GALNET - Prototype Frame Shift Drive almost production ready, competitor sceptical - 04 APR 3310

Engineers breaking the 4th wall! The new blueprints will be used not to improve the FSD, but to optimise the display settings!

That's brilliant!
Tangentially, i remember playing "Papers, Please" and thinking after a few levels "man, i wish there were hotkeys for some functions..." and then after a couple more levels found that hotkeys were a booth upgrade XD

So, that sort of thing can be done effectively... but it's not easy to pull off.

SCO heat generation is tied to fps. Try it on 30, and you will be surprised how effective it is.

I wish it was easy to tell if this was a joke or not.

Oh my, that would explain part of the differing views about usability
I am yet to go and pick up one or more of these FSDs and am now very worried that if this is right my ships are going to explode if I try them in deep space. I am not sure that my laptop goes as slow as 30 even in a busy Odyssey ground base.

I am yet to go and pick up one or more of these FSDs and am now very worried that if this is right my ships are going to explode if I try them in deep space. I am not sure that my laptop goes as slow as 30 even in a busy Odyssey ground base.
I dunno about it, been playing on 60 FPS and can do ~10k ls through boosting with my Phantom(6A armored/thermal spread reactor) before it gets to ~90% heat. Not that I’ve timed it.

But I’d hope it’s just a joke referring to how you magically get a better success rate for research limpets by lowering your framerate.

I think that it might affect the maximum heat. Get a very cold-running ship, run it in SCO until the heat caps, then switch to 30 FPS in options and try it again, see if the cap is much lower.

But I’d hope it’s just a joke referring to how you magically get a better success rate for research limpets by lowering your framerate.
No joke, I've just seen the video footage on Reddit. Doesn't look in any way suspicious to me.

We need more confirmation than just a random video on reddit.
Ok, I've just tested this myself, I'm using a heavy Cobra with a G4 LE PP, times between 23% heat (max throttle before SCO) and 100% heat were:

13.65s @ 30HZ
10.35s @ 60HZ

Ok, I've just tested this myself, I'm using a heavy Cobra with a G4 LE PP, times between 23% heat (max throttle before SCO) and 100% heat were:

13.65s @ 30HZ
10.35s @ 60HZ
Just curious are those single run times or averages of multiple runs?

Just 3 runs, one for 30HZ and two for 60HZ (I actually got the exact same time on both), but not carried out in a scientific manner. I just used my phone stopwatch.

Just tried my Imperial Courier with the 30Hz limit. This is the same ship that I got 49.09 seconds with the frame rate limiter turned off.

The heat peaked at 64% and then stopped. I ran the SCO for 2 minutes before I shrugged and turned it off. Even if it does eventually reach 66% heat, the cooling rate will prevent it from rising further. So, its performance is now entirely fuel limited rather than heat limited. No heat sinks required.

I got 41.56 seconds with the Hauler, up from 18 seconds. (Edit: once I used the correct LE 5/Thermal spread power plant)

The Viper III also runs fuel limited at a peak of 61% heat.

The Sidewinder ran for 1:17.65 before heat damage.

The Dolphin was fuel limited at 65% heat on one run and slowly increased on another. Further testing required…and done. One run peaked at 64%. Another run went to 67% and then fell back to 64% after 5 second. Soooo, there’s another factor at play here.

That’s all the testing I have time for right now.

Last edited:
Just got FSD SCO for 3C, 4C and 5C (courier, dolphin and DBX) but went to get a 6C for my 'Conda and can't see one (is it just out of stock or not available - I am at Mcdivitt Dock in Liu Huang)

I can see a 'normal' 6B, 6C and 6D but not the 6C SCO one.
Do I have to try somewhere else?

Top Bottom