General / Off-Topic Film Club 11/04/2013

Which film should we watch and review on Thursday 11/4/2013?

• What Just Happened?

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • One Mile Away

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • American History X

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's Complicated

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • District 13: Ultimatum

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So the choices for the next round of the Film Club are :

What Just Happened? (2007) BBC1 11:35pm
A Hollywood producer struggles to keep the peace between a stubborn studio executive and a drug-addled director, while also coping with two ex-wives and a troubled teenage daughter. Meanwhile, another of his projects seems doomed to failure thanks to its star, who has to be persuaded to part with his freshly grown beard. Comedy drama, starring Robert De Niro and Catherine Keener, with Sean Penn and Bruce Willis as themselves

One Mile Away (2012) Ch4 11:10pm
Penny Woolcock's documentary charts the efforts of warring gangs the Burger Bar Boys and the Johnson Crew to bring peace to their neighbourhoods in inner-city Birmingham. The film follows Shabba and Dylan Duffus over the course of two years as they try to recruit supporters from both sides, and get advice along the way from Jonathan Powell, who oversaw the Good Friday Agreement

American History X (1998) ITV4 10:30pm
A neo-**** is thrown into prison for murder and gradually comes to realise the error of his ways. On his release, he discovers his younger brother is heading down the same extremist path, and tries to stop the teenager from repeating his mistakes. Drama, starring Edward Norton, Edward Furlong, Avery Brooks, Fairuza Balk and Stacy Keach.

It's Complicated (2009) Film4 9:00pm
Divorced couple Jane and Jake are reunited after 10 years apart at their son's college graduation, and end up sleeping together. Despite Jake's marriage to a younger woman and Jane's fledgling romance with a kindly architect, the exes end up having a clandestine affair. Romantic comedy, starring Meryl Streep, Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin

District 13: Ultimatum (2009) Film4 11:30pm
Corrupt cops and government officials stir up a gang war in a lawless walled-off Paris ghetto, hoping to use the violence as an excuse to demolish the area with an air strike. An idealistic criminal and a tough cop get hold of evidence of the scheme, and fight to save their home from destruction. French action thriller sequel, starring David Belle and Cyril Raffaelli.
In French (should have subtitles)

Very interesting choices.. torn between the first and last options..

I've seen a lot of these before, District 13 is a corker of a movie... but I have seen it before... I didn't like American History X... it was great performances... but... So I voted for a movie I haven't seen and sounds interesting.

Well done for stepping up, did you watch Micmacs? What did you think?

I started watching MicMacs, but I found it a little boring and was falling alseep, so about the time they bribed the dog with sausages in the airport, I turned it off.

Of this week's choices (which was all I could find), I have seen District 13, but not the others.

I am going to go with "What Just Happened?" as my choice.

Last edited:
Maybe you have to be a bit of a Charlie Chaplin fan to enjoy MicMacs. When I was young I detested Chaplin. I thought his stuff was maudlin compared to the likes of Buster Keaton and Laurel & Hardy. But tasted change as you get older. I actually found some of the stuff in "The Great Dictator" quite funny.

Homages to Chaplin in Micmacs:-

the worn shoes,
the visual gag of pretending to sing the girls song,
being too proud to accept the handout,
little guy takes on authority.

My choice for Thursday?
I'll watch "What Just Happened"
I'll tape "District 13: Ultimatum" and put in in my "films I really should watch" pile
I'll kill "It's Complicated"

'What Just Happened?' sounds pretty interesting. The only one that I've seen on that list is American History X, good film but tends to get lauded over a tad more than it deserves. Not to take anything away from it if you haven't seen it, its definitely worth a watch.

I'll watch "What Just Happened"
I'll tape "District 13: Ultimatum" and put in in my "films I really should watch" pile
I'll kill "It's Complicated"

A new game is born..

Watch, tape, delete..

this is how movies should be rated from now on...

I too would go for 1 or 5 - and have seen 5 - liked it.

I struggled with Micmacs - I gave about half an hour in - till the explosion on the football pitch which was the only thing up to that point that actually made me laugh..

hehehe it was good, you guys missed the plot to get revenge being set out.. was full of clever little bits..

But first time round it took me two watches to get through it, SO I completely understand... now I love it..

I thought it might be a grower but I just couldn't be arsed that night..

That was the same for me the first time I saw The Big Lebowski - just didn't get it - wasn't in the mood.

The next time I gave it a chance I loved it - still one of my favourites now..

I've not given it a second view so Im still where you where...

I liked some of it, maybe it needs that 2nd view...

I shall make that happen.

Red Dawn - Action flick or piece of s£$%? I quite liked it, unrealistic but a good bit of fun.

Well the 2nd time I saw it I'd been out and was fairly well oiled so was probably in a more receptive mood :D

The characters in it are great.

I haven't seen the 2012 Red Dawn - saw the old one eons ago but don't remember much about it. Having looked it up I don't recognise a single one of the lead characters - which either means they are all Z listers or - I'm even more out of touch with the current crop than I suspected.. :S

Red Dawn - Action flick or piece of s£$%? I quite liked it, unrealistic but a good bit of fun.
Not seen the 2012 remake, but I did enjoy the 80s one - if only for the opening scene where the silly American teacher goes out to confront the parachutists landing in his school yard. Then gets shot in the head. Idiot.

The original was a teen flick too, but has some gritty scenes and a real downer ending, unlike many Hollywood films of that era (and this one). The replica Hind A/C was quite good too! A good effort for a change rather than using a Huey with a red star painted on the side like most war films did.

A very good war game, World In Conflict, was heavily influenced by Red Dawn. The only thing wrong with it was that one couldn't play the single player campaign from the Soviet point of view. I would have loved the chance to command T-72s and Hinds.

(I should note that an expansion is now available to do just that, but I haven't bought it yet...)

Last edited:
What Just Happened? (2007) BBC1 11:35pm
A Hollywood producer struggles to keep the peace between a stubborn studio executive and a drug-addled director, while also coping with two ex-wives and a troubled teenage daughter. Meanwhile, another of his projects seems doomed to failure thanks to its star, who has to be persuaded to part with his freshly grown beard. Comedy drama, starring Robert De Niro and Catherine Keener, with Sean Penn and Bruce Willis as themselves

Wow, im not certain I haven't seen this, I'm pretty sure Demi moore might be a cameo in it too..

But just to remind anyone who wants to watch this its on tonight, you can watch it over the inter web if you are in the UK or on a UK proxy..

http://www.tvcatchup.com

see you in this thread for your thoughts as it airs!!

LOL... really? im watching the end of that GOD AWFUL its CONSTIPATED... erk!!

District 13 said it is on soon... not sure if it said next.. hold on and I'll report back... get the popcorn in!!

its district 13 ultimatum next... well its not what we thought, but hey i got a large coke (read that right) and I aint gonna waste it..

*pulls down seat and squeaks butt into position*... OI Frank!! Down in front..

What just happened to "What 'just Happened?"?

All I can see is a "This Week" special. Has Thatcher managed to close one more thing down?

Top Bottom