Fleet Carriers: not a new speculation post, just a feedback request to FDEV on major points

dxm55

Banned
The destination system would not necessarily need to have the required materials - they could be gathered by players anywhere and deposited on the Carrier ion preparation for the next jump.

I would hope that any materials required to jump would be raw (rather than encoded or manufactured) as to do otherwise would needlessly limit the reasonable range of the Carrier - unless players were expected to travel to and from the bubble / Colonia to gather them....

Oh Jesus Christ.... Mats for fuel. More grind. :rolleyes:
Not sure why anyone would think that grinding materials for fuel would be a good thing.
Hydrogen is already fuel for our ships. And whatever or however our ships can refuel (from a station and scooping) should apply to a large ship too.

I can understand grinding raw mats to boost jump range, ala Synthesis. But simply for jump fuel? Doesn't make even a single modicum of sense at all.

Logically speaking, a large ship like this would run on some kind of reactor that only requires fueling every few years, like a US Navy CVN.

Making gameplay artificially difficult just to act as a time sink shows that the game lacks substantial depth or actual substance, and instead have to resort to making players do runabout grind to occupy their time and distract them.

Maybe FDev would like to clarify how the Farragut and Majestic class ships make their jumps.
They seem to do it without needing their NPC chums to grind Vanadium or God knows what Neofabric Insulators for a jump. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I would also add in
Are FD interested in having NPC squadrons based around the existing factions with their personal faction flavour goals that guild averse CMDRS can join

I don't want to know all, but there are few things that are driving a lot of speculations in the community and I kindly ask FDEV to answer only to a few basic questions that would solve most of it.

1. Are Fleet Carriers meant for Squadrons only, or can they be used also by single players as a moving base for their own fleet?

How are you going to get your fleet to the carrier? It won't have a shipyard, just repair/resupply. You fly one ship there, then you....what? Magically jump shipless to where your other ships are and fly them to the fleet carrier?

How are you going to get your fleet to the carrier? It won't have a shipyard, just repair/resupply. You fly one ship there, then you....what? Magically jump shipless to where your other ships are and fly them to the fleet carrier?
How do you know it won't have a shipyard?
I'm not talking purchasable brand new ships, but I think they will definitely be able to store players ships.
If they're just a single pad base with refuel/repair/reammo options they could've been developed and released with one of the beyond minor updates.
I think we all expect something more than that since they required 2 years of development...

Last edited:

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Not sure why anyone would think that grinding materials for fuel would be a good thing.
Hydrogen is already fuel for our ships. And whatever or however our ships can refuel (from a station and scooping) should apply to a large ship too.

I can understand grinding raw mats to boost jump range, ala Synthesis. But simply for jump fuel? Doesn't make even a single modicum of sense at all.
I'm merely exploring possibilities based on AdamBW's use of the term "resources", i.e. neither "fuel" or "materials", when discussing when a Carrier may jump.

I'd hope that a Carrier will run on hydrogen fuel that can be scooped pretty much anywhere in the galaxy - and would lead to tanker support gameplay when the Squadron wants to take the Carrier through a region with no scoopable stars.

dxm55

Banned
I'm merely exploring possibilities based on AdamBW's use of the term "resources", i.e. neither "fuel" or "materials", when discussing when a Carrier may jump.

I'd hope that a Carrier will run on hydrogen fuel that can be scooped pretty much anywhere in the galaxy - and would lead to tanker support gameplay when the Squadron wants to take the Carrier through a region with no scoopable stars.

Yeah? I hope so too. Hydrogen pls. It only makes sense. And scoopable.
I would think that the squadron that runs the carrier would scout out systems before the mothership jumped there and got itself stranded.

Or whatever that runs the Farragut and Majestic.... I'm hoping it's a long term exotic fuel solution.

Top Bottom