Frontier don't even honour their own words!!! (Angry about VR)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
As Zac has just confirmed.

We're not saying it's never coming, just that it's not being worked on at the moment and there are no immediate plans to.

I keep mentioning this, only because it amuses me greatly. But this post full of assumption and guesswork? It's all in response to NO change.

No change in the VR situation.

Not a thing. Same today as a week ago.

It's hilarious. I love this place!
Some humans are very keen on keeping their faith and optimism. What would they do without it?

Other humans look at history and use that to make a qualified, more realistic estimate of the future.

What kind of human do you consider yourself being? :alien:

It's what I said yesterday. I dont even know why he needs to confirm that, Arthur couldn't have been clearer: they are currently 100% focussed on fixing the launch and the console release. They don't want to make promises they can't keep, so while things may change in the future all they can confidently say is "currently not'. More features are also coming for sure, but they need to first assess how much time especially lightning/terrain will take. By the end of June they should know more on that front.

Once they know how their resources will be spend they can make more confident predictions about what will and what will not happen. Until then all they know for sure is " currently not".

For the people here who literally said:"we only want them to promise them they will deffo do this after fixing the launch": you don't want honesty, you want Happy News even if they don't know they can do it. There is another space game for that. Last I checked they still pretend to do CR for sure, pinky swear!

I wouldn't rule out that one day in the future we get those flying cars they promised back in the 1950s. However, 70 years later i seems more and more unlikely.

Some humans are very keen on keeping their faith and optimism. What would they do without it?

Other humans look at history and use that to make a qualified, more realistic estimate of the future.

Somr others just don't presume too much. It's possible to just listen to "not now, maybe later." and read that as "not now, maybe later." without feeling either hyped or rage. But it requires acknowledging uncertainty, which is difficult for some.

It's a shame that such a good piece of kit is provided by a rather dubious company - unfortunately I suspect if it was not supported by such a cash rich enterprise the price would be much more - I do wonder if they have priced it as they have to grab a big chunk of the market (and a big chunk of extra personal data) - but I don't tend to buy products from the Oculus store and I have a 'non-connected' account (in my own name) so I'm guessing if they did switch it off I would just make a new one and reset the headset - but I tend to only use it now for PC based activities.
I still use a non-connected account too. But beginning next year we will have to link that to a Facebook account :(
And yeah, I have some games in the Oculus store. In the end it was the only store to get VR games before Steam got SteamVR :)

Zac's reply: "If you're really good we may be able to give you some good news by Christmas - but man you wouldn't believe how much dooee is flying around here so if you would just let us get on with the rest of it, we'll see what we can do by and by"

Last edited:

We're not saying it's not coming,, it's not being worked on at the moment and there are no immediate plans....
Sorry, but this is pretty much a death knell. It means they will leave Odyssey VR as the screwed up, flatscreen mess it currently is. I just hope when they roll Odyssey out into Horizons they don't screw up Horizons so that I (and many other VR players) can continue to enjoy the game.

When they say there are no immediate plans, this is pretty much what they said for PowerPlay and CQC, both of which are now withering on the vine. I got a moderator warning for posting on the Jurassic forum that we were jealous of their planetary tech, and I got smacked wrists from the forum moderators. I think it is obvious that they've moved most of their internal development elsewhere, and thet the "flagship" product is probably entering it's retirement phase...

Somr others just don't presume too much. It's possible to just listen to "not now, maybe later." and read that as "not now, maybe later." without feeling either hyped or rage. But it requires acknowledging uncertainty, which is difficult for some.
Some people even rely so much on the part of "statistics" that says there is always a minor chance that predictions supported by statistics won't come true, that they decide to cross the road right in front of the "18-wheeler loaded with bridge parts bearing down on the intersection from the cross street at 75 miles per hour". ;)

Deleted member 110222

D

It's almost like that has been what was said all along.

Don't get me wrong. Until it gets back into development proper I do sincerely think the "VR supported" tag on the base game needs adjusting. But aside from that they have been pretty to the point thus far. Just people don't like being told things they do not want to hear.

I keep mentioning this, only because it amuses me greatly. But this post full of assumption and guesswork? It's all in response to NO change.
No, it was confirmed that there will be no VR development for the forseeable future. If there was any assumption and guesswork it would have preceded it, when people were either speculating or hoping that VR development would likely take place once the dust settled on the problems with the Odyessy launch. It's a definitive answer, and even if they are leaving a tiny crack open for something, some day in the future, it is indicative of the fact that outside of critical bugs there appears to be few plans for FDev to devote any meaningful resources to the game - unless you have facts we're unaware of.

But I'm glad it amused you.

persistencedemotivator.jpeg

The third kind, one who would be happy for fdev to burn the whole thing down for the lols.

But as that isn't going to happen, I think my position of laughing at the overwrought often synthetic rage over a game which is often mischaracterised as 'white knighting' is the best one to hold. And coincides with your second human type rather the first :)

We're not saying it's not coming,, it's not being worked on at the moment and there are no immediate plans....
Sorry, but this is pretty much a death knell. It means they will leave Odyssey VR as the screwed up, flatscreen mess it currently is. I just hope when they roll Odyssey out into Horizons they don't screw up Horizons so that I (and many other VR players) can continue to enjoy the game.

When they say there are no immediate plans, this is pretty much what they said for PowerPlay and CQC, both of which are now withering on the vine. I got a moderator warning for posting on the Jurassic forum that we were jealous of their planetary tech, and I got smacked wrists from the forum moderators. I think it is obvious that they've moved most of their internal development elsewhere, and thet the "flagship" product is probably entering it's retirement phase...
Jurassic park game doesn't have planetary tech.

The third kind, one who would be happy for fdev to burn the whole thing down for the lols.

But as that isn't going to happen, I think my position of laughing at the overwrought often synthetic rage over a game which is often mischaracterised as 'white knighting' is the best one to hold. And coincides with your second human type rather the first :)
I guess you would like this band then ;)

("Collapsing New Buildings")

Being concerned about the future of VR in a game that you play (a lot) is neither "overwrought often synthetic rage" nor "white knighting". It is what it is. People being concerned about the future of VR in ED, and rightly so. I've played almost solely in VR, but I have tried pancake in Odyssey, because I saw the writing on the wall. It reminds me of playing Wing Commander back in the day, and in that case I'd rather spend my time on something else.

So why am I even here? Because I still play ED in VR, and I won't stop that until Brunhild has sung. I see her putting on her costume now.

FDev would be unlikely to so something as stupid as that. If they let it all burn down, it'll be because it's no longer viable, the damage to the game and their reputation would be too great to reverse without an impossible investment of resources. But I doubt there will be many lols anywhere.

That beyond immediate firefighting there appears to be few plans for the franchise, would point to me that they're likely to step back and accept it's demise quietly. If they cancel the console launch, that would pretty much guarantee that outcome, IMHO.

Being concerned about the future of VR in a game that you play (a lot) is neither "overwrought often synthetic rage" nor "white knighting". It is what it is. People being concerned about the future of VR in ED, and rightly so. I've played almost solely in VR, but I have tried pancake in Odyssey, because I saw the writing on the wall. It reminds me of playing Wing Commander back in the day, and in that case I'd rather spend my time on something else.
You forget that not all are so altruistic, that there are plenty in the community who live by the mantra Schadenfreude ist die besten Freude...

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom