Distant Worlds II Event Fleet Mechanics

Link:

Distant worlds 2
fleetmechanic.gif
Fleet Mechanics

What are the Fleet Mechanics, also who are the Hull Seals?

The Fleet Mechanics is one of the roles that you can join as part of the Distant Worlds 2 expedition. Our primary aim is to keep the fleet repaired throughout the expedition and do our best to make sure everyone makes it back home. We operate on all platforms 24/7.
The Hull Seals are one and the same. This is the nickname that the group itself has come up with and it's stuck! Go Seal Team Fix!

I need repairs, where do I go?

Head to the Fleetcomm Discord and find our Repair Requests channel there, type !Mechanic and our dispatcher will be right with you to get your details and send a Mechanic your way.

I want to help out, how do I join up?

DW2 has closed, we are transitioning to become "The Hull Seals", a standalone galaxy wide repair service. Expect news soon on whats going on there!

I have more questions, who do I talk to?

There are 3 points of contacts, one per platform:
Alexbrentnall – Overall Lead and PC Lead
Repairman Patch – PS4 Lead
Adanmoth – XB1 Lead

I have questions, suggestions or need to speak with someone?

If it’s an open question/idea then this thread is ideal. Once the server is opened the Discord channel would also be appropriate.
For anything else drop me a message here on the Forums or Reddit or Discord and I will respond as soon as I am able.

Latest News in reverse order:

DR Kaii has found an awesome theme song: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/452349-Fleet-Mechanics?p=7362798&viewfull=1#post7362798

We've completed an unconventional Rescue: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/ahx6cw Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/ahx6cw/i_fell_into_a_canyon_in_my_srv_couldnt_find_a_way/

Competition 1 is live: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/452349-Fleet-Mechanics?p=7345724&viewfull=1#post7345724

We got a feature in Polygon: https://www.polygon.com/features/2019/1/18/18187303/elite-dangerous-distant-worlds-2-the-view-dw2

We have an artwork thread: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/471282-Fleet-Mechanics-Hull-Seals-Artwork-Repository

Last edited:
Might be worth putting in some of our experience on DECE here. Generally repairs would be done at basecamps as that is where bad landings usually happened. I may or may not know of this...
At mass jumps we would scan everyone and top up those who seemed a little low. This can be a surprise to the receiver, but hey ho!
If a problem happened elsewhere a call on the discord channel was usually enough. As noted before, repairs are not time critical so a bit of careful flying should get you where you need to go

Taz

I'll be bringing a small repair limpet controller. Mainly for myself but of course I'll help out any commander in need.

The reason I didn't sign up as a fleet mechanic and I'm only bringing a 1D controller, is that there will be A LOT of ships with repair capabilities.
On my last expedition commanders were itching for any excuse to use them for some reason. Launching them at meetups if they see the slightest hull damage on another ship, even without being asked.
When someone at a meetup would ask for repairs, there would be three limpets launched before I could even power mine on.
So you can see that it just doesn't make sense to have too many mechanics. Of course not everyone needs them but even a 1:2 ratio is overkill

Still, better safe than sorry, so I'll have repair and fuel limpet controllers, just in case.

Last edited:
Not signed up as a Mechanic myself either, but I will also have repair capability on the PS4 side. Dinkly little 1D controller but it'll be available if needed.

I'm going to suggest we use ship ID's in some way to identify ourselves as fleet mechanics. That way other CMDRs could message us individually to request repair, rather than paging LOCAL and getting spammed by limpets as a result. We've only got 6 characters, so if it were FM and our roster number (FM2417 in my case), that would work, but there may be other schemes that would be more obvious.

I'm going to suggest we use ship ID's in some way to identify ourselves as fleet mechanics. That way other CMDRs could message us individually to request repair, rather than paging LOCAL and getting spammed by limpets as a result. We've only got 6 characters, so if it were FM and our roster number (FM2417 in my case), that would work, but there may be other schemes that would be more obvious.
Ship ID is already set on the Fleet Roster.
Look yourself up here https://dw2expedition.wixsite.com/home/official-fleet-roster
You'll see a Ship ID already assigned to you. (0H4-DW) Most pilots will already be using that ID.

There's already a system in place, similar to the fuel rats, to alert and dispatch mechanics as needed so you only get one responder and not spammed by limptets.
Similar to the fuel rats.

However, I'm sure there will still be those players itching to use a limpet and watching for any incoming ship at less than 100% hull.
Personally, I prefer not to be repaired unless I ask.

Last edited:
Just signed up as fleet mechanic. I'll be playing in Open.

I'm considering squadron red paintjob, is there a dress code ? :)

/me still thinks there needs to be a actual high-viz paintjob, with the proper yellows and oranges, and retroreflective accents. I would buy.

/me still thinks there needs to be a actual high-viz paintjob, with the proper yellows and oranges, and retroreflective accents. I would buy.
I'm going to put on the Galnet paintjob on my Astrokynigos.

1E3AE07898B6E03487BADBC8DE00646859642FB4

It does 72 LY fully tanked (64 T), no cargo. 78 unladen. Because of the big tank, I can fly 550 LY without refueling. Got fuel and repair limpets. So I think I'm good for maintenance. Also an old mining laser if someone needs to have help getting materials from some asteroids.

Last edited:
There's already a system in place, similar to the fuel rats, to alert and dispatch mechanics as needed so you only get one responder and not spammed by limptets.
Similar to the fuel rats.

News to me. As a signed up mechanic, can you please point me in the direction of how I join this system?

O7

News to me. As a signed up mechanic, can you please point me in the direction of how I join this system?

O7

Full details coming very shortly (I promise) but the long and short of it is we will be dispatching/answering repair requests via a discord channel in the Fleetcomm Discord. There's a few other bits we may use as not everyone on consoles have access to Discord but the primary method everyone will be pointed to is that channel.

Full details coming very shortly (I promise) but the long and short of it is we will be dispatching/answering repair requests via a discord channel in the Fleetcomm Discord. There's a few other bits we may use as not everyone on consoles have access to Discord but the primary method everyone will be pointed to is that channel.

Great stuff. Thanks Alex. Thought I'd missed the announcement!

Happy new year all.

Top Bottom