Fleet Carrier autorefueling

Hello. It is very tiring for me to collect fuel for the Fleet Carrier when I am far from civilization. Therefore, I have a proposal: for the Fleet Carrier to be able to automatically refuel with tritium fuel. But:
1 - fuel is only filled into the fuel tank and it cannot be removed from the tank.
2 - The Carrier must be parked in the orbit of a planet with a ring containing tritium deposits. We need to scan the ring ourselves first.
3 - tank filling speed 50-100 units per hour (to be changed if necessary)

Hello. It is very tiring for me to collect fuel for the Fleet Carrier when I am far from civilization. Therefore, I have a proposal: for the Fleet Carrier to be able to automatically refuel with tritium fuel. But:
1 - fuel is only filled into the fuel tank and it cannot be removed from the tank.
2 - The Carrier must be parked in the orbit of a planet with a ring containing tritium deposits. We need to scan the ring ourselves first.
This needs to be in the Suggestions section.

If we're going to auto refuel, it should be in populated systems only. It doesn't make sense to be able to auto refuel on in the middle of nowhere unless you had crewmembers hired for that purpose, like a carrier refueling module. So yes, technically the same outcome but with some explanation as to how it happens and a trade off. I don't care for the huge time sink though, but it's better than nothing.

If we're going to auto refuel, it should be in populated systems only. It doesn't make sense to be able to auto refuel on in the middle of nowhere unless you had crewmembers hired for that purpose, like a carrier refueling module. So yes, technically the same outcome but with some explanation as to how it happens and a trade off. I don't care for the huge time sink though, but it's better than nothing.
But if you are in a populated area then you can get your carrier refuelled quite simply by just putting a buy order for Tritium up on your board.

I tried this in Colonia an area renowned for its lack of Tritium and by the next day the order had been fulfilled.

But if you are in a populated area then you can get your carrier refuelled quite simply by just putting a buy order for Tritium up on your board.

I tried this in Colonia an area renowned for its lack of Tritium and by the next day the order had been fulfilled.
exactly, but if you could just pay someone at the station to deliver it to the carrier that would be sweet. I just don't get how a carrier refuels just because it's above a ring, with no traffic coming or going from your carrier.

btw Inara is a must here. I was offering 100K per for trit and got no takers for a week. I dropped it to 80 and listed on Inara and had 5K by the end of the day. I even named my ship to show the price I was offering

I've seen this suggested somewhere before, can't recall if it was here or on a YT video somewhere but saying exactly this. We should be able to put a mining module on to allow passive collection of Tritium from parking at icy rings. Obviously its slower than us mining ourselves, and there would need to be a restriction in place that perhaps the Tritium the NPCs mine goes directly into the FC fuel tank (so you can't sit there and have NPCs mining a full carrier for you to sell) but this is a MUCH needed change if they want to support the longevity of the game going forward

Autoreueling only in systems with a population makes no sense at all. You can usually buy tritium there without any problems. as for the Fleet Carrier crew... there is always a crew on this ship, it is not a one-man ship. However, there could be an additional option to rent an additional pilot who would only be responsible for refueling, or as some write, as an additional Fleet Carrier module. Self-refueling only makes sense when you are far from civilization. >>> I would like to ask moderators to move the thread to the appropriate place <<<

It has sense. We pay crew :)
But I would put in use combat pilot. She/he should go and "mine" that tritium. Elite rated should do about 200t/hr as Elite player do. And she/he should not be avail during that to use on ship. Also pilot can "take" player's ship, i.e. selected ship with refinery becomes un-avail to use by the player.
Also later it could be extended by binding to background, so if she/he has "i was a miner" then she/he gets a bonus for tritium, combat pilots get bonus to combat etc.

50 units per hour would refill the tank from empty in 20 hours, and then in a lightweight build (say, if you didn't have to stick a whole lot of extra Tritium in your hold to start with) you'd get at least seven jumps from that, taking at least 2 hours 20 minutes.

Any icy ring will contain Tritium and icy rings are very common, so finding a suitable "last jump of the day" destination wouldn't be difficult.

Essentially, anyone short of a "several hours a day" player who does nothing much other than jump their carrier through deep space (on a long enough round trip that loading necessary fuel before departure isn't enough) wouldn't need to refuel it manually ever. That's really not a large number of players.

If that's what you're looking for, why not go for something simpler and propose that Tritium is replaced by an equivalent increase in the credit cost of each jump. It's just assumed that some of your carrier crew find the necessary Tritium when needed - in the same way that you don't have to keep hauling Hydrogen Fuel over to keep the Refuel service running. The only purpose of Tritium being a commodity is to make moving carriers around deep space trickier than moving them around the bubble; if you don't think that's a good thing to have, then suggest getting rid of it entirely.

"Auto refuel" is convincing other people to do it for you. The carriers exist to offer Station-like opportunities for players to self organize. Set your purchase price for Tritium high enough and inspire your own gold rush. Park the carrier near a tritium ring and let people mine for you. It'll take forever but realistically if Frontier ever added the feature you are requesting it would have to be slower and more expensive than this.

Maybe ask the Fuel Rats to start a new subdivision dedicated to refueling carriers.

It has sense. We pay crew :)
But I would put in use combat pilot. She/he should go and "mine" that tritium. Elite rated should do about 200t/hr as Elite player do. And she/he should not be avail during that to use on ship. Also pilot can "take" player's ship, i.e. selected ship with refinery becomes un-avail to use by the player.
Also later it could be extended by binding to background, so if she/he has "i was a miner" then she/he gets a bonus for tritium, combat pilots get bonus to combat etc.
You're not going to find a worthy combat pilot who also mines fuel, plus there would be a requirement for a new module that ate up resources like credits. They aren't going to make your lazy, good for nothing fighter crew more efficient. I also think there's no need to create an NPC that actually goes and mines. It can be assumed that they did after X amount of time and the tank is full.

You're not going to find a worthy combat pilot who also mines fuel, plus there would be a requirement for a new module that ate up resources like credits. They aren't going to make your lazy, good for nothing fighter crew more efficient. I also think there's no need to create an NPC that actually goes and mines. It can be assumed that they did after X amount of time and the tank is full.
Yes, but as "payment" NPC should be blocked. So you can't use it elsewhere. Also NPC already take 10% of everything, including ranks & progressions.

Yes, but as "payment" NPC should be blocked. So you can't use it elsewhere. Also NPC already take 10% of everything, including ranks & progressions.
NPCs take a variable percentage of your credit earnings depending on their rank when you hired them and what you have ranked them up to no matter what the NPC is doing. The only progression they affect is combat where they take 50% of the experience points but only if they are used in the fight and that stops when they are ranked up.

I posted a similar thread in suggestions but I addressed another issue: There's no way to transfer Tritium from FC's Cargo hold to the Tritium Depot without using a ship. I literally bought an alt account just so I can buy Tritium from the FC and donate it to the Depot so I could use my own hard earned fuel that's stored in the exact same carrier I'm fueling.

That mechanic isn't important. There are a dozen other ways to do it, like ship crew that belongs to the module you've installed.

I've had similar idea. It'd be a service you install. "Mining barracks" or something. Would have a fleet of off-screen NPC ships slowly get you the minerals you put on order, provided that you park your ship on system with proper rings. Another could be a "cargo terminal" where NPCs deliver you commodities you order if you are in a populated system with proper economy.

Just play the game! Automating every resource-gathering task is missing the point. Why not just have paid credits for an "I win" button? The fruits of space are there for us to pick, if we have the skills. As with real pioneers and frontiersmen, two of those skills are patience and determination. It's not all about twitch reflex.

I can go angling for fish, catch and clean them - or just rock up at Tesco's fish counter and let someone else do all the work. Which makes for a better pastime?

Last edited:
Just play the game! Automating every resource-gathering task is missing the point. Why not just have paid credits for an "I win" button? The fruits of space are there for us to pick, if we have the skills. As with real pioneers and frontiersmen, two of those skills are patience and determination. It's not all about twitch reflex.

I can go angling for fish, catch and clean them - or just rock up at Tesco's fish counter and let someone else do all the work. Which makes for a better pastime?
Sit for hours on the canal bank drowning maggots or sit in my comfy chair playing EDO waiting for a Whoosh delivery, hmm!

Apart from the analogy I agree with you.

Top Bottom