Frontier's Annual Results have been published (June 2018 to May 2019), showing a record year and Elite passing 3 million basegame sales

So the bit where I asked:

...and you replied:

...that’s not stating you cannot at all see how anybody might have thought a Winter 2016 release for 2.4 was a possibility. Righty-o then.
I referred to the 'winter is coming' part, not the some people expected a winter release for 2.4 part. I thought that's obvious but I don't want to sound condescending again.

And as for:

...FDev started it! They used it first!

After 2.1 was severely delayed, you say...after....hmmmm.

How about when the schedule was first published, like when I’ve been posting about? Was it pretty obvious then?
I am not Max, but if you would ask me I'd say kind of. The quarterly releases definitely hinted at a Winter release for 2.4 although I was curious why they didn't say so when all other updates had a release window. So my guess back than was that they aren't sure if they would make it and didn't announce a specific date for it. So yes, I can understand why some people expected it but I wasn't surprised when it didn't became true.

I referred to the 'winter is coming' part, not the some people expected a winter release for 2.4 part. I thought that's obvious but I don't want to sound condescending again.
Not wishing to sound condescending, but is English your first language? Because I asked a question, which you quoted, and then replied with a rather succinct and unambiguous:

Edit: OT - I wish for continued success and growth for FDev, wish I’d actually bought some shares back at the Kickstarter (I did consider it for a few days), and hope that it means we’ll eventually get some of the planned features from back then - my personal one is the cloud-tech used as a background in one of Mr B’s Dev vids.

Last edited:
Not wishing to sound condescending, but is English your first language? Because I asked a question, which you quoted, and then replied with a rather succinct and unambiguous:
No, but I guess English isn't your first language either. Because in your question you quite clearly referred to the 'winter is coming' quote. That's what I answered with no. To make it VERY obvious:
'No, I don't understand why people would think that 'winter is coming' implies a winter release.' I do understand why people expected a winter release based on other stuff though, like the original release schedule of the first three updates. You are confusing two separate arguements.

No, but I guess English isn't your first language either. Because in your question you quite clearly referred to the 'winter is coming' quote. That's what I answered with no. To make it VERY obvious:
'No, I don't understand why people would think that 'winter is coming' implies a winter release.' I do understand why people expected a winter release based on other stuff though, like the original release schedule of the first three updates. You are confusing two separate arguements.
Did you just start off with a, “No U”? :)
Regarding the original quarterly delivery estimates for Horizons (from FDev themselves), you know, Spring, Summer & Autumn 2016? Can you not possibly, conceiveably, just a little bit, think how some people might just have thought “Winter is Coming” implied a Winter release? Like, not the Winter the year after?
It is clear to me now that your answer is no you don’t but yes you do.

OT: ...and hopefully with continued success, we might see some of those things FDev said in the KS that we will be able to eventually do, like walk around and stuff.

It wasn't a comparison. It's just that both statements are pointless.

There simply is no way for you to know if development is too slow or not. What is slow about it? What could've been faster? Which challenges need to be solved? Which dev is incompetent at leading his team? Who is drinking coffee all day? It's slow compared to what? How do you know it's slow when you don't know which effort is required?
Whilst this has some truth in it it seems complaints about a certain other space game taking ages are judged differently on here and that seems acceptable .

I am no coder but I work with those who are. Whilst everything you said above is true there the coders I know are still expected to give ETAs and whilst some slippage is expected there ARE limits before questions are asked about exactly why it is taking longer.
As for whoever said (sorry can't remember who and on a rubbish phone) that horizons was never anticipated or teased to be 1 years worth of content... That is dishonest.
Really is anyone trying to suggest it was spring, summer, autumn and then over 12 months gap for 2.4?m was intimated all along?.

Also that is being generous as well because really the reason beyond was free was not because FD was feeling charitable it was imo because it was not enough content to be saleable....
Therefore if looking at gaps between premium dlc really beyond is still the same dlc as horizons.

I do not believe ED has had 100 or more FTEs on it all this time. I just hope that it has done for the last 12 months or so and that the 2020 update hits it out of the park as it were

Last edited:
It wasn't a comparison. It's just that both statements are pointless.

There simply is no way for you to know if development is too slow or not. What is slow about it? What could've been faster? Which challenges need to be solved? Which dev is incompetent at leading his team? Who is drinking coffee all day? It's slow compared to what? How do you know it's slow when you don't know which effort is required?
So if the development took 50 years, there'd still be no way to decide whether it was slow or not? It's kind of sad to see the standard space software that must not be named excuse trotted out to defend Frontier's lack of progress on the updates they said themselves are coming.

Unless of course 2020 vision contains all that was trailed and more. Who knows, because Frontier refuse to let that information slip to their 'vibarant community'.

Did you just start off with a, “No U”? :)

It is clear to me now that your answer is no you don’t but yes you do.

OT: ...and hopefully with continued success, we might see some of those things FDev said in the KS that we will be able to eventually do, like walk around and stuff.
Not my problem if you don't understand simple logic.

So if the development took 50 years, there'd still be no way to decide whether it was slow or not? It's kind of sad to see the standard space software that must not be named excuse trotted out to defend Frontier's lack of progress on the updates they said themselves are coming.

Unless of course 2020 vision contains all that was trailed and more. Who knows, because Frontier refuse to let that information slip to their 'vibarant community'.
50 years for what?

DeletedUser191218

D
@StuartGT
Is that chart supposed to be earnings per financial year? Bit worrying that ED isn't reflecting a big increase post the 2020 update (whether it reflects in 2020 or 2021, neither year shows a material uplift). I wonder why analysts aren't estimating a forecast increase in earnings from ED. I note Liberium have caveated that the 2020 updated could generate more revenue than forecast....but that doesn't change the fact the share price has dropped materially. Perhaps it's undervalued in the market (ie it may have a low price/earnings ratio relative to peers). Or it may have been a bit overpriced. It could also be industry-wide (I did read that the beta of FDev to the game developer industry is quite high, so it will likely be more volatile than the industry average). Where's a Bloomberg terminal when I need one? Lol

(For some reason I'm having trouble quoting the post being referenced)

Not my problem if you don't understand simple logic.
Well it appears we have entered a jousting motion where you say, “nuh-uh” and I look at the actual posts and wiggle my eyebrows furiously and say, “yeah-eh”.

I shall take this opportunity to low-wake from this particular conversation, with a final boost and burst of chaff; your written English and grammar is excellent but you failed to answer the question as asked, so I must give you a lower score for Comprehension.

See you next thread!

So the bit where I asked:

...and you replied:

...that’s not stating you cannot at all see how anybody might have thought a Winter 2016 release for 2.4 was a possibility. Righty-o then.

And as for:

...FDev started it! They used it first!

After 2.1 was severely delayed, you say...after....hmmmm.

How about when the schedule was first published, like when I’ve been posting about? Was it pretty obvious then?
Fdev started it said the child in the playground. You do know that is what it sounds like.

So what that the schedule didn't go to plan. Things happen. Not a major issue. That was obviously the plan when they released it. Obvious that can't see the future and realise there were going to be some hold ups.

But as it goes 2.4 never had release date and "winter is coming" quite had nothing to do with 2.4 and was about the Thargoids which appeared in the winter.

Fdev started it said the child in the playground. You do know that is what it sounds like.
Yes I do! That’s why I wrote it like that! Well done for seeing it, ‘twas the joke...
So what that the schedule didn't go to plan. Things happen. Not a major issue. That was obviously the plan when they released it. Obvious that can't see the future and realise there were going to be some hold ups.
We agree then.
But as it goes 2.4 never had release date and "winter is coming" quite had nothing to do with 2.4 and was about the Thargoids which appeared in the winter.
So when Mr B was asked about Thargoids and he replied with “Winter is coming”, that had nothing to do with the Thargoid attacks etc from Horizons 2.4 “The Return” (Sept 2017) onwards and was only about the mostly non-interactive hyperdictions that took place from January?

I think I’ll disagree with you there.

OT: ...and hopefully with the extra money coming in from new franchises and expanding onto the next generation of consoles, we might get some of those nifty other SRV designs from the artwork book. I’d like that.

Last edited:
Yes I do! That’s why I wrote it like that! Well done for seeing it, ‘twas the joke...

We agree then.

So when Mr B was asked about Thargoids and he replied with “Winter is coming”, that had nothing to do with the Thargoid attacks etc from Horizons 2.4 “The Return” (Sept 2017) onwards and was only about the mostly non-interactive hyperdictions that took place from January?

Nope. It was to do with the very first Thargoid interdictions which started well before 2.4 came out.

OT: ...and hopefully with the extra money coming in from new franchises and expanding onto the next generation of consoles, we might get some of those nifty other SRV designs from the artwork book. I’d like that.
That would be nice.

Nope. It was to do with the very first Thargoid interdictions which started well before 2.4 came out.
I refer the Right Honourable Gentleman to my previous answer:
If Mr B would like to interject at any time with his actual meaning for the phrase...I’m sure that’d clear things right up :)

OT: ...although it’s never been hinted at, could buckets of cash chucked at ED eventually give us something like more Station types? I’d love to see a return of the Dodo.

There were a lot of ED sales on Steam and other places which boosted sales. ED needs the September and December updates asap to entice old players to return to the game.

Top Bottom