First exploration

My first ever Water World

IMG_20210302_202917.png

If you get killed, do not immediately rebuy the ship - contact Frontier Support and politely ask them to resurrect you at your location, give it a day or two and see if you get a response. This way you can save the progress and data, especially since you are motivated by tagging the stars and planets. If you re-buy immediately, they will not be able to reinstate you back at your location.
I think this is really bad advice. This shouldn't be thrown out there like it is part of the game. I have done many dumb things in this game causing me to lose lots of money, data and time. I have never once written to FD asking them for this. I think people should just suck up the loss and get over it.

The only reason I would ever consider something like this is if the game behaved in a way that it was not designed to do. For example. I arrive in a new system slap bang on the main star's surface and explode. Or I safely log off one day only to find the rebuy screen the next time I log on. You know, bugs or glitches that create a loss, not my mistakes.

I think this is really bad advice. This shouldn't be thrown out there like it is part of the game. I have done many dumb things in this game causing me to lose lots of money, data and time. I have never once written to FD asking them for this. I think people should just suck up the loss and get over it.

The only reason I would ever consider something like this is if the game behaved in a way that it was not designed to do. For example. I arrive in a new system slap bang on the main star's surface and explode. Or I safely log off one day only to find the rebuy screen the next time I log on. You know, bugs or glitches that create a loss, not my mistakes.

I agree, and I believe FD also considers this only as a last resort... So if you get killed as a result of some bad game behaviour, or you get ganked badly for the first time, there is this option... And I also believe they will only do it once for you. If you come to them every other day, asking to get reinstated, they will simply ignore you...

I am not saying he should do it, I'm saying, that if happens and you think you were not at fault, do not immediately re-buy, contact FD support... Because if you do re-buy, they will not be able to restore your status... If this happens to you after three months in the void, shortly before reaching the Beagle Point, I think this option should be on your list. Whether you use it or not is only your choice...

I tried to edit my post but the forum is acting up, so I will post a new response instead:

For clarity and transparence, I did ask FD for help when I did a stupid thing and crashed my ship. I admit that it would probably be more "honorable" thing to suck up the loss. But instead I asked them for help. They did help me partially (giving me back my exploration data). I lost the trip progress, as I was not able to get back to my location. That was the only thing I asked for - data and location. I did not ask for the re-buy cost. They also informed me, that they may not be able to do it again. Since then, i pay much better attention to the gravity of the planet and to my ship controls.

So I guess I am not that brave, but on the other hand, what sense does it make to be able to re-appear in the game after you fataly crash your ship and at the same time loose the exploration data? There is no reason to be constantly connected to some sort of network in game that allows you to re-buy your ship and put your telepresence in it and at the same time not to be able to back-up your explo data...

But again, everyone should live with his decisions and if someones frustration from the loss would be bigger, than frustration from getting external help, then this option is there...

I agree, and I believe FD also considers this only as a last resort... So if you get killed as a result of some bad game behaviour, or you get ganked badly for the first time, there is this option... And I also believe they will only do it once for you. If you come to them every other day, asking to get reinstated, they will simply ignore you...

I am not saying he should do it, I'm saying, that if poopoo happens and you think you were not at fault, do not immediately re-buy, contact FD support... Because if you do re-buy, they will not be able to restore your status... If this happens to you after three months in the void, shortly before reaching the Beagle Point, I think this option should be on your list. Whether you use it or not is only your choice...

Agree too. I crashed once, losing hundreds of millions in exploration data. The reason for the crash was a high g planet and my own recklessness and negligence only. Did it suck? Hell yeah but it was just to go on and learn from it. I also got ganked during the ammonia world cg. Lost proably exploration data worth of over 1 bn there. Thought I was in solo mode which I usually is in the bubble carrying valuables. But again, my mistake only. And it is from our mistakes we learn so we don't do them again.

As the game is now there are plenty of possibilites to repair and fix the ship if any mishap would happen. So in the end, the only thing you need to keep cool is your own head. Don't rush into things. Take it easy, plan and enjoy the world of space exploration.

Thank you all for your comments.
I've only had a couple of close shaves up to this point by getting too close while fuel scooping, but I've got it down to a fine art now.

Does the FSS discover more bodies than the DS ?

Thank you all for your comments.
I've only had a couple of close shaves up to this point by getting too close while fuel scooping, but I've got it down to a fine art now.

Does the FSS discover more bodies than the DS ?

When you "honk" a system you'll see how many bodies are inside that system. With the FSS you can then scan for those bodies and "identify" them (e.g. if it's a Water World or a Ammonia World etc.). Last but not least, the surface scanner allows you to approach a planet and map it for additional money.

---

One thought, since you mentioned you already own 132mil. Unless you are dead-set on flying your Corba (which is absolutely valid imo), you could look for a more dedicated explorer.

My brother is currently using a Diamondback Explorer for his first expedition. Great little ship and even without engineering you can manage a decent jump range.

Asp Explorer is next in line. Relatively cheap, but it has been the go-to explorer for years. It's what I currently use most of the time. If you have the engineering materials on hand, you might want to get the double engineered Class 5 FSD from a human tech broker.

Last but not least and a bit more expensive, is the Krait Phantom. Some people say the Phantom is probably the best explorer available at the moment. It can also use the double engineered Class 5 FSD.

---

Last thought, since you stayed for a night on a Fleet Carrier: Unless it's a Deep Space Support Array (DSSA) carrier, you should never log out on an unknown Fleet Carrier. The carrier might travel somewhere while you are offline and you end up in places where you cannot leave again.

I could not agree more, and have never considered asking Frontier to wave away my mistake. Each time I see a post with this advice for a preventable event I have an irrationally salty reaction. I keep it to myself because I am not here to rain on someone's experience. Unless the issue is clearly technical on Frontier's side, then I don't think it should be a thing. How many posts have I seen where someone flies shieldless in to planet and loses their tricked out ship and vast sums of exploration data with zero consequence aside from my private contempt?

I hesitate to even make this post for the folks who have taken advantage of Frontier's good graces, and I don't want to steer this thread in this direction. But Lorenzo's post said what I think and I decided to post too.

Congrats on the discovery!

Firefox seem to have a an issue right now with editing. Maybe other browsers too? If not I reckon you could switch browsers to edit.

Oddly my work computer is on Firefox and allows me to edit. My home PC is on Firefox and does not. Have not identified the difference though.

Let us conclude the "re-buy vs one time waiver from FD" topic by saying, that whoever asks for waiver if it is not a game glitch is a cheater and should be condemned, but the main point that I was trying to convey to the OP, since he is planning to go out for a long trip with no extensive experience:

if by any accidental game glitch you end up dead, do not re-buy immediately, just think about maybe asking FD for resolution...

I hope we can close the topic with that... ;)

So my two cents of advice and suggestions to @Emmvee from a photographers point of view.

I know you already are on your way but when it comes to have or have nots on the ships:'

I never use shields or any heavier hull. As long as you're careful you'll be fine. I do use AFMU nowdays. But only becasue it's nice to have if you want to use neutron boosting.

Edit: I don't use heat sinks either. Ships can take a lot of heat damage before it gets critical.

The guardian booster is nice and obviously also a tweaked fsd to get the most jump range as possible. However that's basically only needed if you want to go to the fringes of the galaxy where stars are not as dense.

I've switched back from the Anaconda to the DBX. I get almost 10 ly shorter jump range but since it's smaller it can land much easily even on rocky and rugged planets.

Scan everything in a system. Zoom in on moons and planets to see if they have any interesting ravines, mountains or other stuff.

Check out the EDSM map for interesting povs. https://www.edsm.net/en/galactic-mapping#2/0/0/25000

Get the third party apps EDDiscovery and ED Observatory. They're a great help to keep track of your travels and if system bodies should have a first and second look.

But most of all - have fun!

Last edited:
So my two cents of advice and suggestions to @Emmvee from a photographers point of view.

I know you already are on your way but when it comes to have or have nots on the ships:'

I never use shields or any heavier hull. As long as you're careful you'll be fine. I do use AFMU nowdays. But only becasue it's nice to have if you want to use neutron boosting.

The guardian booster is nice and obviously also a tweaked fsd to get the most jump range as possible. However that's basically only needed if you want to go to the fringes of the galaxy where stars are not as dense.

I've switched back from the Anaconda to the DBX. I get almost 10 ly shorter jump range but since it's smaller it can land much easily even on rocky and rugged planets.

Scan everything in a system. Zoom in on moons and planets to see if they have any interesting ravines, mountains or other stuff.

Check out the EDSM map for interesting povs. https://www.edsm.net/en/galactic-mapping#2/0/0/25000

Get the third party apps EDDiscovery and ED Observatory. They're a great help to keep track of your travels and if system bodies should have a first and second look.

But most of all - have fun!

I agree with everything, except the recommendation to go shieldless... 🙃

If you do not need the maximum jump range, then there is no reason to have no shields... You do not need to turn them on, to prevent overheating for example, but when approaching planet surface, they are a must IMHO...

The problem is, you can be experienced all you want, but then you end up dead, because for example:
  • your thrusters are not strong enough to slow you down fast enough on high G planet approach
  • your lateral thrusters betray you when you turn on a high G planet (yes, you can drop to the surface when you turn on a high G planet, you fall like a rock)
  • you accidentally reverse when leaving planet and plummet to the surface (almost happened to me, on my HOTAS, I have reverse button, I accidentally left the reverse active, aligned the ship nose up and gave it full throttle and the ship raced backwards to the surface - luckily I reacted quickly)
  • and the list of stupid things can go on and on...
There is just so many ways you can die if you have no shields... :)

Yes, have to agree, I carry minimum shields at least, enough to cover a bumpy landing and I’d certainly carry some heading out to Guardian sites. It is my game ambition to discover a Guardian site, never previously discovered. I’d be pretty miffed to find one then have my ship destroyed by their skimmers.

Top Bottom