FDev Trading Statement Jan 2021 - plenty about Elite Dangerous Odyssey timeframes, plus how COVID19 has affected all the devteams

The cheapest Elite has been on Steam is £5 if I'm right.

That should be for the base game. Epic was offering the game with expansion included
Which was like 10 or 12€ on black friday sale.
On XB i got the game for like 20€ - again on black friday sale - in november 2018 (base game + horizons + commander pack)

The point being consolers did not pay for the PC dev.
More likely the PC sales funded the Consoles version.

In a way, it looks like console players have indirectly funded the game being given away for free on Epic...

o7
cdilUhQ.jpg

Disappointing to have to wait, but as a longtime console gamer, having to wait months, or even years for a JRPG localization has more than prepared me for a delay.

Shame all the planets in the bubble will all have “first to walk” claimed by various commanders before I even get to play Odyssey. Guess it wasn’t meant to be.

That should be for the base game. Epic was offering the game with expansion included
Which was like 10 or 12€ on black friday sale.
On XB i got the game for like 20€ - again on black friday sale - in november 2018 (base game + horizons + commander pack)

The point being consolers did not pay for the PC dev.
More likely the PC sales funded the Consoles version.

Pretty sure Elite+Horizons has been offered on Steam for much less than on Console...

Pretty sure Elite+Horizons has been offered on Steam for much less than on Console...

Yes, i just said that.
And i will say it again: Steam 12€, XB 20€ (I assume PS was about the same as XB) - that is for base+horizons+commander_pack

Which can only mean that MS and Sony are taking a fat cut out of that price. Plus XB Live Gold and PSN Subscriptions
And lastly, ED was launched on PC first, then it came to XB, then to PS.
So PC funded XB version, then PC+XB funded the PS version.

Delay not entirely surprising. My ears were originally pricked when they decided to release an 'alpha', rather than a 'beta'. No problem though, a release like this was always going to require a good chunk of testing and I susepct if they can give it a good long period then it will be all the better for it.

Delay not entirely surprising. My ears were originally pricked when they decided to release an 'alpha', rather than a 'beta'. No problem though, a release like this was always going to require a good chunk of testing and I susepct if they can give it a good long period then it will be all the better for it.
Yeah, but an Alpha with no Beta?

Surely Alphas answer questions like:

• Is FPS combat fun, does it flow?
  • How does walking around on planets feel, can I move around successfully?
  • How are the social areas? Are they the right size? Is it easy to navigate? Can I do what I want?

Then Beta is:
  • 'I bought gun X, fired it 3 times, and it reloaded when I should have 1 round left - plz fix'
  • I got a mission to X, but when I got there the door to the Y plant would not unlock, the mission is not completable'

I think they're optimistic to think they can get away with just an Alpha. Or else it's really a Beta .. but then why call it an Alpha. I guess we will see.

Yes, i just said that.
And i will say it again: Steam 12€, XB 20€ (I assume PS was about the same as XB) - that is for base+horizons+commander_pack

Which can only mean that MS and Sony are taking a fat cut out of that price. Plus XB Live Gold and PSN Subscriptions

So we should just be thankful that we're getting Odyssey at all? I honestly doubt it will even happen. There's nothing to keep anyone on console now. They've already said they're targeting Odyssey for the PS4 and Xbox One, consoles that will be almost a decade old by the time Odyssey is due for release. No plans for PS5/Xbox Series X.

I expect Frontier will simply sunset the console version of the game in the summer, after announcing that they're no longer able to bring Odyssey to the PS4 and Xbox One due to something like 'unforeseen technical issues'. Put the old girl out of it's misery.

Yes, i just said that.

I paid £9.60 for the CMDR Deluxe version on Xbox. So there have been cheap deals on consoles just very rarely.

I think they're optimistic to think they can get away with just an Alpha
Really?

Isn't that what Chris Roberts has done for years? There are a few posters on this forum that consider the alpha is a released game...

Possibly the 'alpha' will incorporate the 'beta' (still closed to those who paid up front (like me) or are LEP holders) toward the end of its run when it contains all of the new content?

Not sure that's true, as the two amounts aren't equal.

Epic pay Frontier an amount negotiated based on what they'd lose giving it away for free.

The cheapest Elite has been on Steam is £5 if I'm right.

Cheapest I can recall seeing on PSN is £17.99
If I understand you correctly, you're saying that Frontier was able to negotiate higher price for free Epic week givaway due to the higher cost of console version?
But AFAIK Epic deals only in PC versions, so Frontier projected loss most likely omitted consoles with their prices.

Top Bottom