Distant Worlds II Event Fleet Mechanics

Last edited:
Salutations commanders. o7

Me and my squadron (Stellar Maniacs) are late comers to the expedition. We are on our way to catch up.
I choose Fleet mechanic as a secondary role. We are able (We have 2 repair capable ships and 2 additional vessels with spare limpets.) and willing to help.

Ship Name is XRV FRANCIS DRAKE
Commander name: LYKREIOS

Have a safe journey!

I think I just found the perfect theme song for the Fleet Mechanics:

[video=youtube;p1nefK6-GiA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1nefK6-GiA[/video]

Seriously, can make a grown man cry this song:

[Verse 1]
Can you hear, can you hear, can you hear my voice?
Coming through, coming through, coming through the noise
I'm floating through outer space
I'm lost and I can't find a way
Oh, all the lights going dark and my hope's destroyed

[Pre-Chorus]
Help me, is anybody there?
(Is anybody there? Is anybody there?)
Save me, I'm running out of air, ooh

[Chorus]
Calling out mayday
Calling out mayday

[Verse 2]
It's so dark, it's so dark out here in space
And it's been so long, been so long since I've seen a face
My eyes are shut but I can see
The void between you and me
And I feel and I feel like I'm going insane

[Pre-Chorus]
Help me, is anybody there?
(Is anybody there? Is anybody there?)
Save me, I'm running out of air, ooh

[Chorus]
Calling out mayday
Calling out mayday

[Bridge]
Far from the sun
Beyond stars I hear their song
They're coming closer
Talking without sound
Calling me home

[Chorus]
Calling out mayday
Calling out mayday

[Outro]
Save me, I'm running out of air
I'm running out of air
I'm running out of air
I'm running out of air
I'm running out of air
I'm running out of air

News:

Our home has changed from the #Dw2-in-game-support channel to the new #Repair-Requests channel.
To avoid people using !repair and pinging everyone in 2 channels we have adjusted !repair to instead redirect to the new channel. The new command to request repairs is !Mechanic.
Additionally #Dw2-in-game-support channel has been renamed to #dw2-fleet-services to avoid confusion with people requesting PG/outfitting advice etc.

Our new SOP Rev 3, Dispatchers SOP, Additional information document etc are also all out and published now, these should stay as the current version for a long while without being updated as I believe they are pretty solid now. Find these pinned in the Fleet Mechanics chat channel. As always please message me if there's any issues, corrections,tweaks etc.

Finally I also got around to updating post #1, let me know if there's anything that needs to be on there that I missed.

o7

Last edited:
It's been a bit quiet here due to the Newsletter covering pretty much all the Fleet Mechanics News and the lack of time I've had to keep this place up to date, however, I have news:

There will be some meet-ups on Saturday 16th March

These will take place in multiple systems/locations. See below for details.

Location Details:
Location 1: STUEMEAE FG-Y D8937 3 A
System map:
lfqKahs.jpg
(Sorry for the FPS counter on the screenshots)
It's an interesting ice planet with red, grey and black patches and it has 5 geological sites as well as ice canyons and ravines:
w7scCUQ.jpg

wJB281K.jpg

WI0pnct.jpg
When I scouted the system Geo Site 1 was aligned with the nearby ringed Gas Giant and had Fumeroles. We will probably pick whichever site has the best view on the day/time:
E3xbhA5.jpg
Location 2: STUEMEAE GG-Y C7556 1 A
Found by Cmdr Phelanka :)
System map:
E9M2Vgb.jpg
A super close rocky planet orbiting a gas giant, it has so so many geological sites and a rather bumpy surface:
vERzo3N.jpg
When I scouted the system Geo Site 27 was aligned with the nearby ringed Gas Giant and was lit by the star. We will pick whichever site has the best view on the day/time:
Azex10O.jpg

How do I get involved?

As the meet-up site may change best way is to meet up in the #Fleet-Mechanics channel and say hello, the meets will probably last an hour or two each although we expect some of us will end up just hanging out there all day.
We will also be on voice in one of the wing channels on the Fleetcomm Discord.

Can I join if I'm not a Mechanic:

Yes, everyone is welcome although we will probably end up having to split into multiple instances!

What will be happening:
Shenanigans with SRVs, probably flying through canyons, general messing around and chatting/chilling out.

Note: Fleetcomm rules of no aerobatics around landed ships applies, all activities like canyon running etc are optional.

What platform and times and who is the meet-up lead:
This following list will be updated as I hear back from others who are helping organise these meet-ups.

PC
11:00 UTC - Location 1 - Alex Brentnall (Cmdr Hull Seal in game) - UPDATE - GEO SITE 1
15:00 UTC - Location 2 - Alex Brentnall (Cmdr Hull Seal in game) - UPDATE - GEO SITE 12
21:00 UTC - Location 1 - Alex Brentnall (Cmdr Hull Seal in game) - UPDATE - GEO SITE 3

XB1
Various throughout the day, same times & locations as PC. Get there and wing people in!

PS4
Various throughout the day, same times & locations as PC. Get there and wing people in!

Last edited:
Hi All,

With the previous competition finished (Winner, Runner-up and Honourable Mention being posted in the last two - and next Newsletter) we're starting the next one!

Mechanic related screnshots. It's a short one to give time for one final one in the home straight to Beagle Point!
This can be anything mechanic related, meet-ups, beachheads, repairs, training etc.

Rules:
  • This competition will close for entries at 20:00 UTC on the 3rd May
  • Multiple entries can be submitted and will be judged but be thoughtful of the reviewers! If we feel anyone has abused this we reserve the right to randomly select a sample from their submissions ignoring the rest. If you take a lot of screenshots the advice is to pick your favorite few.
  • Submissions must be of mechanic activities, meet-ups, shennanigans, repair operations, beachheads, training missions etc.
  • A small caption (20 words max) is allowed and will be taken into account, however, in some cases the image will speak for itself.
  • Graphics mods to the game are acceptable.
  • Image editing is allowed to a degree, however, it needs to be more screenshot than edited. No graphical novel speech bubbles or psychedelic edits, it needs to look like a screenshot still although we won't say no if you've tweaked a few sliders.
  • Our decision is final, yes it's a bit subjective but this is also a bit of fun we are doing on the side of the Mechanics role so please don't take it personally if we don't pick you.
  • Submit to AlexBrentnall via Private Message either on Discord or here on the Forums with the image or a link to the image. Feel free to publicise the image, it doesn't need to be a secret submission.
  • Anyone that can see the Fleetcomm Mechanics organisation team chat is not allowed to win but is welcome to join in!
  • Winners will be announced when we've had time to read and decide them. Ideally within a week or two but no promises, we've no idea how many entries to expect!
  • Winners Prize - In game item of your choice from the store (paintjob/shipkit/customisation etc) and as with the previous competition the winner and ones we like the best will be in the DW2 newsletter!

Brace yourself for a lot of typing but this is the only end of DW2 post I’m going to make so bear with me!

It’s been a nearly a year and a half since I was first approached by the DW2 organisers to join the team and run the Fleet Mechanics side of things and more has happened since then than I can possibly imagine or put into words.

The basic infrastructure of who the mechanics were and how everything would run was setup well in advance of the DW2 departure, here I have my first thank-you to the Fuel Rats for the words of advice, guidance and all around general support. Specifically CrunchyBaton and Dystopia, without whom the whole thing would probably have been a pretty spectacular mess at the start! Crunchy also ran our statistics page throughout DW2 and dealt with the spreadsheets singlehandedly.

The organisational team were joined by some awesome leads for XB1 and PS4 by way of Adanmoth and RepairmanPatch. I have to say for better or worse I had little to no involvement with any of the console organisation and heard some good feedback from how each of the leads were managing the particular nuances and difficulties that their platforms threw up. This brings me into my second thank-you to those two, I don’t have very much experience in the way of Elite on consoles so having the support there was invaluable.

As the departure date got closer the roster signups picked up rapidly, at one point another one of the organisers informed me that the number of roster signups with the Fleet Mechanic Role was surpassing the 1000 mark! What started as a rather simple repair service exercise rapidly became rather stressful wondering if everything would work, if people would like/hate the system we had put together, if there would be enough cases for the number of signups etc. The total number of signups eventually totalled 1,909 which was a good 14% of the overall fleet composition! Yes I was rather tense and stressed in the early days of DW2 J

As the Discord server channels were opened the moment of truth arrived and you were all fantastic. Immediate discussion started on the risks, the route, should we carry decontamination limpets, running drills and all sorts of valuable planning. It was honestly a massive relief to me and I loved being able to just chat about the upcoming adventure and what could/would/should happen. As the chatter in the channel continued a few of the other mechanics were joking about having a nickname, various suggestions were thrown in and then someone mentioned “sealing hulls”, cue Cmdr Freyar who promptly suggested “Hull Seals”, with an arf it was decided and the name stuck. Concept art, logos, images, emotes and other amazing artworks appeared from the likes of Tromador, Valen Zendaris, Drebin Omega and West-Tek. Cmdr Freyar was also the one who put the Rev 1 Mechanic Process into the awesome looking flowchart that has been put onto many peoples walls throughout the expedition. The quality of the artwork gained a fair bit of attention in the Elite community got the Fleet Mechanics role the visibility it needed amongst both DW2 and the wider Elite community. West-Tek named our seal mascot “Halpy” and we were set!
Again I feel this was an element essential to our success so this is my third thank-you, to all of you in the early days for your enthusiasm, your epic artwork and ideas and all the effort that went into getting the ship off the ground. Additionally cmdr Arlo Mcconaughey coined the phrase “Seal Team Fix” which I have to say is simply spectacular :D

On the organisational front I have more thank-yous than I can possibly iterate. We received an insane amount of support from the Discord mod team, special mention to Fenrishi who sorted out the bot side of things with roles, commands, permissions and so much more. He was the mod hero the team needed! Also a mention to Valen Zendaris, Neotron, Orciencor and Sajime Chent-Shi who were with the mechanics all the way along the expedition, not always for the best of reasons, however, they were instrumental in keeping our channels a pleasant place to be and keeping the mechanics running.

From a direct mechanics organisational front I again have many people to thank Pool Noodle (Noodle-Impasta), Drebin Omega, Rixxan and Arctoduss joined the team at various stages. Towards the end of the expedition many of you know that I was hit with a deluge of IRL issues to the point where I am still at Explorers Anchorage and was unable to get online for days at a time. The names I’ve listed so far were the ones that seamlessly picked up the slack and everything I’d had to drop and between themselves ran things for the last 3ish weeks of the expedition.
Also to Danger-Dan and Polish Dan of the DW2 miners who became our Code Black experts and liaisons helping us in the most dire repair situations and tipping the balance very much towards getting successful cases.

I would also like to put a celebrity thank-you in to Keni Drunken Wolf who I think rather took to the Fleet Mechanics as a group and featured us several times on Distant Radio, it was a pleasure to have you along especially with some of our more interesting repair operations! Also a quick shout to Charlie Hall from Polygon who has been with the expedition flying along to get a first hand perspective and put together a great article on the Hull Seals!

Just two thank-yous left as this already puts most Oscar speeches to shame.
The first is to those of you that have gone beyond and are now in the process of turning the Hull Seals into a galaxy wide repair service, having been involved with some of the discussions and having started the Fleet Mechanics side of things I can honestly say I know the level of organisational and administrative work that is going into doing that and I honestly cannot think of anything more awesome. I’m sure some of the members of that group will have words soon on what will happen with all that.

My final thank-you is to all of you, the mechanics/seals/Miners who have participated and made this a real thing rather than a few concepts and empty discord channels. I knew from WP2 that we would have no problems, watching you guys handle the flood of repair requests at “The View” was sensational and I wish I could re-live that time watching as case after case got handled professionally and efficiently. Remember this was day 2 of the expedition and I have to say the response you all gave was not something I had expected, I also hadn’t anticipated anticipated 7 seals flying 26,000ly to a repair case within the first weeks, or the SRV lift of a streamer out a canyon. You guys and girls all made it a ton easier for me and that first week gave me so much confidence in you all going forwards.
In total we have completed 761 cases throughout DW2 totalling 32,026 percentage points of hull repaired, and those numbers have been going up since we reached Beagle Point. Many code Blacks were completed, again more than I anticipated. You all jumped in, optimised the processes and helped us build up our expertise. Due to the admin difficulties we got through 5 revisions of our operating procedures and as a result you have contributed to our success rate of 99.10%

Overall there are people that wouldn’t have made it without us and for that we can be very proud, I myself am very proud of all of you. I’ve had the pleasure of speaking to many of you over discord and meeting a bunch of you in game and I hope to see you in the future wherever or whenever that may be. I sincerely hope that you have got as much enjoyment out of participating in DW2 as I have and I hope you can head back to Sol with a few new friends, or new experiences and be glad that you joined the expedition. I know I’d do it all again in a heartbeat.

Thank you.

Stay tuned for the galaxy wide launch of the Hull Seals.

Last edited:
A big thank you to you Alex. It was your repair service thread from late 2017? that got the ball rolling with the whole fleet mechanics idea, and was something tailor made for DW2 when it came around. Ideas like that often grow into big things, and now the community have the fantastic Hull Seals that will no doubt go on to be a mainstay for many events and expeditions to come. (y)

Thanks again for being one of the early team members, and for helping to lay the foundations for the mechanics role on DW2. o7 :)

You will always be a part of the seals you helped create Alex. The amount of work you did ahead of the launch, and then afterwards, is what enabled us to be as good as we have been.

We greatly appreciate the mods and admins in FleetComm who put up with us in the early days during our sealnanagains that went on, and also helped us to not only do the job that was created, but build and improve our system as the expedition progressed.

And all the rats that helped us need a special thanks, you Alex, Dystopia, Crunchy, Rex, and many many more, including the ones who are now “Otters”. (Fuel Rat + Seal 😉)

All the Mechanics that signed up too deserve a special mention, as all of you had valuable input and taught us things, about the game, about the job, and about ourselves. Especially he mechanics groups that were doing something similar before, but not on the scale of players that this became. Special thanks to Sanctuary and the Corgis, as your suggestions, input, and feedback was invaluable.

As you mentioned Alex, the miners have been an invaluable source of knowledge and guidance. The iMU, Rock Rats, Prospectors, Ore Core, and many others all contributed to our growth.

And we can’t leave out all the truckers, carrying limpets to refill us once we were not near stations, and also providing info on game mechanics and various tips and tricks.

We also received answers to questions and advice from many groups. The Galactic Academy, Privateers Alliance, EDCD, Sovereignty, Convergence, AXI, Iridium Wing, Distantt Radio, CCN, DSN, G-Nation, the Kolony, Obsidian Ant’s community, as well as many others!

And we can’t forget all the streamers of which there are way to many for me to try to list out. Some of you streamed as seals, others streamed as clients, and others mentioned us, or discussed us in your streams. Thank you.

Again thanks to Charlie Hall from Polygon for multiple articles mentioning the seals. As well as the many reddit and blog posts, Facebook messages, Tweets, and other mentions all across the web.

Lastly, a special thanks to all those that kept us busy with repairs. No I’m not poking fun, I’m serious. With out you, the seals would not have been needed... which some may say would be a good thing since we are a rather crazy bunch. 😄 But if not for you, we wouldn’t be trying to continue this group as a galaxy wide service. So thank you to all our clients! You made this possible!

Our website is still under construction... HullSeals.space but stop by the FleetComm discord, to chat, ask questions, or request repairs until we get that system up and running!

Last edited:
I originally put on the signup sheet I wanted to be a Fuel Rat but wound up falling in with the Seals instead. It definitely was the highlight of the expedition for me, being part of that group, chatting with all the colorful characters in the Discord channel, and actually helping people out. Thanks to you and all the other organizers for the hard work.

Top Bottom