financial documents above the comments of youtube celebs/gaming sites to know what the game was being developed on.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: MQC
A shame there is no My Team so you can build your own team but looking forward to this game. I really hope this game is going to be as awesome as it looks. Next year add My Team.

Interesting, as most sources say that this uses Unreal engine.

It could be simply using both, no reason they can't be integrating Cobra for the UI/Management/online aspects and Unreal for the race day "live" footage.

A shame there is no My Team so you can build your own team but looking forward to this game. I really hope this game is going to be as awesome as it looks. Next year add My Team.

And the sole reason for that is that this is licensed, so there will be no mod support or anything other like that either.

But, you can always get Williams, sack Latifi, hire Piastri and get Williams back to the championship hunt. :)

I noticed it was using UE during the first behind the scenes video. You can see it at various points throughout the video, but this is the most obvious:
1655260149946.png

That is definitely the UE4 editor. Here's a screenshot of the editor from Epic's official documentation for comparison.
1655260295256.png

I doubt they're using both UE and Cobra, as that would almost certainly be too much work to integrate the two. Perhaps they managed to use UE's editor as a tool for Cobra? But that still sounds like a lot of work...
Definitely interesting though.

I doubt they're using both UE and Cobra, as that would almost certainly be too much work to integrate the two. Perhaps they managed to use UE's editor as a tool for Cobra? But that still sounds like a lot of work...
Definitely interesting though.

If they already use Cobra for loads of UI stuff then its just a set of tools and APIs like anything else that they already have examples to work with and in-house experts. Integration would just be presenting Cobra UI layer on top of UE stuff...or maybe they are just using whatever in-house tools that come under their "Cobra" label for some game logic or server side stuff.

The idea that games/applications use a single toolset/engine for everything is a bit misleading as pretty much everything uses a vast array of off the shelf, propriety and open source tools from all over the place. For example if you want a database you bring in a relation database or nosql solution or whatever and that will have a bunch of tools and APIs that you can utilise. If you want microservices you bring in some orchestration or message queue stuff.. It's all a bunch of tools and pre-written stuff that might be an "engine" as much as anybody elses definition.

Last edited:
If they already use Cobra for loads of UI stuff then its just a set of tools and APIs like anything else that they already have examples to work with and in-house experts. Integration would just be presenting Cobra UI layer on top of UE stuff...or maybe they are just using whatever in-house tools that come under their "Cobra" label for some game logic or server side stuff.

The idea that games/applications use a single toolset/engine for everything is a bit misleading as pretty much everything uses a vast array of off the shelf, propriety and open source tools from all over the place. For example if you want a database you bring in a relation database or nosql solution or whatever and that will have a bunch of tools and APIs that you can utilise. If you want microservices you bring in some orchestration or message queue stuff.. It's all a bunch of tools and pre-written stuff that might be an "engine" as much as anybody elses definition.
The recent fdev stock market info revealed the number of employees is up to 790 with 272 new starts during FY 2022. I do wonder if a decision was made to bring in developers for F1 with existing Unreal experience, presumably easier to recruit if you need a project out quite quickly than their own internal engine.

And I'm completely guessing here, but the F1 game seems like a clean break from the structure and features in fdevs existing management games. A different - widely used - engine might be a smart move.

The recent fdev stock market info revealed the number of employees is up to 790 with 272 new starts during FY 2022. I do wonder if a decision was made to bring in developers for F1 with existing Unreal experience, presumably easier to recruit if you need a project out quite quickly than their own internal engine.

And I'm completely guessing here, but the F1 game seems like a clean break from the structure and features in fdevs existing management games. A different - widely used - engine might be a smart move.

The annual reaport stated that they were using Cobra for F1 (see post 20 in this thread) hence my speculation. In any case Frontier use "Cobra" as a massive umberalla term for a whole bunch of in-house tools they use including web sites, cloud stuff and telemetry/analytics etc..

The annual reaport stated that they were using Cobra for F1 (see post 20 in this thread) hence my speculation. In any case Frontier use "Cobra" as a massive umberalla term for a whole bunch of in-house tools they use including web sites, cloud stuff and telemetry/analytics etc..

Yeah only fdev know, it's perhaps Cobra with purely 3d sections using UE.

It looks like the F1 and racing community were invited to fdev to see the game, and it's their videos are articles that are suggesting it's UE. That's maybe were it's all come from.

When it comes to the actual on-track action, F1 Manager 22 has not spared any expense in trying to recreate a broadcast-quality experience. Whether it’s practice, qualifying or races, you can watch every second of the action rendered in genuinely impressive 3D through the Unreal Engine – either through TV-esque cameras or by cycling through onboard views.
Mentioned in their video also at 4:28

Hmm... tinfoil hat on ...I suppose there is nothing in the financials from when the licence was acquired, to suggest they simply absorbed another studio, project and all? :p

I learned today that this game is using Unreal Engine V. that surprised me. I must admit when i saw it in action I did wonder if they had moved over to a different engine.

this will be the 1st game that FD have made not using Cobra wont it?

I wonder if this will be an exception or if more of their franchises will be going over to more main stream development platorms?

And the sole reason for that is that this is licensed, so there will be no mod support or anything other like that either.

But, you can always get Williams, sack Latifi, hire Piastri and get Williams back to the championship hunt. :)
What do you mean because it's licensed? EA's F1 22 has My Team and they also have licence for formula 1 video games. So licensing can't be the issue.

What do you mean because it's licensed? EA's F1 22 has My Team and they also have licence for formula 1 video games. So licensing can't be the issue.
EA's F1 22 has MyTeam, sure... but you seem to leave out the fact that EA was piggybacking on Codemaster's expertise with the game, not to mention that Codies had the license for F1 since 2009 to 2020, only by 2020 did they add a MyTeam/Custom Team feature. Took them 11 years for such a feature.

I'd rather FD focus on the core fundamentals of the sport implemented properly, and get the first game done right before adding the other bling features.
Heck, Motorsport Manager didn't even have the custom team at launch, only receiving said feature the next year.

As for steam workshop or mod support, don't expect any of it, unless FD announces otherwise.
I'm sure Ferrari won't appreciate seeing their brand on a RedBull or any other team & vice versa, hence the possible lack of Official mod support.

Yeah only fdev know, it's perhaps Cobra with purely 3d sections using UE.

It looks like the F1 and racing community were invited to fdev to see the game, and it's their videos are articles that are suggesting it's UE. That's maybe were it's all come from.

Mentioned in their video also at 4:28

I learned today that this game is using Unreal Engine V. that surprised me. I must admit when i saw it in action I did wonder if they had moved over to a different engine.

this will be the 1st game that FD have made not using Cobra wont it?

I wonder if this will be an exception or if more of their franchises will be going over to more main stream development platorms?

As far as i read, only the trailer was produced using various tools, including UE5.

There is no mention anywhere the game will run in UE. That would be a first since they're using the Cobra Engine for basically all their portfolio - and judging by JWE2, it's quite potent.

EA's F1 22 has MyTeam, sure... but you seem to leave out the fact that EA was piggybacking on Codemaster's expertise with the game, not to mention that Codies had the license for F1 since 2009 to 2020, only by 2020 did they add a MyTeam/Custom Team feature. Took them 11 years for such a feature.

I'd rather FD focus on the core fundamentals of the sport implemented properly, and get the first game done right before adding the other bling features.
Heck, Motorsport Manager didn't even have the custom team at launch, only receiving said feature the next year.

As for steam workshop or mod support, don't expect any of it, unless FD announces otherwise.
I'm sure Ferrari won't appreciate seeing their brand on a RedBull or any other team & vice versa, hence the possible lack of Official mod support.
I'm not expecting them add MyTeam in 22 but I do want it in 23. Since Liberty took over Formula 1 they are embracing video games. It's a way to get more people into Formula 1. The game looks fun, I probably will enjoy it very much but for me the problem with F1 manager already is 'which team am I going to pick?" I probably will end up managing multiple teams and never end one season. :)

With My Team it would be very obvious which team to pick. Since My Team is in Codemasters F1 game I have only played My Team. Never driven in another team since then. Same goes for most YouTubers I guess. I know it won't be here in 22 but they should have it ready for 23. This game needs a My Team mode

Top Bottom