Frontier don't even honour their own words!!! (Angry about VR)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 110222

D
Why should I value your opinion more than OA's opinion? OA has earned my high regard, given using my free will and blessed by the TVA as part of the sacred timeline.

Now the white knights, they are the ones trying to control everyone's thoughts around here.
I'm not saying you should value my opinion. You should value your own.

I think his point regarded how OA's opinion has become increasingly skeptical. Yamiks to be cynical about FDev is kind of a given, you'd probably not even register it, but OA, who would normally be one of the more 'agreeable' content creators turning cynical should probably turn a few heads. It's not a question of valuing his opinion, but valuing your own observation of the change.

Deleted member 110222

D
I think his point regarded how OA's opinion has become increasingly skeptical. Yamiks to be cynical about FDev is kind of a given, you'd probably not even register it, but OA, who would normally be one of the more 'agreeable' content creators turning cynical should probably turn a few heads. It's not a question of valuing his opinion, but valuing your own observation of the change.
Indeed. And I do. Sorry that my observation is one I am okay with.

That is exactly the reason why a gazillion things have been going down the drain lately. That people think they know better by listening to their intuition instead of listening to those who actually know something. From our previous debates I know you know what I mean by that.

You seem to think that all youtubers are equal. That is about as true as "all humans have blonde hair". Youtube is a medium, just like a book or a newspaper. There are some pretty lousy books and newspapers too.

I guess you would like this band then ;)

("Collapsing New Buildings")

Being concerned about the future of VR in a game that you play (a lot) is neither "overwrought often synthetic rage" nor "white knighting". It is what it is. People being concerned about the future of VR in ED, and rightly so. I've played almost solely in VR, but I have tried pancake in Odyssey, because I saw the writing on the wall. It reminds me of playing Wing Commander back in the day, and in that case I'd rather spend my time on something else.

So why am I even here? Because I still play ED in VR, and I won't stop that until Brunhild has sung. I see her putting on her costume now.
Now THAT is a name!

This thread's gonna be spicy 🍿

Edit: i decided to ask CMDR Braben directly (although I doubt it'll go far due to my barely using Twitter)
Source: https://twitter.com/StuartGTuk/status/1404865481673265159
Wow, wouldn't have expected a tweet like that from Stuart.

Things are really not looking bright at the moment.

I feel bad for the current CM team who haven't even been at Frontier at the time most of these "empty promises" were made.

FDev would be unlikely to so something as stupid as that. If they let it all burn down, it'll be because it's no longer viable, the damage to the game and their reputation would be too great to reverse without an impossible investment of resources. But I doubt there will be many lols anywhere.

That beyond immediate firefighting there appears to be few plans for the franchise, would point to me that they're likely to step back and accept it's demise quietly. If they cancel the console launch, that would pretty much guarantee that outcome, IMHO.
They aren't going to cancel the console release. In terms of the future, Arthur has said before the storyline which was tied in to the release (and I suspect features), runs for 2 years or so? I've no doubt fdev have ideas what new content may come in the future, ie after those 2 years.

What we are due to get soon, confirmed by Arthur on the stream yesterday when he popped up at the end to address the VR issue, is info about what is coming with Odyssey that isn't in at the moment. Let them get Odyssey fixed, then whatever other things are part of it, plus the consoles. And then there may be info way in the future. Or not.

I feel bad for the current CM team who haven't even been at Frontier at the time most of these "empty promises" were made.

I clicked the link and read his Tweet, which surprised me as well. Then I followed his @ to David Braben's Twitter, and it seems like Mr. Braben has moved on from Elite. He's now focused on drumming up interest in the latest versions of Planet Coaster and Jurassic World Evolution. That tells me everything I need to know.

They aren't going to cancel the console release. In terms of the future,
Do you have inside information or are you speculating and if the latter, does that mean that when you speculate it's good, while everyone else speculating is bad?
Arthur has said before the storyline which was tied in to the release (and I suspect features), runs for 2 years or so? I've no doubt fdev have ideas what new content may come in the future, ie after those 2 years.
I don't think ED has two years to play with after this fiasco.
What we are due to get soon, confirmed by Arthur on the stream yesterday when he popped up at the end to address the VR issue, is info about what is coming with Odyssey that isn't in at the moment. Let them get Odyssey fixed, then whatever other things are part of it, plus the consoles. And then there may be info way in the future. Or not.
Sure. The parrot is just resting.

Not regarding the CM in particular, but including, I used to believe in people saying "It's my job to do so", but the older I get, that statement makes less sense. You accept a job because you need it, either financially or because you can't live without doing so. In both case you accept the complete package. You might take a job at a lab, spraying perfume into eyes of monkies, because "Someone has to do it", "It's good for my carrier" or "I need to feed my large family", but you also know that spraying perfume into monkey eyes is bad, plain and simple.

So you value the good against the bad and take the job, but it doesn't exactly justify what you do at work from then on. The list of jobs like that is long, which is part of explaining why the World isn't "optimal". The other option of course being that we all start being more altruistic, which sadly goes against our selfish genes.

Looks like he his trying for a Section Eight out of Beige Squadron... :)

Maxwell Klinger would be proud.

At no point did they confirm "On foot - FPS VR post launch"
This is true, but it's about semantics, the moment you modify a statement with a phrase such as "at launch" there is a logical presumption that modifier also means it will be "post launch" as there is no other reason to use the term.

It's my opinion that the reason for their stance on VR is a number of simple and observable notions;

The game engine cannot support acceptable consistent VR performance in Odyssey in space, let alone on foot.

There is no financial incentive to flesh out VR. Elite is 7 years old and buy to play. Odyssey appears to be a barebones minimum viable product hastily shoved out the door to fulfill an obligation, Anthem probably had more dev time than Odyssey, if not then I have no idea what they have been doing all this time other than endless meetings, whiteboards, storyboards and restarts. Everything about Odyssey screams rushed development, stripped out features and sadly the final 'expansion' for Elite.

Had Odyssey been a continuation of the original design concept then we'd have had ship interiors and space legs would have been integrated into the existing gameplay rather than a separate entity sharing server space.

I clicked the link and read his Tweet, which surprised me as well. Then I followed his @ to David Braben's Twitter, and it seems like Mr. Braben has moved on from Elite. He's now focused on drumming up interest in the latest versions of Planet Coaster and Jurassic World Evolution. That tells me everything I need to know.
Nah, he just posts about any of the games when something is happening, new info, releases etc. He posted about EDO recently, now it's dinos announcement, new content for the zoo thingy, etc.

Don't give in to the conspiracies Duck, it's a slippery slope to a dark dark place! ;)

Do you have inside information or are you speculating and if the latter, does that mean that when you speculate it's good, while everyone else speculating is bad?
IMO they aren't going to cancel the console release. (reason CASH)
Who said others speculating is bad? Potentially wrong ...
I don't think ED has two years to play with after this fiasco.
:D
Sure. The parrot is just resting.
Thing is, they have already developed EDO, and completing the console ports wont be a massive expense. Why cancel it now? As for post Odyssey, sure, as I said in my post, there may be info way in the future. Or not. ie there may not be any further development after Odyssey. We will see.

But DOOMED! now is a little silly.

IMO.

Craith

Volunteer Moderator
When the game was announced it was going to be without VR at all, and they changed that in response to the players disappointment. Not long before you bought in December I think.

I'd be careful assuming that the paranoid slights some in the forum attribute to fdev are actually real.

I'd just point out nothing - nothing - has changed re VR since before you bought. It might seem like something has, but, you know, forum drama.
Nothing has changed ... the game was built from the ground for VR, so I expect it to support VR. When Odyssey said no to VR, there was a big outcry among those affected. FDev came around and explained they can't do it for launch, but will provide a way to at least continue playing for the time being.

I haven't bought odyssey, but with LTE I still got it for my main account, and I acutally like it. Even the on foot part. Except that I have to play it on that stopgap solution of a virtual screen, when nearly everything for a tier 1 VR implementation is already there - you can go to external view for VR on foot, but unfortunately you can't interact with anything. Headtracking works as far as I know (might be wrong on that), so decoupling gun and eyes also works. Rendering a working crosshair might be tricky, but if I have to close one eye to shoot straight, I'll do it. or just offset it correctly. So we are really really really close to what I would expect as a MVP of a VR implementation ...

Nausea can be mitigated, all the forced animations that are a problem for on foot are fade to blacks anyway, some people might have trouble with the on foot part, but some people get nausea while playing on a screen. the virtual screen is actually way more discomforting than any VR game I played.

Everytime I land, I get this disembark option, haunting me, telling me that I am not an important player of this game, because Elite is no longer built for VR. My other accounts won't get oddysey - doesn't make much sense to have a second account for coop VR gaming when you can't do it.

No plans is really disheartening - no capacity is sad, but understandable, I wouldn't expect VR to be added while they have the problems they have currently. Well, maybe at some point Elite will become the best VR game it once was again.

At the moment I am just sad.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom