FSS Question

I've had similar experiences of finding a binary pair of stars with a single world orbiting them, and the honk gave me something like 56%, with the planet accounting for the remaining 44% somehow.

I’m way out in deep space, this keeps happening out here. No population.
Then I’ve got nothing.

Truth be told, between exploring in VR and my own personal exploration style, the focus of my attention has always been in everywhere but that particular corner of the screen. Given how many bugs remain in the FSS, between orbit lines not showing up in VR, having to “double tap” a body to get its information panel, the missing information on said panel, and the excessive time required for geological POI information, it wouldn’t surprise me one bit that this is a bug.

Are asteroid belts somehow being included in the percentage?
I've had 100% complete messages in lots of systems where I've not scanned the belts, so that looks like a 'no'. At least I think I have - I usually just focus on the bodies count; sometimes there's a last planet way out of the ecliptic that takes a bit of tracking down.

I have always assumed that the reason for the apparent discrepancy is due to the fact that the percentage scanned reflects the mass of scanned bodies against total mass the system contains.

Then surely there'd be far more variation and it would be visible in every system.
For example, a system with one blue supergiant and a single icy moon should give >90% complete for just the star.

Then surely there'd be far more variation and it would be visible in every system.
For example, a system with one blue supergiant and a single icy moon should give >90% complete for just the star.
That's exactly what happens.I'm in a system now with 31 bodies,before scanning ,the sun acounts for 8% bodies discovered,gas giants account for 5% per body,icy bodies 2%~3%,dependant on size,etc. Obviously the percentages will change depending on the number and composition of bodies in-system.

That's exactly what happens.I'm in a system now with 31 bodies,before scanning ,the sun acounts for 8% bodies discovered,gas giants account for 5% per body,icy bodies 2%~3%,dependant on size,etc. Obviously the percentages will change depending on the number and composition of bodies in-system.

I'd love to see screenshots of that - not that I don't believe you, I just think it would be cool.

From the numbers your quoting I'd say there's a log scale on the mass, or at least some kind of 'bucketting' going on, otherwise stars would be a much higher %age.

Edit:
I'm especially curious about systems with high body counts. In a system with >100 bodies icy moons aren't going to move the needle.

Last edited:
Maybe the percentages are based on a logarithmic scale?

edit: Ninja'd!

quad.jpg

I'd love to see screenshots of that - not that I don't believe you, I just think it would be cool.
Well,i did start,but once the pattern became obvious i didn't do them all.
I think they're rough percentages though,the last class 1 GG came in at 7%.

Well,i did start,but once the pattern became obvious i didn't do them all.
I think they're rough percentages though,the last class 1 GG came in at 7%.
What's the star type? I'm thinking it's a type "M," so at most 100x the mass of those gas giants. Your 7% gas giant could very well be just below the threshold for it to be a brown dwarf, so about 10 times the others.

@Zieman, without knowing what the mass of the stars are, it's difficult to tell if there's an actual pattern. Out of idle curiosity, I did some literal* "back of the envelope" calculations, and this is what our solar system would look like, assuming that the percentage scan was based off a logarithmic scale:

BodyLog(mass)+3scan percentagemass (earths)
Sun8.5220%332900.000
Mercury1.744%0.055
Venus2.917%0.815
Earth3.007%1.000
Moon0.301%0.002
Mars3.037%1.070
Jupiter5.5013%318.000
Io1.183%0.015
Europa0.902%0.008
Ganymede1.403%0.025
Callisto1.263%0.018
Saturn4.9811%95.000
Titan0.561%0.004
Uranus4.159%14.000
Neptune4.2310%17.000
Triton0.261%0.002
Pluto0.341%0.002
Eris0.451%0.003
I had to add three to the actual log of the mass to avoid negative numbers when dealing with most of the major moons, and I had to remove Ceres altogether because it was just way too tiny. :) Too bad we can't scan the Sol system, for comparison purposes. :(
_
*before remembering that google docs is a thing ;)

Has anyone used the fss in no mans sky?

Somehow it’s amazing. Makes me really jealous for elite.

The fss in no mans sky shows you everything, like the system map, so operating it is making a decision and planning the next leg of the exploration.

It’s doesn’t come across as busy work at all.

Top Bottom