ANNOUNCEMENT Fleet Carriers - Content Reveal Announcement

Two threads - Duplicate of my post in the other content reveal thread:

"There is a mixture of views in this thread - after 47 pages mostly negative. What is fairly clear though is that there are a lot of questions and even the positive comments seem to have a rider of some sort to explain a bad mechanic. E.g. FC's are too big to fly so its ok that you can't fly them, the maintenance cost is ok because you can get credits easily in the game by doing x or y, you can use an FC in exploration but that is like taking your house with you so naturally slow.

In short, no-one is saying "wow", "this is fantastic" or "FD you have outdone yourself". Instead the comments very muted or salty which accords with my impression of the FC mechanics so far. If were to summarise my impression it is that FD has adapted the existing capital ship mechanic/content (which is a nice in game prop but otherwise pretty useless) and bolted on a whole lot of existing starport services which are meant to introduce a player economy but probably won't work (because you can get the same thing anywhere). Disappointing really and not something that strikes me as 2 years of hard focused work to come up with a game changer.

The feedback from the beta will be telling."

I agree with you, I just hope the can make some basic adjustment:
1 - A module for the Universal Cartographics or a way to store them in the carriers and sell them when we are back in the bubble
2 - A cruise speed mode. If the carrier is all lockdown for a long trip the there is only a small cooldown/ warm-up of 5 minutes (I take 2 minutes to make 500 Ly in my conda, I can cover 300 ly in one jump with a Neutron boost) and it uses 5 times less fuel
To re-enable the modules takes time so the player can decide if is a good idea to "pack it up" or jump the regular way
3- A passive way to get tritium from ice asteroid belts
Allow us to park the carrier on an asteroid belt and scoop it
4- A bigger tank, allow us to buy a module for extra fuel tank
5- Allow us to program a route for the carrier to follow when we are offline. This will make it viable for long trips of exploration.
There are plenty of other good suggestions that do not requiore major rework. Please consider them.

Errm 5,000,000,000 for a Fleet Carrier.. and one of my Cutters is worth 1,200,000,000... so no, 4x price of a Cutter, not 25000x LOL
EVERYBODY, I'm SORRY, I really was wrong about the order. But even if it's 25 Cutters, it doesn't make much difference. If you were a Merchant Elite and had a Cargo Cutter you would earn as much if YOUR rank was poor and YOU had any T9.

Basically, the FCs are an Excel Spreadsheet masquerading as a massive space ship!!! They are also an expensive storage space that can move as slow as my grandparents driving... I don't believe these have been in development for the last few years, they seem more of a rush job to me. Instead, they have devoted the time saved into the paid update to occur later this year. This is supposed to tie us all over until then, but its a terrible idea. Why not own up to the mistake of even mentioning these massive ships too early!?

That been said, there are a lot about the FCs we don't know, and only playing the Beta will guive us a better understanding on what these ships can and can't do. But my optimisim is at an all time low. If this is the best that FDev can introduce, it's probably best to leave the game alone and not bring them into the game at all!!!

Since FC will permeate both single and open games, i.e. all instances in the game, it is very interesting how the restrictions on the presence of FC in one system, in orbit of one planet will be made...
WAIT, YOU CAN'T JUMP THERE SO ALL THE PLACES ARE ALREADY OCCUPIED ?

I agree with you, I just hope the can make some basic adjustment:
1 - A module for the Universal Cartographics or a way to store them in the carriers and sell them when we are back in the bubble
2 - A cruise speed mode. If the carrier is all lockdown for a long trip the there is only a small cooldown/ warm-up of 5 minutes (I take 2 minutes to make 500 Ly in my conda, I can cover 300 ly in one jump with a Neutron boost) and it uses 5 times less fuel
To re-enable the modules takes time so the player can decide if is a good idea to "pack it up" or jump the regular way
3- A passive way to get tritium from ice asteroid belts
Allow us to park the carrier on an asteroid belt and scoop it
4- A bigger tank, allow us to buy a module for extra fuel tank
5- Allow us to program a route for the carrier to follow when we are offline. This will make it viable for long trips of exploration.
There are plenty of other good suggestions that do not requiore major rework. Please consider them.
Fdev, employ this man ^
Except for point 5, I think you are pushin it with that one tbh lol

Price Ok ... maintenance Ok .... the autonomy needs to be fixed for at least 5000Ly (not counting an extra load of tritium) .... preparation for the jump of about 10 seconds ... and zero cooldown .. ..FD ... save the game

Price Ok ... maintenance Ok .... the autonomy needs to be fixed for at least 5000Ly (not counting an extra load of tritium) .... preparation for the jump of about 10 seconds ... and zero cooldown .. ..FD ... save the game
Then why would the FSD need an engine on the ships?

Guys check this out and please tell me why would FDevs do this? People with less then 5b cant even try them to see if they want to grind the credits? That doesn't make sense to me at all.
I have the credits to buy 2 of those. It is just a silly move imo.

Fleet Carriers will cost 5,000,000,000 credits in this beta

Well ... it is insane and ridiculous 2 hours to jump, and the range will also be ridiculous, probably. They could at least allow the player to exist in 2 different places ... on the carrier, wherever you are, and for example in the bubble .... this would help in long, monotonous and unbearable long journeys (google)

I commented earlier in this thread regarding my impression of FC. Basically, disappointing. Having reflected on the reasons for my disappointment it is simply that the FC will not be a viable (or fun) option for a single player like me i.e. at best it will be a storage locker in the bubble. This is due to at least 4 things:

Cool down period too long
This is pretty much kills FC as a mode of player transport or exploration. It may be a technical issue, but from a gameplay perspective it is ugly. I can go anywhere (almost) any time with a good exploration ship. The FC will just be an anchor.

Fuel for each jump (500t)
This is way too high and creates logistical problems. Buying tritium when inside the bubble has not been fully explained (availability is to be limited some star ports, cost unknown, how transferred from star port to the FC unclear). Mining large quantities of tritium when outside the bubble every second jump (at the least) will get old very fast. This practically rules out the FC for real exploration. No amount of shouting will convince me that I or any sane player will be happy to mine 1,000t of tritium when in the deep every two jumps.

Holding Costs
Paying ongoing maintenance, etc. to hold the FC may be ok when inside the bubble. It will be very difficult outside the bubble because the owner does not have any sensible way to earn credits that can be transferred to the FC (assuming he or she is on the FC). So unless the owner has excess credits to transfer to the FC up front this rules out exploration.

No bridge/ No fly
This one really kills it for me. I play ED to fly ships in space. If I can't be in the bridge and fly the thing (directly or indirectly) then that's just crappy. Sorry, but it really is.

Last edited:
Wow! there is a lot of negativity about fleet carriers. I agree with a lot of them. Me personally, I would like to see a couple of changes. On, the cool down and spooling up times for a 500ly jump. 2 hours!! absurd! and two, myself and most people I think tend to spend time away from the game, such as vacations. I think after a period of maybe one week of inactivity the expenses freeze.

But lets step back a little, they are only putting out a beta, seems like its going to be a long trial. Then they would get a lot of feedback from the beta testers. I bet there will be a ton of changes. So .. lets relax and let the beta testers run their trials.

But lets step back a little, they are only putting out a beta, seems like its going to be a long trial. Then they would get a lot of feedback from the beta testers. I bet there will be a ton of changes. So .. lets relax and let the beta testers run their trials.
Not many players participate in the beta test. Given this:
I do not think that testing will be fully implemented. And I think that many will abandon the open game in order to accumulate the necessary amount for several years in a single game.

Wow! there is a lot of negativity about fleet carriers. I agree with a lot of them. Me personally, I would like to see a couple of changes. On, the cool down and spooling up times for a 500ly jump. 2 hours!! absurd! and two, myself and most people I think tend to spend time away from the game, such as vacations. I think after a period of maybe one week of inactivity the expenses freeze.

@Evang. You didn't quote my post (above yours), but certainly it is a negative post. I would say though that I don't want to be negative and like you hope that the beta testing results in changes. ATM I really find it difficult to see how FC provide much for the single player.

There are several features in the game already that I will probably never bother with, some of them deemed to be the core of the game by their fans, Fleet Carriers might join that number I will know that after the betas. The price tag will only determine when I acquire one not if, just how much of an issue upkeep costs will be might lead me not to get one.

None of which would stop me playing the game after all I am playing the game happily without a carrier now.

To go from nothing to 5 billion by the launch might be a grind but getting there in a year or more won't be as long as care is taken after all this isn't a race so why rush.

Great points!

So my opinion is colored by my experience - I've pretty much done everything I enjoy in the game twice: Once on XBOX, and once on PC.

That said, since I can't bring myself to grind from 500m to 5b, I'm thinking of just waiting until the new DLC is available ;-)

You will never land on one to do busines, repair or refit?
Even if you don't have one, because you are clearly flying with an analog ship, even then, you can use it. It will have a huge impact on the galaxy.
As stated before you should stop using your
abacus and grab a Quantum Computer and do the math, you need around 10 million per day to get it
Regarding the upkeep well, we don't know yet, we will see I am sure FDevs will have some safeguards for an inactive player with carrier.
You are an analog and casual gamer, I respect that, that doesn't mean all the content has to be available for casual play either.

Great points.

I group up with friends twice a week to play games, and we've pretty much done everything we've wanted to do in Elite, first on the XBOX, and then again on the PC.

I was hoping fleet carriers would give me something new to do (other than use them like any other starport) but at 5b I'll pass on the grind and wait on the DLC ;-)

On page 200 out of 800 https://inara.cz/galaxy-rankings/?page=200 you can meet commanders with over 5 bil. On page 300 there are couple close to it.
This means 25% of population may buy immedial, another 10-15% can buy 3 days later. Total 40% - pretty good math.

Uh, no.

While I get your math, several billionaires have already stated they have no interest in FCs.

Plus, I bet FDev can produce real numbers showing less than 1% of all ED accounts have ever had a 5 billion credit balance.

And many of us with large fleets don't see it as an appealing option to sell most of our fleet to buy one Fleet Carrier :-(

So, have fun with FC's, and I'll wait on the DLC.

You seem to be asuming that non FC owners will not enjoy, use or benefit in any way from FC effects and features.

Nope, I'm saying I don't think having more stations dramatically makes the game better.

Yes,I can totally see some places where a well fitted carrier could help, but when you have everything (ships and modules) you need already strategically located around the Galaxy, it doesn't get you very excited.

But really only time will tell - I'm going to take a pass at grinding 5b and wait on the DLC.

1.I think this has already been said but we should be able to sell exploration data you can sell codex discovery rewards so this doesn't make sense
2.Also why do we have to pay an extra fee to store ships and modules that are ours i understand if you buy them to sell on but if you are transferring yours and your squads why should this be an additional service cost
3.The up keep costs are vastly OP and dormant costs crazy aswell

Top Bottom