[FDEV Please Comment exploit or feature?] Multiple fragments using Multiple abrasion blasters

Hi can someone from Fdev confirm whether the multiple abrasion blasters producing more than 1 fragment per blaster is considered an exploit?

I'd be interested to know other peoples opinion on it also, in the end FDEV's answer trumps everything and whatever they say i will abide by.

It is quite fiddly to get 4 fragments from 1 surface deposit, though it is very possible.

I just got 44 tonnes of void Opals from 1 asteroid.

I wont post my ship build or tips on how to accomplish this easily until fdev have confirmed whether this is intended gameplay or not.

If they do say its unintended rest assured i will stop doing this, until then i'm off mining again :)

Last edited:
I didn't even realise this was a thing. In beta I always had two abrasion blasters firing in tandem and I'd always get one or two chunks per hit. I assumed that, for the double-chunkers, if I'd only had one blaster fitted I'd have got one chunk but the deposit would have stayed visible so I could get the second chunk. You seem to be suggesting that each deposit should only yield one chunk and that I only got double-chunkers on those shots because both weapons hit simultaneously. Or have I misunderstood?

If it turns out this is an exploit it should be easy enough to patch out, but then it would make having multiple blasters kind of pointless especially given the increase in ammunition.

Oh, it's a thing. With certain ships (because of hardpoint geometry) you can get five chunks with five blasters.

Last edited:
Make hay while the sun shines. If the devs decide to put a lid on this, so be it. In the meantime, stack that bank account up as much as you can.

Why would you stop doing it even if it were "unintended"? Curious to know.

Because if its unintended its an exploit and i like to play fair :)

But until then here's my current build and how to maximise chunks from surface deposits:

You need good convergence on the hard points and need to pull back to the max range of the abrasion blasters about 950 meters.
jiggle your aim until all the reticles are locked on top of each other and appear as one then fire.
Using 4 abrasion blasters on a krait MKII works well.
Was getting Minimum 2 fragments, though usually 3 and less often 4

My Krait MKII Build (paid off with 1 mining trip collecting Low Temp Diamonds and Void Opals)

Because if its unintended its an exploit and i like to play fair :)

Interesting. You want to play a game which you think might exist in someone else's imagination instead of what they actually produced and is right in front of you.

I would say it's clearly an "exploit", then, though let's face it, "exploit" is just a euphemism for "balls up". It makes no sense at all for a resource to release five times as much as its potential just because you hit it with five things in parallel instead of serially. That's not the case for any of the other mining mechanics.

So you should stop it straight away.

Last edited:
I want to play a game yes, i would like to play it by the rules the makers intended, so yes in the imaginations of the makers.

I don't know if its intended or not, nor do you, that's why i asked FDEV to comment :)

It could be intended as we are able to fit multiple abrasion blasters, granted you need a ship where the hardpoints converge to be able to do it, which take a little bit of skill, particularly on rotating asteroids.

As to stopping right away, no i don't think so, not until i here from FDEV.

If they say it's ok and not an exploit I would have unnecessarily handicapped myself.

I want to play a game yes, i would like to play it by the rules the makers intended, so yes in the imaginations of the makers.

I don't know if its intended or not, nor do you, that's why i asked FDEV to comment :)

It could be intended as we are able to fit multiple abrasion blasters, granted you need a ship where the hardpoints converge to be able to do it, which take a little bit of skill, particularly on rotating asteroids.

As to stopping right away, no i don't think so, not until i here from FDEV.

If they say it's ok and not an exploit I would have unnecessarily handicapped myself.

And if they do confirm its unintended and therefore an exploit will you give your ill-gotten gains back ? :p

And if they do confirm its unintended and therefore an exploit will you give your ill-gotten gains back ? :p

No Because Fdev can simply say its an exploit anytime they want, until they have said as such it's not an exploit, its a mechanic thats in the game whether they intended it or not.
It's not obvious its an exploit, hence my asking for clarification.

If they know about it and do not say anything, thats down to them, I will however stop doing it if they claim it to be an exploit, i can't say fairer than that.

Last edited:
Well actually if they deems it to be a bad exploit, they can remove the credits gained by doing it. If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and flies like a duck.. FDev will shoot it out the sky.

No Because Fdev can simply say its an exploit anytime they want, until they have said as such it's not an exploit, its a mechanic thats in the game whether they intended it or not, if they know about it and do not say anything, thats down to them, I will however stop doing it if they claim it to be an exploit, i can't say fairer than that.

So to summarise:

1. You think it might be an exploit but are not 100% sure
2. You're going to carry on doing it even though it could well be an exploit
3. You'll stop doing it in the incredibly unlikely event that a Frontier representative steps forward and says "Hello, we just released an update with a new feature which can be exploited for 5x payouts, sorry, we'll fix it at some point"
4. But you won't stop doing it if they don't say that and you wouldn't want to have your exploited monies taken off you in any event

Last edited:
Even if it is unintended it's a really cool feature that makes mining more skill based, you have to learn to understand weapon convergence and line up the shots just right and time it well if the asteroid is rotating (or match the spin with FA off). This seems to be what frontier was going for with the mining update.

I didn't think you could get more than 2 per shot though, 4 might be bit much, but this might also affect the mining ship meta.

If this is unintended and needs tweaking I think the actual best fix would be to make the spots harder to hit, by making them smaller or making exploded asteroid chunks spin faster. Instead of removing it entirely.

Why would you even ask ? Honestly, folks start making some money and someone always turns up to rain on the parade. Who cares if it's intended or not.
If it's of benefit to players then you keep your mouth shut and don't ask questions.

Yes, it's true that morality and consequence in a completely artificial and ephemeral fantasy environment are often considered to be of lesser importance than those in the day-to-day world of pain and suffering, strangely enough.

Or a game of darts, for that matter. It isn't about 'it is just game', it is about 'ooooh, I can get away with it now!'. If someone cant do the right thing when it is easy, they sure as heck wont when it really counts either.

Last edited:
Or a game of darts, for that matter. It isn't about 'it is just game', it is about 'ooooh, I can get away with it now!'. If someone cant do the right thing when it is easy, they sure as heck wont when it really counts either.

I'd argue the exact opposite. It's just a matter of being able to define "what really counts". Knowing the difference between fantasy and reality is a key component of that determination, I'd say.

You appear to be arguing that video games have a deleterious impact on morality.

Top Bottom