Forced "submission" to interdiction?

I'm pretty new, so maybe this has been posted previously. I don't know. If it has, I apologize. What I'm referring to in the title, for the record, is not forced interdiction- as in failing to evade an interdiction attempt, thereby taking damage and being burdened with an extended FSD cooldown. What I mean is that somehow I'm submitting to interdiction without actually reducing my speed to zero, or at all. I'm not fantastic at combat just yet, and I perhaps foolishly take well-paying "Elite" level jobs, so, despite my own rating of "Mostly Harmless," the pirates I encounter are almost always ranked "Master," "Dangerous," and "Deadly." They're also usually cruising around in Anacondas or better, so I'm severely outmatched in my unfinished Python. Due to these factors, I get blown apart in seconds if I willingly submit to interdiction, well before I can manage to shift to safety. My go-to tactic then is to evade during interdiction, which is, as I'm sure you all know, laughably easy. So I'm getting a little bit miffed that one out of every thirty or so of these I "submit" to interdiction when I've done no such thing. I tried to find if maybe enemies in the game have a way of forcing your speed to zero, thus causing you to "submit," but I've been unable to find anything of the sort. I'm getting weary of dishing out millions in insurance costs and fines from failed contracts. Can anyone explain what's going on?

1. What control method are you using? Is there a chance that your throttle is giving spurious / sporadic zero / reverse signals? Could you be knocking the "X" key which is 0 throttle?

2. The technique in survival via submitting is to have 4 pips to engines (2 to SYS) and BOOST - BOOST - BOOST. Over 3km little damage is received (if any) over 5.3Km no mlf delay. Also note that High-Wake (hyperjump) is not subject to a vessel's mass-lock-factor inhibition so if you have another system plotted then select "next system in route" (well worth having that binding set) and engage H-Jump.

evasion against npc should be easy using para method...…………….
personally the only way I loose the tunnel game in my python against an npc is if I choose too
evasion against a cmdr with a light weight ship an dirty drives may be something else entirely
(sometimes unfortunately there is always a bigger fish or two so to speak)
if usIng VA that could mis hear too

Last edited:
Python has a base top speed of 230, boost speed of 300,
Cobra3 has a base top speed of 280, boost speed of 400,
You can find everything you need to "kit" out a Cobra3 in the Sol system to be able to run from almost anything you can't fight.
Cobra3 available at the Gorbachev station and various other module upgrades at the other stations in the same Sol system.

In particular, you want to upgrade to the 4A power plant and the 3A power distributor. You'll be able to rapidly "multiple boost" away from interdictors suffering little to no damage. You won't have to wait for the Engine pips to reach the top either... Usually, when I'm cruising "defensive" (not looking for a fight or deliberately avoiding one) I cruise with 4 pips engines just to be ready for rapid boosting if I'm interdicted

In fact, depending on the situation, I've deliberately submitted just so they end up behind me (as they always do in an interdiction), then start boosting immediately, while waiting for the Frame Shift Drive to cool down for SuperCruise reentry. This is probably only good against NPCs or non-persistent NPCs. (I had one follow me thru a half dozen cycles of this one time.. surprised the hell out of me) :) but not once did he get anywhere close to damaging me.

After you've improved your skills and weapons, you can pick your fight or flight situations.

Oh,btw, here's a listing of the base stats if you haven't seen it.

Last edited:
The only reason I can think of is what Para already said - there could be some control binding that you hadn't known about but are accidentally pressing, also if you have a joystick with a throttle slider on it that is bound to throttle by default, that could also randomly take over (and if it's at 'zero' it would then cause you to submit). I have a T.16000M Thrustmaster with a small throttle slider on it, I have assigned this to scanner zoom and various other functions depending on what I'm doing in the game, I've made sure it is not assigned to throttle in any of the bindings as I want my main throttle peripheral to control that.

You might want to invest in shield boosters to give yourself a bit more protection while escaping, or to protect against smaller ships which you probably won't be able to get away from or fight as easily in a Python.

Happy hunting!

It could be that you have a button/key bound to "0% throttle" and are accidentally pressing it while trying to escape the interdiction attempt. Check your control bindings to make sure nothing is bound to the "0% throttle" setting.
It is also possible that you are not "submitting to interdiction" but are simply being beaten and successfully interdicted.
If you submit to interdiction, your FSD module will cool down sufficiently to return to supercruise in only 12 seconds, as compared to the 40 seconds it takes for the FSD to cool down when successfully interdicted.
If it is taking longer than 12 seconds for your FSD module to cool down when interdicted (or "submitting" to interdiction) then you did not submit, you were beaten and I would suggest learning how to escape from successful interdictions. o7

Last edited:
1. What control method are you using? Is there a chance that your throttle is giving spurious / sporadic zero / reverse signals? Could you be knocking the "X" key which is 0 throttle?

2. The technique in survival via submitting is to have 4 pips to engines (2 to SYS) and BOOST - BOOST - BOOST. Over 3km little damage is received (if any) over 5.3Km no mlf delay. Also note that High-Wake (hyperjump) is not subject to a vessel's mass-lock-factor inhibition so if you have another system plotted then select "next system in route" (well worth having that binding set) and engage H-Jump.
Could be but I myself have been subject, only once, to interdiction with immediate FSD loss. Maybe a glitch but maybe not if you're too good at avoiding (I am reminded of ESO where if you die in Citidel you go all the way back to the beginning; the GAME called it exciting, I called it AGGRAVATING).

"... rapidly "multiple boost" away from interdictors ... This is probably only good against NPCs or non-persistent NPCs".

Depending on the CMDR and the ship this works against human CMDRs too.
A couple of weeks ago I wanted to go to Shinrarta Dezhra to pick up another Corvette. I flew a Cobra Mk. III because I wanted to go in OPEN mode.
Between the star and Jameson Memorial station I was successfully interdicted four times by a team of human gankers in Challengers and Crusaders. Luckily, this C3 boosts a bit over 600 m/sec and they simply could not keep up as four times I boosted away and re-entered supercruise. o7

Depending on the CMDR and the ship this works against human CMDRs too.
A couple of weeks ago I wanted to go to Shinrarta Dezhra to pick up another Corvette. I flew a Cobra Mk. III because I wanted to go in OPEN mode.
Between the star and Jameson Memorial station I was successfully interdicted four times by a team of human gankers in Challengers and Crusaders. Luckily, this C3 boosts a bit over 600 m/sec and they simply could not keep up as four times I boosted away and re-entered supercruise. o7

Interesting. What modules did you improve (and how), to get 600 Boost?

I'm currently using keyboard and mouse, as I've been having trouble using my joystick (currently getting assistance with that). I'm definitely not accidentally knocking the X key, or the S key, and there are no other keys bound to 0 or reduce throttle. I completely forgot about the boost ability, so thanks for reminding me. I'll have to give that a shot next time I "submit." As for H-Jump, this never happens when I'm on my way to another system, as I've only ever encountered pirates upon reaching my destination.

It could be that you have a button/key bound to "0% throttle" and are accidentally pressing it while trying to escape the interdiction attempt. Check your control bindings to make sure nothing is bound to the "0% throttle" setting.
It is also possible that you are not "submitting to interdiction" but are simply being beaten and successfully interdicted.
If you submit to interdiction, your FSD module will cool down sufficiently to return to supercruise in only 12 seconds, as compared to the 40 seconds it takes for the FSD to cool down when successfully interdicted.
If it is taking longer than 12 seconds for your FSD module to cool down when interdicted (or "submitting" to interdiction) then you did not submit, you were beaten and I would suggest learning how to escape from successful interdictions. o7
I've checked my bindings to make sure I'm all good there, and I am. So I'm definitely not accidentally submitting. I'm also definitely not getting beaten. Usually when this happens it happens almost immediately, as in within about .5 to 1.5 seconds, and my drive cooldown is always normal.

Do you have supercruise assist installed? I don't know if it's that module but I'm frequently finding myself leaving an FSD jump and landing at the star with throttle at 0. There's a message about throttle disengaging or something but from no action of mine and I've only started seeing it lately. I've been switching between ships and not all have that module so I can't be sure.

Do you have supercruise assist installed? I don't know if it's that module but I'm frequently finding myself leaving an FSD jump and landing at the star with throttle at 0. There's a message about throttle disengaging or something but from no action of mine and I've only started seeing it lately. I've been switching between ships and not all have that module so I can't be sure.
I do have supercruise assist installed. It could be that, but I don't see why it would be the culprit here. More often than not, I'm not actively using assist when the issue occurs.

I do have supercruise assist installed. It could be that, but I don't see why it would be the culprit here. More often than not, I'm not actively using assist when the issue occurs.

I don't see why it would be the culprit either but I don't use it and find the same thing started happening. I can't say "yes this is why" but disabling it should give you the answer soon enough!

A message? You mean this?

Hyp Dethrottle.jpg

Hyperspace dethrottle is designed to set the throttle to zero when you drop out of a jump. It keeps you from flying into the sun. It's pretty easy to change this setting:

Right panel, Ship tab, FA settings.jpg

You'll find it on the right side of the view when you open the right panel, choose the Ship tab and the Flight Assist page. Cheers...

A message? You mean this?

View attachment 158015

Hyperspace dethrottle is designed to set the throttle to zero when you drop out of a jump. It keeps you from flying into the sun. It's pretty easy to change this setting:

View attachment 158016

You'll find it on the right side of the view when you open the right panel, choose the Ship tab and the Flight Assist page. Cheers...
That's the fella! Yeah, I've been gone for a few years so this and many other things are new to me. Thanks.

There's no point in trying to fight an NPC that interdicts you unless you're doing a combat mission. A Python can always get away from an NPC Anaconda because of the difference in speed. One boost in the Python and you're at a range where the Anaconda's weapons can't do any damage.

Whether you submit or lose the mini game, if you get dragged out of supercruise by an NPC, take my advice and never fight it. All it does is waste time that could be used to earn money, and it brings the risk that you could lose your ship, your cargo, your missions or all three. If you win, all you get is a small amount of bounty money. It's simply not worth it. Just run away and go back to your business. If you want combat, get yourself a combat ship and go looking for it.

There's no point in trying to fight an NPC that interdicts you unless you're doing a combat mission...

Ahh, but the fun of taking out the presumptuous pirate is hard to beat. Here's some advice for those who would like to try this:
Try this in a "high security" system. Help will show up almost immediately - the local security forces will fight with you against the pirate. This is a lot of fun and - perhaps more importantly - one of the safer ways to learn some of the feel, the mechanics of flight maneuvering, control of your ship, etc. If you're up against a formidable opponent (such as Cobra vs Anaconda), just boost out of range and return when the ship's shields have been taken down.

Just carry a little "bait" cargo. You will experience interdiction attempts by NPCs. You can choose your battles too. It's not difficult to "select" or scan your interdictor during the attempt (with useful keybindings). This tells you much that you need to know to decide whether to submit or evade.

This works pretty well in medium security systems too; just be aware that help will not arrive nearly as quickly; you'll have to hold your own for a bit (one way or another). The nice thing about being in a ship such as a Cobra Mk III is that if things don't go well, you can outrun many other ships to get away from the situation almost at will. The timing and assessment of this is a valuable skill to learn as well.
Happy travels!

Last edited:
I can normally win the interdiction mini-game vs. npc pirates and if I lose then I can usually boost and get away. I mention this to demonstrate that I have some experience at it and do not think I am making a rookie mistake but sometimes the interdiction mini-game ends just after it begins. I'd say about what the OP says, half a second to a second and a half after it begins, it claims I've submitted. As best as I can tell, I'm not doing anything to submit. And if I was, I would think I would be doing it every time.

I don't think I'm throttling down.
VA log doesn't show that it is throttling down.
The interdiction mini-game is ending before I can begin playing it.

DanteDeadwood, did you ever figure out what was causing this?

If I set my throttle to zero, engage supercruise assist and then get interdicted, what will happen?

Last edited:
Top Bottom