Faction States

While the new ability for a faction to be affected by multiple states sounds great. It still seems off. Wouldn't it make more sense for a "famine" or "outbreak" state to affect a whole planet, or station, rather than just a faction? It's like if a new flu epidemic broke out but only labour members were affected. On the other hand, statuses such as lockdowns, and other security states seem like they should affect the entire system at once and not just one faction on one station. Finally, the ability to have many wars going on is great, but it appears that a faction can now be at war with another faction in one system, and at the same time not be at war with them in another system. It seems to me logical that declarations of war should not be localized in this way, but affect any systems where these two factions are present.

Just some thoughts. :S

While the new ability for a faction to be affected by multiple states sounds great. It still seems off. Wouldn't it make more sense for a "famine" or "outbreak" state to affect a whole planet, or station, rather than just a faction? It's like if a new flu epidemic broke out but only labour members were affected. On the other hand, statuses such as lockdowns, and other security states seem like they should affect the entire system at once and not just one faction on one station. Finally, the ability to have many wars going on is great, but it appears that a faction can now be at war with another faction in one system, and at the same time not be at war with them in another system. It seems to me logical that declarations of war should not be localized in this way, but affect any systems where these two factions are present.

I agree.

The economy is very integrated and interdependent and famine would effect all the people living in one city / port, not just one neighborhood/ faction and that goes for disease as well.
But the whole country/planet probably not. Calgary and Alberta can be in a boom state yet people in far eastern Canada can be barely making ends meet although they are aligned with the same state/prov level faction in control in Alberta.

This is why I think that no faction should be able to expand if ANY faction in their city /port is experiencing disease or famine, as it assumes that famine can only effect an isolated segment even though they are engaged and dependent on one another in many ways economically even though they are also in competition.

I agree too that wars between 2 factions should also be at war if they are together elsewhere.

Last edited:

Good points - made me think ;)

Pretty sure the opposite point has been made about war - just because you are at war in one location why are all your other systems affected? Especially if you are at war for control of station X in system Y - why would you then also declare war in system Z? Good generals chose their fights, or something.

Epidemics being local to a location make sense from an IRL perspective, but if they worked that way in-game then all factions would be affected, so all would offer the same missions etc, so it would reduce variety. Which is a lame excuse ;) Then you end up where an outbreak can be stopped for the controlling faction by shipping medicines in - or does that now fix all factions? So that type of event now happens in lockstep across all factions in the system - but different stations can be in famine / outbreak etc, as that's how it would work IRL. Hmmm, have to think about that.

I don't think it works like that.

Actually, it works the way I think you want it to.

A faction can have multiple states within each star system.

Faction A in System XX can have War and Famine
Faction A in System ZZ can be Boom and Civil Librerty
Faction A in System YY can be Bust and Lockdown
Faction A in System QQ can be Bust
Faction A in System JJ can be Outbreak

They done what I've asked for a couple of weeks ago - states are now localised to each star system for each faction, which (IMO) makes a lot of sense.

Last edited:
Top Bottom