Finally did it - made it to Beagle Point

I was going to rep this anyway because I also jumped to Beagle Point and then on to Semotus Beacon, which is as far as any of us can go for now, on New Year's Day. My last leg was only about 7,500LY though and my conda is a bit more jumpy than yours (around 75LY).

What sealed the rep though was the fact you travelled over 65K LY but haven't yet bothered unlocking access to the cradle of humanity :D

Currently about 7,000 Ly from Beagle Point. Nice to see that someone's trampled down the grass in front of me. From there I will of course do a run on Ishum's Reach. My 71 Ly+ Exploraconda only has 149 Premium FSD Injections left, I really should have stocked up; still, I think there's an outside chance I might make it there and back.

I had one annoyance today; the Galaxy Map slowly but successfully plotted me an 11,000 Ly route to Beagle Point from my last Waypoint. I ran a couple of thousand Ly then took a short break to stretch my legs and adjust my fluid levels. When I logged back in, the game insisted as it does on recalculating the route.

Except it didn't. Route planning failed. Oh dear.

I'm assuming that some irreplaceable system that just fell within the cone formed by the angle the plotter uses shifted to outside that cone as I moved closer. I suppose that sort of thing will happen when you try to plot a route across a region of space marked on the Galaxy Map as 'The Abyss'.

I moved about twenty jumps East North East and tried the route plotter again. It worked this time. Tomorrow I'll find out if that route holds up as I move along it.

It's a little unfortunate that there's no way to lock a route in place once it's been successfully plotted. On the other hand, what would an exploration trip be without some unexpected event?

it is long trip i made it it there in my asp but lost it on the way back no shields bad landing lol well done cmdr if you got back
I made it there in my Annie with my trusted NPC pilot, on my way back home I decided to test if you could damage your FSD until it failed by super charging it on Neutron stars... turns out you actually can do that! it flings you out of super cruise, and after that happened, I got a terrible thought, what would happen if I still was in the cone? with my 350 million or so exploration data...

For those who have not tested it yet, you can simply turn off power to your FSD in supercruise and encounter the same effect...

Been meaning to go there at some point, and as my PS4 account is primarily exploration it made sense, except I keep getting caught up on the roof of the Galaxy (in as much as I love it there and find it hard to move on).

Finally meandered my way over to the rough location of where I remembered you can cross to the outer spiral arm (my jump range is 42ly - not the jumpiest of 'Condas :) ) and made it across. That left me just a smidge under 19,000Ly from Beagle.

I did it on New Year's Day. 19,000Ly, 600 jumps. Took me about 12hrs (with occasional real-life breaks) but I finally got there!

View attachment 157516

(couldn't target Sol as I don't have the permit).

I had an extremely large whisky at the end of it - probably my longest single jonk. Fun, in a "I can no longer feel my buttocks" sort of way.

You made it there faster than me! congrats! not everyone can withstand the journey there and then back again. I almost did not made it back home, even though I think I almost killed myself due to a stupid experiement on my way back home... anyway, so you do not try it, but it is possible to use neutron boosting to get your FSD to fail with 0.0% integrity... I think I survived this by pure luck simply for being an idiot.

Hi guys,

Congratulations cmdr GreyAreaUK for the success of your trip; this made my mind to reach Beagle Point too.
I started a lonely journey for a circumnavigation at the galaxy 4 months ago (I'm in a very slow pace, exploring and mapping some interesting planets) in my exploration Conda (not perfectly fitted, but with a 57ly jump). I'm now going up at Sagittarius-Carina Arm, but I made a "slight" detour to Explorer Anchorage (at the center) to buy a new SRV (picture below) that I've lost earlier when I learned a lesson: never fly when you are sleepy. ;)

When at beagle Point I will try to reach Oevasy SG-Y d0. I do have materials for 50+ level 3 FSD injections.
I would like to know if it is possible to reach Beagle Point going thought Sagittarius-Carina Arm or I need a better route.
Tips and advises are welcome to help me complete this task.

Thank you all.

cincumnavigation.jpg

You should be good everywhere. And with 50' grade 3 FSD injections you will also reach Semotus Beacon. You will NOT need any FSD boosting when you cross the Abyss. But you may have to plot your route manually. My first trip was with my Kassandra, an Asp Explorer, that had at that time a bit less jumprange than your Anaconda and I made it without boosting.

Thank you schlowi123

I'm too far away from Beagle Point and Semotus Beacon and I have time to learn more about navigation techniques to reach this distant systems and come back alive. ;) :)

Congratulations are obviously in order,on several levels, but for the un-initiated such as myself, i have to ask the most obvious question,(and please feel free to ignore.Of all questions it is the most nonsensical and the most intractable to answer), why?

Congratulations are obviously in order,on several levels, but for the un-initiated such as myself, i have to ask the most obvious question,(and please feel free to ignore.Of all questions it is the most nonsensical and the most intractable to answer), why?
Well its there :D Thats why. And for some people, there is that wanderlust, meaning when grinding mats, grinding combat ranks, doing trade and so on starts getting old, just hit the road and go somewhere far away from those things...At least thats how system works for me...

The only real answer is: Because. Which is a non-answer I know, but it's true. Reaching Beagle in a ship with a 40+Ly range isn't even challenging from a route-plotting perspective, it's more about the stick-with-it-ness, although I'd have to admit that my own 19,000ly, 600 jumps in a day is maybe pushing it a bit :)

Also (and I know this is a horrible cliche, but) it really is about the journey and not the destination.

I think the answer to this question is going to be different for each person. I believe GreyAreaUK is right about the journey vs. the destination and as TiberiusDuval said is "it's there".

For me, I wanted to go to Sgr A* because it's an exploration milestone and I wanted to see it. Since XA is right there, I figured I could stop there for refueling and restocking my AspX before heading back to the Bubble. Then, I read up on Beagle Point and its expedition and decided I wasn't ready to go home yet. I want to see if I can do it.

I signed up for Perseus Reach Expedition since it is going there in Small ships only. That adds a new challenge to the equation. Even more of a challenge is I'll be ratting in case someone runs out of fuel.

hi its a long way and takes time what i did was follow the colonia intresting star route from lave in reverse got to colonia then headed to beagles point took me a good few weeks it is at times boring plenty of coffee and u tube audio books . good luck

Hello! I reached Beagle Point and Ishums Reach just yesterday. I would like to say that it is a VERY long trip. I never thought how exhausting it will be... music helps a lot but also youtube. Now that I am at the other end of the galaxy I am realising that I have to go back as well... Hopefully it does not take that long to be in an area again where I can use neutron stars.

I am flying an Asp with 63ly, reaching Ishums Reach costs me 1x basic and 1x premium fsd boost, so 4 in total to come back as well.

PS: we need a station at the other side of SagA*! The galaxy is so vast... we explorer should demand a station at 4 corners at least.

Top Bottom