For any fans of DCS World...

Its better to use non steam DCS imo - you can play with beta modules and DCS 2.0 engine. Also - Steam keys will work with both versions, so you can take advantages from both ED and Steam sales. If you only fly Steam version, modules purchased from ED wont work.

Wheww. The Gazelle is a very unforgiving aircraft.
I've only had it one day, so I'm still new to it. Nevertheless it's a flighty (if you'll excuse the pun) little bird, and I spent the entire time flying going "Variometer, Speedometer, Horizon, Compass, Variometer, Speedometer, Horizon, Compass, Variometer, Speedometer, Horizon, Compass, Variometer, Speedometer, Horizon, Compass" :D

But, I'm impressed with myself, I've now memorised the process of getting the bird started and I can get it off the ground within a couple of minutes.

I even did the "rescue the poor lost soldier" mission, and felt very pleased with myself for performing two takeoffs, and more importantly, two successful landings!
Even if they were both a bit "thumpy". Poor lost soldier is now back home :D.

Prepar3D-2016-jun-10-082.jpg

On ED store you can buy modules in early beta, and play improved newer version of the engine DCS 2.0 already. Steam has only finished modules and older DCS 1.5 engine.

- - - Updated - - -

Before DCS World platform those planes were sold as a stand alone study sims (A-10C and Kamove helicopter for example), and they still are pretty much entire sims that you can purchase with missions, manuals and so on. Now they just run on a single engine called DCS World. The price is high because it takes around 3-5 years to make this level of plane/helo, plus costs of licensing with real world manufacturer. Similar addons for FSX/Prepare 3d like 777 airliner can costs up to 100 bucks.

My expenses regarding FSX/prepare3d are in the $3000 USD range, it's actually very easy to spend a lot of money on flight SIMS :D
IL-2 alone is more than $300USD as far as I remember.

Last edited:
thanks so many versions..do I get the flaming cliffs..is that best,, I had the original Lockon and the 1st Flaming cliffs
I have just DL the demo,,

I think Ill get the rest..Flaming cliffs offers the most atm correct?

so A10c stand alone or
Flaming cliffs

Last edited:
Flaming Cliffs it's a pretty great deal, but remember that FC planes are simpler than other modules - no clickable cockpits and they have simplified systems. Still great fun to fly, they upgrading FC flightmodel to higher level.
On the other hand A-10C is the most complicated DCS plane in my opinion, so if you want real challenge in learning all the systems its a good choice.

Flaming Cliffs it's a pretty great deal, but remember that FC planes are simpler than other modules - no clickable cockpits and they have simplified systems. Still great fun to fly, they upgrading FC flightmodel to higher level.
On the other hand A-10C is the most complicated DCS plane in my opinion, so if you want real challenge in learning all the systems its a good choice.

- What do you mean by FC planes? I just watched the Flaming Cliffs 3 trailer and it looks good. Seems like fun. So buy it or not? Where's the difference between A10C and flaming cliffs??? Model detail and missions or what? Is the A10 Flaming Cliffs not as detailed as the standalone or anything else A10 your can buy?

- What's the best thing to buy for DCS World at the moment?

- What's DCS 2.0? Better engine? Do you need new DLCs then? Just watched a Newada trailer

I'm a newbee DCS World gamer. Just started but want to get a bit deeper into the game.

Last edited:
Flaming Cliffs is less hardcore, you don't have a clickable cockpit and some advanced functionality like in other the dcs planes. Starting the planes for example only requires pressing a few buttons. FC is perfect if you are starting your adventure with DCS.
DCS 2.0 is the newer engine but the only map that works with it at the moment is payware Nevada. But every module for 1.5 that you buy will be up[graded to 2.0 eventually along with the Caucasus demo map.

Last edited:
Flaming Cliffs is less hardcore, you don't have a clickable cockpit and some advanced functionality like in other the dcs planes. Starting the planes for example only requires pressing a few buttons. FC is perfect if you are starting your adventure with DCS.
DCS 2.0 is the newer engine but the only map that works with it at the moment is payware Nevada. But every module for 1.5 that you buy will be up[graded to 2.0 eventually along with the Caucasus demo map.

Ok, thanks!

What "package" would you recommend? I would like to have a pack consisting of high detailed all clickable planes (for pro sim fans including an F15 or F16 an A10 or something like that) and at least 1 helicopter - that package should come along with some cool missions.

-and if I want to make sure that I can play online with people, what's the most prefered "package" at the moment?

I love flight sims and I especially love to play it with the RIFT. it's super cool.

Last edited:
My favourite DCS aircraft is the Ka-50. It's a helicopter, but with a stability augmentation system that makes it fairly easy to fly once you get the hang of how the stability system works.
It has some very complex systems as it's a single seat attack helicopter.
The chopper has an autopilot and FMS that is almost as complex as the ones that you get in the FSX airliner add-ons.

As an owner of the warthog HOTAS I kinda want to use to fly and fight in the aircraft that spawned it...but I can't justify spending £20, on a sale none the less, to be able to fly a single plane in a simulator I'd probably get bored of once I'd mastered the flight controls.

Over £30 standard price? Get off it.

As an owner of the warthog HOTAS I kinda want to use to fly and fight in the aircraft that spawned it...but I can't justify spending £20, on a sale none the less, to be able to fly a single plane in a simulator I'd probably get bored of once I'd mastered the flight controls.

Over £30 standard price? Get off it.

If you never did any flight sims before, it will make you scream of frustration when you still sit in the cockpit and your plane is still on the ground after one hour :D
The A-10 is a very forgiving airplane, but it is also as close to reality as you can get it in a "consumer" simulator.

If you never did any flight sims before, it will make you scream of frustration when you still sit in the cockpit and your plane is still on the ground after one hour :D
The A-10 is a very forgiving airplane, but it is also as close to reality as you can get it in a "consumer" simulator.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of it...just think £20 on sale for a single plane in a series of them they do is pushing it ;)

Was semi-tempted but as it happens, the decision was finalised by the bit of me that says I already dedicate too much time to games. Picking up another game that could be seen as a part-time job is probably not the best idea.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of it...just think £20 on sale for a single plane in a series of them they do is pushing it ;)

Was semi-tempted but as it happens, the decision was finalised by the bit of me that says I already dedicate too much time to games. Picking up another game that could be seen as a part-time job is probably not the best idea.

As I understood, each plane comes with a mission pack. But you're right, another full time job game isn't the best idea. ;-)

The DCS planes are absolutely worth the price, most of them are as true simulators as it can get (with simplified versions to be found in the Flaming Cliffs line). Be prepared for hours of reading manuals and compiling checklists to even perform a ramp start, for the A-10C, it takes about 15 mins to bring all the systems online before you can even think about taking off. They simulate nearly every system and each an every button. The A-10C simulator was originally developed for the US Army for training procedures. Definitely not for everyone, and very easy to get frustrated in the process, but I love them (got A-10C, Ka-50 and FC3), even if I rarely make it back home - and then, 15 mins cold start again ;-)

The pros and cons of the docking computer seem utterly pale by comparison. Consequentially, in ED it's DC all the time for me.

[noob]

Just got myself DCS World 2.0 with Nevada map (currently I only have FC3 and those free 2 planes).
This game is gorgeous when it comes to realism, immersion and graphics.
Tried it with my Rift on and X52 HOTAS. It's like sitting in a real cockpit. Sitting in P51, looking left and right at the wings, almost as if you can reach them. The plane feels really "there".
However, the performance in Rift is ABYSMAL. I wrote about it on their forums, but the game suffers from some serious performance bugs, like, clouds seem to annihilate FPS. Doesn't matter if you achieved 90fps, if there's a cloud in the sky, it drops to 45 or below. Then, not being able to run above 1.3 SS without sacrificing true 90fps, running at mostly low settings, etc.
I hope they work on it a bit, it really cries out for some optimization.

Last edited:
Got myself a shiny new F-15 and a dirty little Gazelle :)

They're my first two paid DLC for DCS, so I'm still setting up all my bindings - and people complain about having to set bindings in Elite :D

I'd recommend buying Flaming Cliffs and save the other modules for later. Not as complex but complex enough. Master the F-15 avionics and you have a great fighter to fly and other great planes in FC. Heck just download the free game and master the SU-25T and the TF-51D Mustang.

I've spent way more on other modules than I should have considering the time I've put into them.

Top Bottom