Frontier's release plan is genius

• How many developers? Are you saying the developer was lying that when she said there was an “army” (apparently her words, as I saw quoted) of internal testers?
  • How long? Since the alpha was in a fairly stable state, it had to start before the the public alpha. Unless FDev decided to give everyone a vacation, testing would have continued for that entire period, until whatever the release lockdown time is.
  • However, ”release” is defined by the developer announcing the “release.” I am unware of any exceptions. Other than forum cranks, nobody will refer to Odyssey after May 19 as a “beta.”
  • Ah yes, those magical hidden bugs that only you know about, and will announce after initial bug reports come in.
You were utterly, completely delusionally wrong about the testing process, and you are grasping at straws to pretend you were right all along.
The word "army" must have impressed you a lot. :D

The bugs I found aren't exactly hidden since I posted screenshots of them. Let's see if your "army" of internal testers found them, too. Maybe then we can finally settle our dispute about the usefulness of public betas. ;)

The word "army" must have impressed you a lot. :D

The bugs I found aren't exactly hidden since I posted screenshots of them. Let's see if your "army" of internal testers found them, too. Maybe then we can finally settle our dispute about the usefulness of public betas. ;)
You kept demanding a number of testers, which was silly.

I don’t care about your screenshots. If they weren’t verified in the public bug tracker, the public test obviously did not consider them important.

You’re also torpedoing your theory that public alphas cannot work - since you expect the bugs to persist, that means a public beta would be redundant.

I think the problem is rather that ODY was announced to be a rather complete DLC compared to Horizons which featured a release of features in stages. Now it doesn't look like a completed release and instead it is an early access with likely fixes down the road. Pretty similar in the end for the customer and the whole schmank around beta, schmeta and alpha is just an attempt at muddying the water.
I think you're right. In fact, I think it's how a project like this much work. The part I was originally calling genius (with a smidge of tongue in cheek), was how Frontier is making a full release (most likely for the share holders) which is really a beta, and doing it in the most stable way they can.

It's really disserves a ... jolly good show ... or something of the sort!

Last edited:
I think the problem is rather that ODY was announced to be a rather complete DLC compared to Horizons which featured a release of features in stages. Now it doesn't look like a completed release and instead it is an early access with likely fixes down the road. Pretty similar in the end for the customer and the whole schmank around beta, schmeta and alpha is just an attempt at muddying the water.
I don't get it, which features won't be in at launch? All I heard is that you can't play with people who lack the dlc (quite normal for a game) but can do so later (cool) and they will give away parts of Edo for free to horizon users (even cooler).

No idea where all this drama comes from, so far I have heard of not a single EDO feature that won't be included at launch.

Last edited:
Has anyone?
Well, cross-play with PC Horizons, but that’s because Horizons is now stuck on a dead branch.

The list of features that are confirmed for Odyssey that were not visible in the alpha is extremely short. Based on a Youtuber “Down to Earth Astronomy”’s comment (youtube link) (see comments at around 7:21) they might actually offer information on what else is in Odyssey only during the server down time on Wednesday.

Since we don’t know what’s even in it, less likely to know what was cut...

Well, cross-play with PC Horizons, but that’s because Horizons is now stuck on a dead branch.

The list of features that are confirmed for Odyssey that were not visible in the alpha is extremely short. Based on a Youtuber “Down to Earth Astronomy”’s comment (youtube link) (see comments at around 7:21) they might actually offer information on what else is in Odyssey only during the server down time on Wednesday.

Since we don’t know what’s even in it, less likely to know what was cut...
I'd hoped for a livestream during Wednesday's downtime, where we were drip-fed snippets...
By the look of it there isn't even a livestream tomorrow - but we do get one at 14:00 Thursday... Wonder what I might be doing then?

As far as I'm concerned they can keep Odyssey and Horizons separate for as long as they like if it means I can avoid some of the new UIs.
Having been used to the FC UI for quite a while, the Odyssey ones were just the next step for me - although I'd hope that some of the inconsistencies / missing functions have been addressed. We'll know in a little over 44 hours (if they stick to schedule) 🤷‍♂️

Does that ever actually happen?
Possibly 🤷‍♂️

It is rare for me to be bothered by when an update actually arrives - more often than not I'm occupied with mundane stuff... This one I'd like on time as it will likely take around an hour to download and I'd prefer to have my 2 active accounts positioned where I want them, with their equipment, before going to bed.

If it doesn't happen, no great inconvenience, the following morning will do.

I don't get it, which features won't be in at launch? All I heard is that you can't play with people who lack the dlc (quite normal for a game) but can do so later (cool) and they will give away parts of Edo for free to horizon users (even cooler).

No idea where all this drama comes from, so far I have heard of not a single EDO feature that won't be included at launch.

Has anyone?
I believe you are avoiding the Exo/Zeno Botany game loop that was removed.

Hi hi.

I mean it's not like they said: We planed this and that, but we will give you only this.
For Post Horizons they had a clear roadmap of seasons.

Odyssey has no seasons... it's tidal locked
Sorry, that one went straight over my head... I must be tired...

I believe you are avoiding the Exo/Zeno Botany game loop that was removed.
Oh, if you mean the sad minigame: that was a thing I asked them to remove. They didn't promise it'd be gone immediately at launch, but I hope I won't have to wait many patches for it to get lost. If that is what you look for in a game I suggest you look at mobile games, lots of Chinese freeware that's right up your alley. :)

Oh, if you mean the sad minigame: that was a thing I asked them to remove. They didn't promise it'd be gone immediately at launch, but I hope I won't have to wait many patches for it to get lost. If that is what you look for in a game I suggest you look at mobile games, lots of Chinese freeware that's right up your alley. :)
You really need to work on your fish delivery, the Red Herring stinks from a mile away.

Of course, the fact that you tried to put your position on me while you were doing it just shows that you know you have a losing strategy.

Don't worry, though, it was good for a laugh, just not With you.

You really need to work on your fish delivery, the Red Herring stinks from a mile away.

Of course, the fact that you tried to put your position on me while you were doing it just shows that you know you have a losing strategy.

Don't worry, though, it was good for a laugh, just not With you.
I really have no idea what you are talking about, but you do you I guess.

Back
Top Bottom