Further Clarity

Happy Birthday Daze, please consider this an official answer to your question.

The console version of the game (now essentially synonymous with "Horizons") will continue from this point on with the features that it currently has. As mentioned before, no new features or content will be added but critical updates will be implemented where necessary. By this, we largely mean high-impact bugs or essential maintenance.

With regards to storyline and Community Goals, those will continue to be available on console until such a time that they require the Odyssey framework to function (if one required involvement ground-based content, for example). There's no planned date for such a thing, but it is a real possibility.

Investigation into profile transfers is ongoing and we look forward to sharing what we can in due course.

O7
...my suits are ready... :|

The console version of the game (now essentially synonymous with "Horizons") will continue from this point on with the features that it currently has. As mentioned before, no new features or content will be added but critical updates will be implemented where necessary. By this, we largely mean high-impact bugs or essential maintenance.

With regards to storyline and Community Goals, those will continue to be available on console until such a time that they require the Odyssey framework to function (if one required involvement ground-based content, for example). There's no planned date for such a thing, but it is a real possibility.

Investigation into profile transfers is ongoing and we look forward to sharing what we can in due course.

O7
Cheers for rep gave me all I wanted o7 buddy 👍

O7
Pretty much all we were looking for, thank you sir!

They mean the current Gen of ED on Xbox One/PS4 not the Next-Gen.

Odyssey was never announced for PS5/XBSeries and they specifically said they cancel the console port - so there is no question/confusion here.

There is a chance, and i do hope for it, that they will announce - maybe by the end of the year or the beginning of the next year - a console port for EDO but only for PS5/XBSeries
But for the moment the only thing we know is: there is no console port of EDO in the works.

Odyssey was never announced for PS5/XBSeries and they specifically said they cancel the console port - so there is no question/confusion here.

There is a chance, and i do hope for it, that they will announce - maybe by the end of the year or the beginning of the next year - a console port for EDO but only for PS5/XBSeries
But for the moment the only thing we know is: there is no console port of EDO in the works.
I think there’s a lack of context.

They have already and very literally stated no to all the above. There is absolutely no chance in any interpretation to play or access Odyssey now or in any far future outside of PC and Steam

They have already and very literally stated no to all the above. There is absolutely no chance in any interpretation to play or access Odyssey now or in any far future outside of PC and Steam

They said NO to the PS4/XB1 console port.

When people asked what about PS5/XBSeries native version they said we have nothing to announce.

That doesnt mean they cannot announce a PS5/XBSeries native version sometime by the end of this year or next year - assuming we will still have Elite next year.

E25ED004-BD3A-4CFD-B97E-092C102EA202.png

they didn’t officially announce it?

Do you see PS5 or XB Series mentioned on that screenshot?
Because that exactly what i said: It was never announced for PS5/XBSeries - it's right there in the post you quoted

It was announced for PS4/XB1 - then canceled for PS4/XB1
Any questions related to a native version for PS5/XBSeries was met with: We have nothing to announce
Yeah dats tru

They said NO to the PS4/XB1 console port.

When people asked what about PS5/XBSeries native version they said we have nothing to announce.

That doesnt mean they cannot announce a PS5/XBSeries native version sometime by the end of this year or next year - assuming we will still have Elite next year.
They actually communicated no Odyssey for “consoles”.

I’m not trying to be rude or make anyone feel a certain way but I am careful that no one reads this and comes away with hope for something that’s not being considered.
Elite Dangerous is not getting any content updates of any kind for “consoles”

The announcement was not limited to any generation, it was for the platform as a whole.

Summary of what was actually shared:

“Over the last several months, we have been wrestling with the best way to move forward, and it is with a heavy heart we have decided to cancel all console development," Braben lamented. This means Elite Dangerous: Odyssey, nor any future content updates, are planned to release on Xbox or PlayStation platforms, with the game effectively becoming PC-only into the future. "This was not an easy decision to make, but it was made with the long-term future of Elite Dangerous in mind," Braben concluded.

Last edited:
The announcement was not limited to any generation, it was for the platform as a whole.

Well... you mean they could have released Odyssey for Nintendo? That's a console too, right?

No, they were very specific:
Odyssey was supposed to be released only for PS4/XB1 - even tho EDO launch happened 6 months after nextgen consoles were released
Initially they said they dont have any plans to release Odyssey for nextgens, later on they switched from "no plans" to "nothing to announce"

So what they canceled is the PS4/XB1 console version since this was the only version ever announced.
It's like PS5/XBSeries does not even exist from the perspective of Elite gaming universe. Which is weird imo, but that's how it is 🤷‍♂️

Now, regarding the future of Elite, my own speculations goes like this:
a) they manage to polish EDO code good enough so it can run stable on PS5/XBX at 4k/60fps (even if only in performance mode with reduced gfx quality) and we will get back the console version (maybe sometimes next year)
or
b) they keep milking EDO as it is (PC only) for like 1-2 years more, running with a small team and on a very tight budget, then eventually shutting it down sometimes by the end of 2024, by the game's 10th anniversary

Currently it seems they're going for b) but i'm not excluding a) even tho it seems rather unlikely.

I'd Northpin is spot on with that prediction.
It will run to its 10th year and end of current storyline then disappear fir a couple years until the process starts over again with the sequel.
Probably something along the lines of Elits exodus. Thargoids and guardians battle as the human race flees extinction.

Well... you mean they could have released Odyssey for Nintendo? That's a console too, right?

No, they were very specific:
Odyssey was supposed to be released only for PS4/XB1 - even tho EDO launch happened 6 months after nextgen consoles were released
Initially they said they dont have any plans to release Odyssey for nextgens, later on they switched from "no plans" to "nothing to announce"

So what they canceled is the PS4/XB1 console version since this was the only version ever announced.
It's like PS5/XBSeries does not even exist from the perspective of Elite gaming universe. Which is weird imo, but that's how it is 🤷‍♂️

Now, regarding the future of Elite, my own speculations goes like this:
a) they manage to polish EDO code good enough so it can run stable on PS5/XBX at 4k/60fps (even if only in performance mode with reduced gfx quality) and we will get back the console version (maybe sometimes next year)
or
b) they keep milking EDO as it is (PC only) for like 1-2 years more, running with a small team and on a very tight budget, then eventually shutting it down sometimes by the end of 2024, by the game's 10th anniversary

Currently it seems they're going for b) but i'm not excluding a) even tho it seems rather unlikely.

Not sure if you are being serious or not.
I’m just going to reply short.

The Odyssey game is dead for consoles…regardless of what way you want to hear or read it. If you have any old or new xbox/playstation console, you will not play Odyssey.

O7
You wanted my money and you got it. You wanted my support as a gamer and you had it. You betrayed me. For me Elite dangerous is dead, Frontier is dead and I will NEVER buy your game again. You will be interested in absolutely nothing less than one less user on your game, we are numbers for you.

Top Bottom