First exploration

yes, it will help but only in a modest way.... no first discoveries. Oh, oh...... if during your scans... look for notable interstellar items...... usually around the nebulas..... organic life forms, inorganic crystalline pointy stars, weird jellyfish critters will be found in those. definitely worth adding to your codex (if a new find.. worth 50,000 credits)

Lot of stuff there.

What ship do you have now?

I guess you could go in any ship.

I use a Dolphin, it carries all I need, jumps well, never overheats.

If you’ve unlocked Elite in anything, then get over to Jameson’s in Sinrarta Dezhra, all ships, all modules available.

The FSS is simple to use though many don’t like it because it can become tedious after the 1000th time. That will scan the system and log all the bodies in that system. Fitted as standard on all ships.

The Detailed Surface Scanner (DSS) allows you to fire probes probes at bodies to map them, this information will tell you if there are any POIs on the body. You can earn a fair penny mapping ELWs and the like.

I have to second the dolphin here, even though mine is completely unengineered it is proving to be a very competent explorer. Being able to literally sit in a stars corona forever without overheating is a big advantage too, as is the ability to jump right next to said star, again without overheating. The only trouble with mine being, because it is unengineered, the jump range is limited, that said, for the same reason, I'm getting loads of exploation data & finding loads of unexplored systems on an otherwise well travelled route.

Jameson's Memorial in Shinrarta Dezhra is of course a great place to get everything, since it sells most of what's available in the game, and at a 10% discount. But since it requires an Elite rank, it's OK to save that for later. My next-best suggestion is Ray Gateway in the Diaguandri system, which has most modules, and usually at a 15% discount. However, some of the A-rated modules will occasionally not be there (depending on its current state), or some of the larger modules. Everything you need for a cobra will probably be there though.

Some people prefer to unlock the Guardian FSD Booster before taking a long journey, but that's entirely up to you. Same thing with engineering. These things aren't required, but save you a lot of travel time and/or difficulty with sparse areas.

Like others, I'd recommend a closer target at first, to see if you like it. Since you would like to go to Sgr-A* and beyond, you could start by aiming for the Lagoon Nebula or the Cat's Paw Nebula. They're toward the core, but still relatively nearby, so if you're having fun, you can just continue on from there. If not, you can turn back without too much trouble.

Jameson's Memorial in Shinrarta Dezhra is of course a great place to get everything, since it sells most of what's available in the game, and at a 10% discount. But since it requires an Elite rank, it's OK to save that for later. My next-best suggestion is Ray Gateway in the Diaguandri system, which has most modules, and usually at a 15% discount. However, some of the A-rated modules will occasionally not be there (depending on its current state), or some of the larger modules. Everything you need for a cobra will probably be there though.

Some people prefer to unlock the Guardian FSD Booster before taking a long journey, but that's entirely up to you. Same thing with engineering. These things aren't required, but save you a lot of travel time and/or difficulty with sparse areas.

Like others, I'd recommend a closer target at first, to see if you like it. Since you would like to go to Sgr-A* and beyond, you could start by aiming for the Lagoon Nebula or the Cat's Paw Nebula. They're toward the core, but still relatively nearby, so if you're having fun, you can just continue on from there. If not, you can turn back without too much trouble.
I've heard of Guardian stuff and Thargoid stuff but have no idea how to achieve such things

I've heard of Guardian stuff and Thargoid stuff but have no idea how to achieve such things
The Guardian FSD booster will add a fairly large amount to your ship’s jump capability.

There was a recent thread with tips and vids in it.

This is really where you have to have a think about what you want to do.

Some go for a destination, they want to get there as soon as possible. So the Guardian FSD booster helps with that, it adds an amount of extra light years to each jump your ship can make thus, shaving off time. The amounts are not inconsiderable depending on thee rest of your build.

Others? Well, they prefer a gentle stroll. They're more interested in visiting a lot of systems, they might discover a lot of things.

It really depends on what you picture yourself doing.

I would say however, that once you've got the Guardian FSD, you can always switch it off. The other thing is, visiting any of the Guardian sites is a great experience. So even if you don't go for the booster, a trip out to one of the sites is just a good trip in and of itself.

Some go for a destination, they want to get there as soon as possible. So the Guardian FSD booster helps with that, it adds an amount of extra light years to each jump your ship can make thus, shaving off time. The amounts are not inconsiderable depending on thee rest of your build.

Others? Well, they prefer a gentle stroll. They're more interested in visiting a lot of systems, they might discover a lot of things.

I would say however, that once you've got the Guardian FSD, you can always switch it off. The other thing is, visiting any of the Guardian sites is a great experience. So even if you don't go for the booster, a trip out to one of the sites is just a good trip in and of itself.
Watched the video and it looks really interesting and it seems it will give me some experience in a little exploring.

To your point of speed of exploring, I'm a take as long as it takes kinda bloke because I want to see as much as possible and I want (selfishly) my name on planets and systems

Also if I do the gaurdian quest do I have to do it in the ship I will use to go to Sag a (specifically for the FSD) or once I've got the Guardian FSD can I refit it to my a different ship

Watched the video and it looks really interesting and it seems it will give me some experience in a little exploring.

To your point of speed of exploring, I'm a take as long as it takes kinda bloke because I want to see as much as possible and I want (selfishly) my name on planets and systems
Nothing wrong with putting yourself into the history books.

It might be better to say that, unless you are going to places that involve long jumps, range is more about travel, although, going back to your stated intention, it is important to know that Beagle Point requires a jump range of ~33 LY. You can get that with Jump Boosters (jumponium), but a Cobra can get to the needed range either through Engineering or the Guardian FSD extender.

Guardian tech is an account unlock, not a per ship thing.

Below is an un-Engineered, but with Guardian FSD build that will get to Beagle Point without jumponium.

You could add range to it, but that would be making the course change, thereby reducing the things you see. As was pointed out above, travel and exploration aren't always the same thing.

P.S. Don't forget that buying a vehicle Bay doesn't include a vehicle in the purchase.

Regarding ships..... you can have a space eating wampum on steroids....60+ ly at a jump or you can have a unit with decent jump range at 40 + light years or a T-6 with 20 ly jumps. All will get you where you want to go.. some faster than others, some not. Howevr for those high end jumpers, they are going to miss a lot of systems between jumps that could be very beneficial to you and your pocket book. I have an anaconda with a 39 ly jump.... no special additions... it gets me where I want to go with time to look around. If I come up to an area that has more that 39 ly between systems... remember, that under the inventory.tab .. you have a section that will allow you to boost your fsd jump by 25% or 50% (you did not know that? Now you do. It takes materials to product the fuel so you may need to do some gathering to make it work) so if I have a 39 ly basic jump and give it a 50% boost... that means I can get an additional 19 lys added to a jump..... not too shabby. I have not come across a gap that I cannot jump across.... if I need to jump further... use a local neutron path and get up to 3.5 Times your jump range...who hoo.....that is exploring with Fun written on it. Gad this is fun helping others out.... go for it.

It might be better to say that, unless you are going to places that involve long jumps, range is more about travel, although, going back to your stated intention, it is important to know that Beagle Point requires a jump range of ~33 LY. You can get that with Jump Boosters (jumponium), but a Cobra can get to the needed range either through Engineering or the Guardian FSD extender.

Below is an un-Engineered, but with Guardian FSD build that will get to Beagle Point without jumponium.

You could add range to it, but that would be making the course change, thereby reducing the things you see. As was pointed out above, travel and exploration aren't always the same thing.

P.S. Don't forget that buying a vehicle Bay doesn't include a vehicle in the purchase.
Thank you
Ok, I'll do the Guardian quest in my Cobra as that is what I'm using to explore.
Vehicle bay is stocked up 😊

Regarding ships..... you can have a space eating wampum on steroids....60+ ly at a jump or you can have a unit with decent jump range at 40 + light years or a T-6 with 20 ly jumps. All will get you where you want to go.. some faster than others, some not. Howevr for those high end jumpers, they are going to miss a lot of systems between jumps that could be very beneficial to you and your pocket book. I have an anaconda with a 39 ly jump.... no special additions... it gets me where I want to go with time to look around. If I come up to an area that has more that 39 ly between systems... remember, that under the inventory.tab .. you have a section that will allow you to boost your fsd jump by 25% or 50% (you did not know that? Now you do. It takes materials to product the fuel so you may need to do some gathering to make it work) so if I have a 39 ly basic jump and give it a 50% boost... that means I can get an additional 19 lys added to a jump..... not too shabby. I have not come across a gap that I cannot jump across.... if I need to jump further... use a local neutron path and get up to 3.5 Times your jump range...who hoo.....that is exploring with Fun written on it. Gad this is fun helping others out.... go for it.
I think the jump thing worries me in as much as I don't want to miss anything but then I can't see every planet in the entire galaxy so I'm bound to miss something but maybe gain something at the same time.
I did not know about the FSD boost, wher do I find that ?

On the Cobra load out why is one item in red text ?
That is such a noobie question

On the Cobra load out why is one item in red text ?
That is such a noobie question
Newbie/stupid questions are the ones you don't ask...

The red item is the Power Plant. Properly, it is telling you that you don't have enough power to run everything that is active, but the measurement is... overly simplistic because the Veh Bay won't be powered while you are in flight because it is set at Priority 2 in the Modules, meaning that, if the ship decides it doesn't have enough power, that Module gets turned off.

You could just turn that item off, but, then you have to tinker with it when you are dirtside.

Newbie/stupid questions are the ones you don't ask...

The red item is the Power Plant. Properly, it is telling you that you don't have enough power to run everything that is active, but the measurement is... overly simplistic because the Veh Bay won't be powered while you are in flight because it is set at Priority 2 in the Modules, meaning that, if the ship decides it doesn't have enough power, that Module gets turned off.
Ah got it.
From the load out list ther are no weapons (understandable) but if I do the Guardian quest will I need weapons on board to kill off the sentinels at the Guardian area?

here we go; 1. press #4 to get into the right hand cockpit view
Tab over to inventory tab
tab down to synthesis (apx 4 tabs down)
go to FSD injection and open that up
you will see 3 tabs: basic for 25% increase
standard for 50% increase
premium for 100 % increase
note... all have different material requirements... the onboard computer will determine what you have and than how many jumps you can do with that setting
once you made your choice, click on the bottom and it will tell you it s producing that jump and then it will tell you that it is complete. scroll out of that and go do your interstellar map page
click on the second icon and you wil see jump data..... select fsd boost and it will give you the increase of distances that you requested,then choose a system within that ranged and go for it. pretty simple once you get the hang of it.

here we go; 1. press #4 to get into the right hand cockpit view
Tab over to inventory tab
tab down to synthesis (apx 4 tabs down)
go to FSD injection and open that up
you will see 3 tabs: basic for 25% increase
standard for 50% increase
premium for 100 % increase
note... all have different material requirements... the onboard computer will determine what you have and than how many jumps you can do with that setting
once you made your choice, click on the bottom and it will tell you it s producing that jump and then it will tell you that it is complete. scroll out of that and go do your interstellar map page
click on the second icon and you wil see jump data..... select fsd boost and it will give you the increase of distances that you requested,then choose a system within that ranged and go for it. pretty simple once you get the hang of it.
Absolutely brilliant, thank you so much.
The materials you mention I get from certain planets I visit ?

on the guardian search... make sure that you can land your ship as close as possible so if you run into trouble.. run like heck back to the ship and if the sentinels follow.. your ship will obliterate them for you. yes having weapons is a really, really good idea not only for the guardians but for all the material gathering that you will need to do..... gotta shoot items to get them to fall to the ground.

yes... ground search will do it....you will get 3 items of each material that you gather. or you can do some missions to get materials also.

Top Bottom