GALNET - 18 JUN 3307 - Guardian-Thargoid Battlefield Discovered

yes, I know...I would imagine that anyone that has been to it, probably looked its history up first or eventually.

otherwise, as far as I can tell the timeline doesn't make it too likely that it can do 300 ly jumps. but you never know.

The Proteus, also known by its identification code AZB2/H002255/SC-01, was an Anaconda that was used as a secondary exploration craft for the Hesperus, a megaship owned and operated by Azimuth Biochemicals in the early 32nd century. The Proteus had an approximate travel range of 300 light years.
300 ly range doesn't mean 300 ly jumps. It basically had the fuel and resources aboard to travel 300 ly at whatever speed it went.

So what's actually out there at this location? Is this just a cool lore tidbit, or is it actually worth going out there and poking around?

(I've managed to completely miss what's going on with most of this Hesperus story arc, is there anywhere else still persisting in the galaxy that's worth taking a wee shifty at?)
Lore stuff.
The anaconda and a makeshift base with 2 lore text stuff to download, and several crashed thargoids/guardian ruins on the planet

So what's actually out there at this location? Is this just a cool lore tidbit, or is it actually worth going out there and poking around?

(I've managed to completely miss what's going on with most of this Hesperus story arc, is there anywhere else still persisting in the galaxy that's worth taking a wee shifty at?)

There is a unique Anaconda turned base ground structure, a guardian site and a bunch of dead thargs.

Its a serious pain to navigate to with all the permit locks though.

Mhh perhaps in the old Elite, but if true it was retcon. I went to reddit and apparently, the Guardian were able to decrypt their language, eventually, and talk to them. But the Thargoid didn't care and kept attacking.

Officially, we were never able to talk to them. They attacked, but tried to wipe them with the bioweapon.They came back, we fight back.

OFC, the events of the Adamastor/Hesperus are still mostly a mystery, and it seems to be the "first contact" event. But our first contact where mostly hostile.
I don’t think Reddit is necessarily the best source of info for this stuff, nor the wiki. 😉

You're getting someone's retelling of what Ram Tah told them, and Ram Tah's only source is from one side - the Guardians'.

(There's a tendency for people to portray things that are said by characters as being canon/lore, but that's generally wrong. It's only canon/lore that the character said those things. The character could be wrong, lying, misinformed, only have partial information, etc, etc.)

On the human-Thargoid communication front, have a read of this Galnet article: https://community.elitedangerous.com/galnet/18-MAY-3301

Also consider that the Thargoid Sensors broadcast in what's essentially Morse Code.

And as for what officially happened, well the official versions of events that we get told about publicly (I’m talking within the game universe) are somewhat prone to being a little, shall we say, edited.

The rumours (I’m talking within ED here) are that a Thargoid deputation was attacked by colonists in a system that was known as Veliaze at the time, and that the first conflict was a result of that. (You’ll find no record of a system called Veliaze if you check your Navcom though.)

I'm not entirely sure the Adamastor /Hesperus stuff is the actual first contact with Thargoids for the entirety of humanity. ;)

There's certainly grounds to suspect that some may have been aware of the Guardians for a long time before any of that as well. (Though bits of that do end up getting into 'did FD think it through well enough to have taken this stuff into account' territory.)

It's all a bit murky, not least because of having to deal with the question of whether FD are actually being completely thorough, consistent and coherent in the background. :D

I meant wiki. Not reddit. Sorry, brain fart.

Officially, AFAIK, there have been no answers from Thargoid to human communications attempts. There was apparently for the guardian, but only because the guardian eventually found a way to understand the thargoid, and they weren't interested into hearing them. Which lead to the guardian fighting back.

The Thargoids are not interested in communicating.

Emphasis on "officially" ;)
Considering thargoids were not interested in talking to the guardians, I don't see why they would with us. They had the same behavior in both "war". People settle in their precious territory, they attack them. People try to talk to them to understand, they don't answer. Eventually, people fight back.

I meant wiki. Not reddit. Sorry, brain fart.
It's ok, thought you might have mean the wiki, and accounted for it in my answer. ;) As a general point, I've seen a lot of incorrect stuff on the wiki. I'd always advise actually reading the sources, not just the wiki text.

Officially, AFAIK, there have been no answers from Thargoid to human communications attempts. There was apparently for the guardian, but only because the guardian eventually found a way to understand the thargoid, and they weren't interested into hearing them. Which lead to the guardian fighting back.

The Thargoids are not interested in communicating.
The Thargoids went to the effort of making some of their stuff broadcast in a human code - that's not no communication.

And the powers that be have been more than happy to push for commercial exploitation of Thargoid barnacles, knowing that it would trigger a hostile response with many human casualties. What do you reckon the chances are that they're going to tell you about diplomatic contact?

The general public weren't even aware that Thargoids actually existed up until their return - the powers that be certainly did though.

Kind of depends by what you mean by human communication attempts as well. Do you mean by cmdrs?

The thing with that is there are two questions:
  • What have the attempts at communication actually been with?
  • How do those with who the attempts have been made regard those who were making the attempt? (If they even have the ability to regard.)
From what we know, the Thargoids are hive like in their society, with a few queens and many drones. And we don't really know how their ships fit into this and whether there are actual Thargoids on them.

Would a representative of that kind of civilisation talk to what to them merely appears to be a drone in another civilisation?

There's also the very real possibility that cmdrs have basically been trying to talk to what are the equivalent of Skimmers, except in slightly more biological form.

(I'd say it's always worth bearing in mind that the Thargoids in ED are supposed to be aliens with a capital A - as in actual aliens, not just re-skinned humans.)

Considering thargoids were not interested in talking to the guardians, I don't see why they would with us. They had the same behavior in both "war". People settle in their precious territory, they attack them. People try to talk to them to understand, they don't answer. Eventually, people fight back.
That is the story according to GalNet, which is an in-universe source and subject to it's own influences. There are numerous discrepancies between the Guardian's description of the Thargoids, and the Thargoids that we see a million years later. And while GalNet is in-universe, it's not all-powerful and Frontier do still have to write in hints, some of which aren't particularly subtle if you know what you're looking for. Like how the original station attacks article has an incredibly small death toll, as well as a description of how this warlike alien race deliberately held back, to disable the station rather than tear it to shreds. Or, since we're on the Guardians, here's the response to the Guardian logs. Including:
If the Thargoids adopt the same modus operandi as with the Guardians, their next move will be to start aggressively mining mineral resources. There is no evidence this has yet begun, however.
Weird detail for the writers to add, isn't it? Even weirder to go further out of your way to highlight the fact that it hasn't happened, and still hasn't. Hinting that these Thargoids are somehow different...

And if we want to cheat, several official Elite Dangerous novels just straight up have successful Thargoid communications and cooperation with humanity. And have two clans of Thargoids, one warlike, one more peaceful, which neatly explains the Guardian logs. But of course, it's secret. So it's hardly going to be headline news on GalNet, the closest we'll get for the time being is hints like above that maybe something isn't adding up here.

I finally got around the great permit wall and visited anaconda science lab which was a cool site, but was saddened by the lack of voice acting in the logs.

I finally got around the great permit wall and visited anaconda science lab which was a cool site, but was saddened by the lack of voice acting in the logs.
Is there anything in the game which is voice acted ?
Beside ship "voice" and ACT ?

That is the story according to GalNet, which is an in-universe source and subject to it's own influences. There are numerous discrepancies between the Guardian's description of the Thargoids, and the Thargoids that we see a million years later. And while GalNet is in-universe, it's not all-powerful and Frontier do still have to write in hints, some of which aren't particularly subtle if you know what you're looking for. Like how the original station attacks article has an incredibly small death toll, as well as a description of how this warlike alien race deliberately held back, to disable the station rather than tear it to shreds. Or, since we're on the Guardians, here's the response to the Guardian logs. Including:

Weird detail for the writers to add, isn't it? Even weirder to go further out of your way to highlight the fact that it hasn't happened, and still hasn't. Hinting that these Thargoids are somehow different...

And if we want to cheat, several official Elite Dangerous novels just straight up have successful Thargoid communications and cooperation with humanity. And have two clans of Thargoids, one warlike, one more peaceful, which neatly explains the Guardian logs. But of course, it's secret. So it's hardly going to be headline news on GalNet, the closest we'll get for the time being is hints like above that maybe something isn't adding up here.
There's also the suggestion that the Guardians had moved onto planets with Thargoid Barnacles. Which, suggests that when the Thargoids returned they found a species had wiped out the Barnacles and taken over their territory.

Which suggests that if the Barnacles are resources, they took over Thargoid resources and thus started the war in the eyes of the Thargoids. The other possibility is that if Barnacles are related to the Thargoid life-cycle that they might have wiped out Thargoid young in some manner and thus been seen as murderers in the eyes of the returned Thargoids. Which, again, might suggest why the Thargoids didn't want to cease conflict.

In the end, though, we don't really know. Maybe one day we'll get the Thargoid side of the story, or learn from the Construct AIs what happened is something between the two sides.

There's also the suggestion that the Guardians had moved onto planets with Thargoid Barnacles. Which, suggests that when the Thargoids returned they found a species had wiped out the Barnacles and taken over their territory.

Which suggests that if the Barnacles are resources, they took over Thargoid resources and thus started the war in the eyes of the Thargoids. The other possibility is that if Barnacles are related to the Thargoid life-cycle that they might have wiped out Thargoid young in some manner and thus been seen as murderers in the eyes of the returned Thargoids. Which, again, might suggest why the Thargoids didn't want to cease conflict.

In the end, though, we don't really know. Maybe one day we'll get the Thargoid side of the story, or learn from the Construct AIs what happened is something between the two sides.
Barnacles make meta alloy, which is used by Thargoids for construction.
They are a hive mind, they have no concept of "murder". Can you murder a limpet ? Which is good for us, because we literally try to commit genocide against them. And so far, they show no sign of "hatred" or "revenge".

Barnacles make meta alloy, which is used by Thargoids for construction.
They are a hive mind, they have no concept of "murder". Can you murder a limpet ? Which is good for us, because we literally try to commit genocide against them. And so far, they show no sign of "hatred" or "revenge".
Well, to be fair. If I was a hive mind and someone shot off one of my hive mind 'fingers' I think I'd get a little miffed.

Is there anything in the game which is voice acted ?
Beside ship "voice" and ACT ?
Pretty much every lore-based log in the game after a certain update (2.2?) was voice acted. I guess voice acting didn't make it into the budget for this latest GalNet phase, which is a shame. You get what you pay for?

Pretty much every lore-based log in the game after a certain update (2.2?) was voice acted. I guess voice acting didn't make it into the budget for this latest GalNet phase, which is a shame. You get what you pay for?
You mean Glanet ? It's a text to speech. And from what I've seen, it's the only lore related thing with voice.
Well, to be fair. If I was a hive mind and someone shot off one of my hive mind 'fingers' I think I'd get a little miffed.
Do you know how bees kill bigger predator that attack their hive (like spiders or wasps) ? They all get around it, and flap their wing very fast. It increase the temperature of the creature in the middle of the bees, and since insects have poor temperature regulation, it dies. Obviously, most if not all bees involved die, either killed by the predator, or by the temperature increase.
It's the same thing when a bee sting you. They literally shred their abdomen, and a part of it stay with the sting in your flesh. Obviously, they die shortly afterward.

That's how hive works. We're not sure if they are a hive mind per say, but they are a hive. Which means the drones "life" is a concept that simply doesn't exist. Just like a bee will gladly die without a second thought to protect the hive. They just do what they are supposed to do.
You feel pain if I remove one of your fingers. It's also a permanent thing, it won't grow back. Now, imagine you didn't feel pain, had thousands of fingers, and it would grow back quickly. Would you care for it ?

You mean Glanet ? It's a text to speech. And from what I've seen, it's the only lore related thing with voice.

Oh no, not GalNet Audio, I know that's text to speech (though given the hype surrounding it, I'd think it wasn't).

Once a certain update added it in, it's been the norm for pretty much all lore-related logs. I can't list all the examples because it was everything, Cannon's site has recordings. I usually find myself referencing the logs of the settlements attacked by the Thargoids, though. Site-94 and LV-87 are some of my favourites lorewise, and imo the acting and production of the audio is pretty good. The Black Flight logs as well, Relay Station PSJ-17 is a good example.

Top Bottom