Fleet Carrier enchancement ideas (Upkeep, Carrier-tied gameplay, etc.)

As we all know, Fleet Carriers have been added fairly recently to the game, but outside of cargo transfer/ DSSA/ roleplay purposes, they have been a bit lackluster. This essay thread is aimed at changing that.

Chapter 1: Upkeep

The upkeep of a fleet carrier has been a topic of dispute since the first beta release of the Fleet Carriers. Currently, there is only one truly efficent method of upkeeping a FC - Mining. And don't get me wron, mining can be fun sometimes, but it shouldn't be a necessity. And so, it can be improved. How about we use an another already existing system to enchance the FC upkeep options?

I present to you: Faction Voucher System

It essentially works like this: If you have a FC, and you get a faction to an "Allied" status, they will start sending a certain amount of credits to your FC. Tose credits are locked, and cannot be used outside of carrier upkeep. Getting 20-25 factions allied should be enough to upkeep a carrier with all services. "But how are the the upkeep vouchers regulated to fit MY upkeep amount?" Well, the amount of credits in the sum of all vouchers is never higher than the weekly upkeep for the carrier. "But doesn't this make Carriers free?" I'm glad you asked, enter:

The Faction loyalty approval missions
The faction loyalty approval missions are a special type of missions available only to the FC owner at their Fleet Carrier. These missions will reward nothing outside of prolonging the Faction Voucher payment, and need to be completed on a bi-monthy (every two months) basis. One mission per faction, chaning based on the location of the FC. Say, you are in deep space, then the missions would be to either
1. Scan a specific planet
2. Deep Space Rescue
3. Wreckage salvage
4. Refuel an NPC

Or in Colonia/Bubble
Combat:
1. Hunt down a pirate/some sort of gang
2. Clear out a specific unauthorized installation
3. SRV combat(maybe)
4. A combat recon mission
Delivery:
1. Find a certain commodity and bring it to the FC for further delivery(the mission starts and concludes at the FC)
2. Deliver a package sent by the mission giver faction from your FC to a station/planetary outpost
3. Maybe a tourist mission or smth

How would these missions be special? For example, they would give you some procedurally-generated lore about the faction at the end of a mission, say, like,
The person you rescued thanking you and telling you how they ended up there
The unauthorized installation you cleared out having combat logs about it being taken over
The recipients of the package from the delivery mission telling you how needed it was
Or maybe even the scanning results from the exploration mission stating that an ELW has early intelligent life
And as well as having all these lore messages, it would have a small material package you can pick up at the mission location/get from the outpost/the NPC you refuelled. This would be an optional reward, but it would further reinforcethe FC's usefulness.

Chapter 2: FC to NPC interactions

Currently, the NPCs that dock at your fleet carrier do nothing and just take up pads. There is a solution to that, which ties in nicely with the previous chapter(see above)

1. Make all NPCs that dock allied to the factions you are allied with.

2. Give them a purpose
Have friendly bounty huters drop by if you have a bounty contact/ Redemption office contact, Traders that bring in some commodities, or NPC Explorers (not too many of them) coming to your FC to refuel/repair/sell data if you have UC installed.

Bounty hunters: Just have them drop off some cut of their bounties, a small randomly generated amount of credits corresponding to their combat rank and equivalent to the cut your carrier would usually take i.e.

(randomly generated number of credits, the higer the combat rank of the NPC, the more)*0.125 Credits
Traders: Have them either buy things from your carrier or sell stuff to your carrier, corresponding to your orders. To keep it balanced, no more than 10 units per trader, plus, the corresponding amount of credits will be taken from your Carrier(if there are none left other than the Faction Vouchers, the trade doesn't happen), and the traders coming in about 30-45 minute intervals. In turn for that, have them buy stuff from your carrier, putting the Credits into the Carrier's bank.

Also, they should sometimes combat some NPC pirates around your FCs, as sometimes seen near stations.

1. +Commodity you have ordered, -Credits from your FC account.
2. -Commodity you sell, +Credits to your FC account.

Explorers: Just have them stop by and drop off their data lol (If you have a UC)

The amount of cash you recieve will be recieving calculate therough the same formula as the bounty hunters , but in relation to their Exploration rank(see the formula above)
And also have them sometimes rank up after visiting your carrier.

Chapter 3: Conclusion, Fluff, your suggestions

The best thing about this entire system is that it
1. Doesn't make use of any new code(Mission board is the same, the messages are equivalent to the Encounters as teased in the Chapter 4 Beyond stream)

2. Completely opt-in. You don't actually have to do all of that, you can use other methods, like mining, if you want to!

3. It sounds flippin' cool and gives Carriers just that extra bit of life that they need

4. Completely original. No, I did not steal the mechanics from any other game

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
This concludes my essay thread on the Fleet Carriers.

Let me know if there is anything else you would want to see in the comments!

Fly safe o7

- CMDR Qohaw

Last edited:
Top Bottom