Fleet Carrier autorefueling

Having NPC crews refill SOME of the tritium on your carrier while parked is keeping with both the lore and spirit of the game. Some people might argue "why is there a need for ship transfer between stations? Some people just don't want to fly the ship themselves" but it's dumb. You are paying for an entire carrier. If you were a multibillionaire IRL and you bought a super yacht, you'd be pretty annoyed if you had to do everything yourself. That's why you pay for a crew. Yes, you foot the bill in the end but you are literally paying a crew to do a job.

All FDev has to do is deduct the galactic average price of Tritium from your carrier's balance for every unit of Tritium the NPC's mine for you, and that way there's no "free ride" and everyone wins.

Having NPC crews refill SOME of the tritium on your carrier while parked is keeping with both the lore and spirit of the game. Some people might argue "why is there a need for ship transfer between stations? Some people just don't want to fly the ship themselves" but it's dumb. You are paying for an entire carrier. If you were a multibillionaire IRL and you bought a super yacht, you'd be pretty annoyed if you had to do everything yourself. That's why you pay for a crew. Yes, you foot the bill in the end but you are literally paying a crew to do a job.

All FDev has to do is deduct the galactic average price of Tritium from your carrier's balance for every unit of Tritium the NPC's mine for you, and that way there's no "free ride" and everyone wins.
I guess that is the problem people advocate here.
FDevs exactly want that "multibillionaire" should do it self without NPC help. Only other human beings are allowed to help.

That's design conflict. From 1 side game is about "hard working cmdr". From other side some of those cmdrs collected more money that any NPC had according to news and want to stop self hard work.

I guess that is the problem people advocate here.
FDevs exactly want that "multibillionaire" should do it self without NPC help. Only other human beings are allowed to help.

That's design conflict. From 1 side game is about "hard working cmdr". From other side some of those cmdrs collected more money that any NPC had according to news and want to stop self hard work.
The point im making though is that if the game automatically deducts the credits from the carrier balance at the galactic average price for every unit of tritium your carrier crew mines, it's still the same as if you go and buy it yourself. It's a lot slower than doing it yourself, and they could even put a cooldown in for "crew repairs" etc so maybe you could only mine 1000t every couple of days, but the point still stands its faster to do it yourself and you could if you wanted to but it would still be a good addition to the game.
Again I remain perplexed that any QoL feature suggested on these forums is met with immediately tantrums and "THE GAME IS HARD FOR A REASON STOP WANTING TO MAKE IT EASIER"

The point im making though is that if the game automatically deducts the credits from the carrier balance at the galactic average price for every unit of tritium your carrier crew mines, it's still the same as if you go and buy it yourself. It's a lot slower than doing it yourself, and they could even put a cooldown in for "crew repairs" etc so maybe you could only mine 1000t every couple of days, but the point still stands its faster to do it yourself and you could if you wanted to but it would still be a good addition to the game.
Again I remain perplexed that any QoL feature suggested on these forums is met with immediately tantrums and "THE GAME IS HARD FOR A REASON STOP WANTING TO MAKE IT EASIER"
Yes but that is because some of the people on the forum believe that so it follows that even more players will feel that way as well.

Yes but that is because some of the people on the forum believe that so it follows that even more players will feel that way as well.
In my experience the forum is mostly filled with negativity, and that the main use of these forums is to complain about things they personally don't like. The rest of us just play the game and get on with life. If the devs actually read these forums and took "some" complaints to mean that "more players will feel that way as well", they'd just put the game into maintenance mode and stop development all together, since everyone seems to want this game to be as difficult and time consuming to play as physically possible

Having NPC crews refill SOME of the tritium on your carrier while parked is keeping with both the lore and spirit of the game.

If implemented, using actual ED lore how do you explain:
  • NPCs can mine tritium but not capable of mining anything else?
  • In order to do mining, the NPCs would presumably need to DSS scan for tritium locations. But... then wouldn't the system be auto-scanned? Why isn't the system auto-scanned by NPCs?
  • What ship is the NPCs gonna use? Do they bring their own or use one of yours?
  • NPCs can do mining but can't do any other basic useful function. Why not? What about exobiology? Maybe some kind of NPC Union rules?

This suggestion is so obviously nothing to do with lore or spirit of game and 100% with cmdrs that want to zip around in fleet carriers with no cost or effort.

• In order to do mining, the NPCs would presumably need to DSS scan for tritium locations. But... then wouldn't the system be auto-scanned? Why isn't the system auto-scanned by NPCs?
  • NPCs can do mining but can't do any other basic useful function. Why not? What about exobiology? Maybe some kind of NPC Union rules?

This suggestion is so obviously nothing to do with lore or spirit of game and 100% with cmdrs that want to zip around in fleet carriers with no cost or effort.
Yeah, it turns into a minefield when you have carrier NPCs flying ships for you. "Why can't I designate a trade route for them to follow?", "why can't they fly around my carrier and defend it when I'm attacked by sys sec?", "why can't the NPCs come with me into a CZ?", "why can't NPCs gather materials for me (especially since this is a byproduct of mining)?"

Yeah, it turns into a minefield when you have carrier NPCs flying ships for you. "Why can't I designate a trade route for them to follow?", "why can't they fly around my carrier and defend it when I'm attacked by sys sec?", "why can't the NPCs come with me into a CZ?", "why can't NPCs gather materials for me (especially since this is a byproduct of mining)?"
Okey...we had dreggers clans. Why carrier can't "land" into the ring and just scoop all there and filter out the tritium ? Other minerals could be explained as "different hard separation process". But yes, it has no sense we must manually dig in 31th century :D

Okey...we had dreggers clans. Why carrier can't "land" into the ring and just scoop all there and filter out the tritium ? Other minerals could be explained as "different hard separation process". But yes, it has no sense we must manually dig in 31th century :D
You can’t jump into anything like a ring, you can’t even fly through one in supercruise and carriers can’t move in supercruise or normal space.

But the real reason is the game is designed to be played by the players not by bots scripts or itself.

Very easily:
  • The refuelling is done via a carrier service in the same way you have any other service on your ship. It has a weekly upkeep cost and requires a portion of your cargo capacity.
  • NPCs can only mine Tritium as that is all the carrier service is designed to do. Just like you can only sell exobiology data at a Vista Genomics, that's what it's there for.
  • The carrier service requires a portion of your cargo capacity in the same way a shipyard/outfitting does. You can have up to four pre-made ships specifically for this service and this affects the speed at which they mine (one being the slowest, four the fastest)
  • You would first send them out on a mission to find an icy ring in the planet which has a set cooldown (1-2hrs). Upon returning you get notified of the planet, and can send them off to gather. If it is a system you have already discovered or an icy ring you have already mapped, you don't have to do this.
  • NPC discovery of an icy ring does not affect you and if you wish to mine, you still need to discover and map the ring yourself (as you normally would)
  • NPCs can only mine up to a maximum of 1000t of Tritium, enough to fill your Tritium depot. Once this is full it incurs a cooldown and cannot be used in that time (ship repairs for NPCs). The more they gather, the longer this cooldown is. User can not specify the amount of Tritium they can mine, they will fill based on whatever is currently left in your Tritium depot. This is to stop people incurring short cooldowns by only mining 100t at a time.
  • Any Tritium mined by NPCs is deducted from your carrier balance at whatever the galactic average price is, alongside 12.5% in additional tax/fees for the service. This way it is a CONVENIENCE and not a free ride as you seem to want to constantly claim.
See, that really wasn't hard was it

You can’t jump into anything like a ring, you can’t even fly through one in supercruise and carriers can’t move in supercruise or normal space.

But the real reason is the game is designed to be played by the players not by bots scripts or itself.
Going off the logic in this thread, the BGS is scripted so FDev should disable it and all powerplay must be done by players only

To be fair, there are capital ships that hover above planetary surfaces like they're suggesting FCs do with rings, we really don't know what the limits of capital ship drives are. Plus there are dredgers that can mine these things in deep space anyway.

Very easily:....
a) How does that fit in with existing lore (as you earlier stated)? You just created a bunch of your own lore to "kinda" make your ideas work.... but in the process open up a whole new set of inconsistencies in the game.

b) "NPCs can only mine Tritium as that is all the carrier service is designed to do." How does this statement make any sense at all? A mining feature that can auto-mine tritium but nothing else... up to a max of 1000t. This is the most illogical idea I have heard on these forums for a long time.

c) Why would FDev go to these lengths of program additions to add no gaming activities to the game. All this does is allow players to fly around in their fleet carrier at no cost* or effort. Just a passive system that auto refuels. No gaming activity added or expanded on. An encouragement for players to play AFK. It would be simpler for FDev to simply remove the requirement to fuel the carrier.

Edit:
*Ok, your revised idea says it would cost galactic average*12.5% + cost of Fleet carrier module + added weekly maint cost. Okay, so now whats the point in this at all? Convienience? It takes me less than an hour to fuel my carrier for a many-many-month journey. In-bubble activities? One 700t load of tritium is sufficient for +dozen short-hop jumps in bubble. The only players this would benefit are:
i) Those that went into deep space too cheep to fill up with tritium... but they bought this new FC module and pay even more per unit tritium? huh?
ii) Those that went into deep space and after many months have decided to never return to human space.
Which is a very small percentage of players. Why would FDev put this kind of effort into something for so few players? Your proposed idea is not minor. Adding no gameplay... how does this feature retain players... or attract new players. It just doesn't make any sense.

--> It should also be noted that if your idea was implemented & popular it would effectively place a price cap on how much cmdrs can sell tritium to other cmdrs. Regardless of where they are selling it in the galaxy. Why would a cmdr in colonia pay more than galactic average *12.5%???

Last edited:
A tritium mining module would be cool for long exploration. At least gives some purpose to all those npcs inside the carrier. Plenty of opportunities to balance changes.
an engineered fuel scoop would work. And then it could only scoop tritium from very rare stars, eg wolf rayets or even more dangerous white dwarves.

an engineered fuel scoop would work. And then it could only scoop tritium from very rare stars, eg wolf rayets or even more dangerous white dwarves.
At 40000 ly mark mining T9 works no worse :D Yesterday I dig 350t instead required 130T. :D
P.S. But that is not something I would like to repeat always. Once I will fit "no mine" calculated balance, I will stop it at all.

NPCs can only mine Tritium as that is all the carrier service is designed to do." How does this statement make any sense at all? A mining feature that can auto-mine tritium but nothing else... up to a max of 1000t. This is the most illogical idea I have heard on these forums for a long time.
Because they are a crew tasked with a specific task by their captain? I don't understand how this doesn't make any sense?

a) How does that fit in with existing lore (as you earlier stated)? You just created a bunch of your own lore to "kinda" make your ideas work.... but in the process open up a whole new set of inconsistencies in the game.

b) "NPCs can only mine Tritium as that is all the carrier service is designed to do." How does this statement make any sense at all? A mining feature that can auto-mine tritium but nothing else... up to a max of 1000t. This is the most illogical idea I have heard on these forums for a long time.

c) Why would FDev go to these lengths of program additions to add no gaming activities to the game. All this does is allow players to fly around in their fleet carrier at no cost* or effort. Just a passive system that auto refuels. No gaming activity added or expanded on. An encouragement for players to play AFK. It would be simpler for FDev to simply remove the requirement to fuel the carrier.

Edit:
*Ok, your revised idea says it would cost galactic average*12.5% + cost of Fleet carrier module + added weekly maint cost. Okay, so now whats the point in this at all? Convienience? It takes me less than an hour to fuel my carrier for a many-many-month journey. In-bubble activities? One 700t load of tritium is sufficient for +dozen short-hop jumps in bubble. The only players this would benefit are:
i) Those that went into deep space too cheep to fill up with tritium... but they bought this new FC module and pay even more per unit tritium? huh?
ii) Those that went into deep space and after many months have decided to never return to human space.
Which is a very small percentage of players. Why would FDev put this kind of effort into something for so few players? Your proposed idea is not minor. Adding no gameplay... how does this feature retain players... or attract new players. It just doesn't make any sense.

--> It should also be noted that if your idea was implemented & popular it would effectively place a price cap on how much cmdrs can sell tritium to other cmdrs. Regardless of where they are selling it in the galaxy. Why would a cmdr in colonia pay more than galactic average *12.5%???
a) I literally explained it, as you asked.
b) See reason a)
c) Its like everything else on a fleet carrier, its an optional service. What does people selling ships or modules on their carrier add to the game when players can just go to the bubble and buy everything there instead? You keep banging on about "fly around in their fleet carrier at no cost" when I've literally explained that there's a cost to this service, and I hate to break it to you but people already fill their carriers for no cost in the black because mining tritium yourself is literally free, and will continue to be free.

The only person inventing "logic" to make excuses for why this is a bad idea is you

Last edited:
Because they are a crew tasked with a specific task by their captain? I don't understand how this doesn't make any sense?
It does but if we can have crew that can do that then the endless arguments will ramp up demanding that they can do other stuff for us and we will end up with more new lyrics to that 1970s classic by The Eagles.

Top Bottom