FDevs, did you intend to break the game?

I bought the game shortly after launch and played consistently for several years. I never really got into any pirate stuff, so I never had to deal with notoriety, bounties or fines. I left for about a year or so and came back when odyssey dropped. I had my first run in with notoriety after raiding a few settlements. Raked up 10 notoriety and 200k in bounties. I quickly realized that notoriety sucked. So I thought, maybe it was to keep players from griefing minor factions. I waited around, not doing anything until my notoriety was 0. I then thought, if a mission wants me to raid, then surely that wouldn't be considered part of the anti-griefing system. So, I picked up as many missions to raid settlements as I could, and had some fun. Then I noticed, I became wanted, (which I expected) gained some fines' (which I expected) and some notoriety. (which I did not expect)
I was like, oh well, I can turn these missions in, and go kill pirates for free. No, no I can't. I am wanted in the station that gave me the mission. How am I wanted by the same station that issued the mission? Why is a mission for a minor faction considered griefing? If the mission isn't griefing, then why does this mechanic mean that I did a mission for free? I have to wait well past the mission timer to turn these in, which means I failed the mission.

Would it be too much to ask to make it so the game doesn't grief the players? I got scammed by a station NPC. I feel like my effort was rewarded with a penalty. Could you make it so that the issuing NPC could still interact with the player? Even make it so that you could turn in your missions to any NPC of that minor faction. It makes no sense to scam the players. This mechanic, in it's current form, (with the drop of odyssey) has become a pathway for players to waste their time. This system was intended for the game before odyssey. I believe this was an oversight on behalf of FDev. Please rework this, the game has lost enough player base without the NCPs scamming players.

TLDR: Took missions from a station, did those missions, gained notoriety, couldn't turn the mission in, wasted my time, then had to wait around for hours while my notoriety dropped. Suggest rework of system to keep NPCs from scamming players. No one wants to play a game that makes them feel like they are getting punished for playing or wasting their time.

Attachments

• 20211210120802_1.jpg
    20211210120802_1.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 57
Fines, bounties and notoriety don't stop you from turning in completed missions though. That option should still be available through both the on-foot and ship mission boards.

Fines, bounties and notoriety don't stop you from turning in completed missions though. That option should still be available through both the on-foot and ship mission boards.
Thanks, I flew over to the station to see if what you said was true. It's twue, it's reawy reawy twue!! Can't accept other missions though. Even from the original issuing faction.
Ah well, sounds like you're learning how to play now, as you've realised how you get notorious you can avoid it in the future like most people do (y)
I suppose I can. I can just not play. I can't avoid notoriety from a mission that requires the murder of settlers. By me completing the mission, I gain notoriety. If doing missions means I can't take more missions and have to wait around for hours, I will just go play something else. I think you're missing my point. I'm saying that this mechanic isn't well thought out for odyssey. The notoriety system is a punishment for playing out the ground missions. I don't want to be a bounty hunter, I want to be a pirate. I understand notoriety when it comes to players. NPCs can't be griefed. It should be that when you turn in a mission it sets your notoriety back to it's pre-mission level. The current method is just making the game unplayable for those who would rather be a pirate. If you like playing in a world absent of other players then this system is for you. You never have to worry about getting attacked by other players because there aren't enough other players.

Thanks, I flew over to the station to see if what you said was true. It's twue, it's reawy reawy twue!! Can't accept other missions though. Even from the original issuing faction.

I suppose I can. I can just not play. I can't avoid notoriety from a mission that requires the murder of settlers. By me completing the mission, I gain notoriety. If doing missions means I can't take more missions and have to wait around for hours, I will just go play something else. I think you're missing my point. I'm saying that this mechanic isn't well thought out for odyssey. The notoriety system is a punishment for playing out the ground missions. I don't want to be a bounty hunter, I want to be a pirate. I understand notoriety when it comes to players. NPCs can't be griefed. It should be that when you turn in a mission it sets your notoriety back to it's pre-mission level. The current method is just making the game unplayable for those who would rather be a pirate. If you like playing in a world absent of other players then this system is for you. You never have to worry about getting attacked by other players because there aren't enough other players.
One of the tricks is to avoid missions that target the faction owning the station and/or its superpower. In addition to using Apex you can avoid most of the negative effects of bounties and notoriety.

Be aware of illegal missions! You are being told well in advance whether a mission you are undertaking is legal or not, there are no scams involved, just unawareness and a learning curve.
If they have a purple icon, on top of skulls or other markers, they are illegal and you have to face the consequences. There are no free meals!
If the icon is yellow (or showing justice scales) then it's legal. Beware, if you have to carry out a legal assassination, scan the victim first: you have to unmask their identity by highlighting their bounty.

OP, so what you really want are missions targeting Anarchy factions in Anarchy systems. No notoriety, no bounties, etc...

However, Anarchy factions have been claimed to be drying up due to this. So, be sure to do some work FOR the factions you are attacking to bring their influence back up so that they don't disappear. completely...(there are references to this in many, many threads on these forums)

TLDR: Took missions from a station, did those missions, gained notoriety, couldn't turn the mission in, wasted my time, then had to wait around for hours while my notoriety dropped. Suggest rework of system to keep NPCs from scamming players. No one wants to play a game that makes them feel like they are getting punished for playing or wasting their time.

Dock at any station within 100ly, take an Apex to the mission giver's location, hand in the mission.

Just as an FYI. Notoriety isn't an "anti-griefing" measure. Avoid the illegal missions and you won't get any.

However, the illegal missions can be fun and challenging. I can deal with a bit of notoriety for that.

Top Bottom