Flat Rides Modding Support

Do you think Frontier will ever have its own flat rides modding support?
I think I remember from a livestream like a very early livestream that they didn't want people to use their engine to make custom flat rides because they didn't want people to break it.

It also depends on whether Planet Coaster continues to receive as much support as before. When Frontier/Atari stopped supporting RCT3, the fans started to look for their own ways for new content. If Frontier now concentrates on Planet Zoo as much as possible, it might be possible to find the resourceful modder ways to bring in flat or tracked rides or coasters suitable for Planet Coasters as well. BTW: RCT3 and Planet Coaster both run on the Cobra Engine, although Planco has also been coded on a newer version.

So it should be in Frontier's own interest to keep its fans happy with more content in the form of DLCs.

But are the ovl files harder to crack now? Would be nice to offer mod support for rides especially for rides that Frontier has no plans to make. Parkitect now offers support for flat ride mods, although there was a site with custom rides that no longer works.

You would expect that a modder can do stuff without the support of Frontier.

Maybe there is just no modder around at the moment, that wants to invest his time in modding Planco.

Frontier just isn't interested in spending resources on modding abilities in their games.
You want a mod, you need to find that out on your own. :censored:

This would be a great feature to have in Planet Coaster. When Frontier does stop developing Planet Coaster having a modding support feature would make the game last forever.

This would be a great feature to have in Planet Coaster. When Frontier does stop developing Planet Coaster having a modding support feature would make the game last forever.

Won't be happening.

If they stop developing they will start on PC2 I presume. They will not invest money in PC1 any longer, and surely will not do mod support, as supporting that costs a lot of time, as loads of mods carry bugs over into the game, thus cost a lot of money.

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
It is unlikely that mod support will be added to Planet Coaster. The Thememaker’s Toolkit is already a breakthrough when it comes to "modding" Planet Coaster.

Developers have already confirmed that things like custom rides are not possible, due the complicated design of rides in the game.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: LN
It is unlikely that mod support will be added to Planet Coaster. The Thememaker’s Toolkit is already a breakthrough when it comes to "modding" Planet Coaster.
That's maybe true. I don't think, that Frontier will support modding official.

Developers have already confirmed that things like custom rides are not possible, due the complicated design of rides in the game.
They have think the same with RCT3. And they made a mistake.

Last edited:
Parkitect is now officially allowing players to make custom rides. Why can’t Planet Coaster do the same?

Because Parkitect has been build with an open source engine called Unity and Planco is build with a not so open source engine called Cobra.
Any game that has been made with Unity can be modded. The main selling point of Unity is that everybody can learn to use it, thus making it very accessible.
Downside is that Unity does not necessary give the best graphics or performance of all.

Unity was build with the purpose of selling it to third-parties so anybody can make a game. (and there is a free version as well).
Cobra was build by Frontier for in-house usage only, because of the amount of time and money they invested, and it looks and feels way better than Unity. I can see why they keep it to theirselves.

Because Parkitect has been build with an open source engine called Unity and Planco is build with a not so open source engine called Cobra.
Any game that has been made with Unity can be modded. The main selling point of Unity is that everybody can learn to use it, thus making it very accessible.
Downside is that Unity does not necessary give the best graphics or performance of all.

Unity was build with the purpose of selling it to third-parties so anybody can make a game. (and there is a free version as well).
Cobra was build by Frontier for in-house usage only, because of the amount of time and money they invested, and it looks and feels way better than Unity. I can see why they keep it to theirselves.

And this is fair enough, a lot of Engines nowadays are proprietary and are custom made for the Games they want to make. A "All purpose" Engine might not be the best way to do things all the time. You might be saying: Hang on, Elite Dangerous and Planet Coaster have the same Engine, but are completely different Games. Yes and no. They share the same Base Engine, true, but the Engine is heavily modified for each Game to fit the purpose better. Also the added Bonus is they can share technology easier.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: LN
Maybe down the road Frontier will eventually have modding support. I’m sure Frontier will find away. But like previous comments it’s just not that easy to do in Planet Coaster at the moment.

Top Bottom