GALNET - Prototype Frame Shift Drive almost production ready, competitor sceptical - 04 APR 3310

Just got FSD SCO for 3C, 4C and 5C (courier, dolphin and DBX) but went to get a 6C for my 'Conda and can't see one (is it just out of stock or not available - I am at Mcdivitt Dock in Liu Huang)

I can see a 'normal' 6B, 6C and 6D but not the 6C SCO one.
Do I have to try somewhere else?
I got a 6C FSD Sco from Jameson Memorial in the Shinrarta Dezhra system.

Just got FSD SCO for 3C, 4C and 5C (courier, dolphin and DBX) but went to get a 6C for my 'Conda and can't see one (is it just out of stock or not available - I am at Mcdivitt Dock in Liu Huang)

No - you can just give up if you like. Just sell the 'conda - you know you want to.

Probably, yes. I also found one of these at a port that wasn’t even High Tech following an inara search. (I found one that way - filtering High Tech on the galaxy map and visiting a high pop system - on my main, wasn’t so lucky on the alt.)

They had every size at Jameson...

EDIT: Oops. Not paying attention. Answered already...

Another test using a Cobra at 30, 45, 60, 90, 120, 144, 300 and ~400 fps:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rcf_EDHzcc
This is especially bad for those, like me, who have a high refresh rate display and like to play games (including ED) at the highest refresh rate the display supports. (In my case I have a 120 Hz g-sync display, and my PC can easily run the in-ship portions of the game at that refresh rate.) It literally means that the heat drawback of the FSD is significantly worse.

So rather this engine is specially designed for Odyssey (legs) and will not get any improvements !

Liu Huang is in the general neighborhood of Oya, yes? Try Thurston Ring in Qama, last I checked they had all sizes in stock (and a good selection of modules at LYR discount in general).

This is especially bad for those, like me, who have a high refresh rate display and like to play games (including ED) at the highest refresh rate the display supports. (In my case I have a 120 Hz g-sync display, and my PC can easily run the in-ship portions of the game at that refresh rate.) It literally means that the heat drawback of the FSD is significantly worse.

Same here. Running a 144Hz monitor and I, usually, give games their head. Although there are some exceptions (like locking Fallout 4 to 60fps to avoid physics issues).

ED normally runs (depending on location) at somewhere between 75-120fps, so this new drive is a bit of a non starter for me, given its 'handicaps'. I'm certainly not going to cap my frame rate to use it, even if I could think of a use for it. Which I can't...at present.

The Raxxla Drive.
Humanity already had one of those but I believe they were retconned from Elite Lore: Quirium Drives. I believe Jacques could be one such owner of one (still) lol. His jumping of his megaship to Colonia, mistake or not, pretty much gave him the range of a Quirium drive.

Humanity already had one of those but I believe they were retconned from Elite Lore: Quirium Drives. I believe Jacques could be one such owner of one (still) lol. His jumping of his megaship to Colonia, mistake or not, pretty much gave him the range of a Quirium drive.
One thing the Quirium drives didn't have was range - a Cobra III in the original Elite had a range of 7 LY, which even a stock E-rated FSD will do better than nowadays.

There are quite a few conventional megaships in the game which move at a similar speed to Jaques' jump - and given that we don't know exactly how long it took him, it's entirely possible it wasn't any faster than the pace a Fleet Carrier can manage.

Ok, I've just tested this myself, I'm using a heavy Cobra with a G4 LE PP, times between 23% heat (max throttle before SCO) and 100% heat were:

13.65s @ 30HZ
10.35s @ 60HZ
I’ve measured the time from ≈60% to ≈90% with this build in deep space, and the approximate times were:
5.7s @ 30 Hz
3.5s @ 60 Hz
Can post a video if asked.
If anyone submits a new report please link here as well so we may vote it.
Done: https://issues.frontierstore.net/issue-detail/64211

It's been quite some time since we've gotten a new FSD. Maybe someone can tell me how the situation of interception of a person by a person has changed (if it has changed), in 3 variants:
1. The victim and the attacker both have a SCO
2. The victim has an SCO and the attacker does not.
3. the attacker has a SCO and the victim does not.

So rather this engine is specially designed for Odyssey (legs) and will not get any improvements !
No? I have been playing Horizons for 2+ years and am regularly planetside.

What I love about being a Colonia resident: Ignorance is bliss.

Playing the "grind game" was getting very old. Alas! For the past 8 months (?), I've lived in a place where new things don't come and new things don't happen!
I have already several A-class FSDs of all shapes and sizes, some engineered for long range, others shielded. The same with pretty much every other component. Especially shield gens. They keep adding more of the same, instead of just adding new engineering effects. For instance, why did we need Modified Guardian gauss, Modified shards, and an Advanced Xeno scanner (just to name a few)? Couldn't they have all just been engineered? Instead of throwing new assets at the game for the sake of unlocking? The grind is a lot more dynamic, when engineering and credits is all one has to worry about. You can get mats and credits from the things that go "boom!" Instead of:

12x Micro-weave cooling hoses
33x Teeth of a tooth fairy (yes, they have 33...I've seen them, I think)
5x heart of a dying magnetar
1x Written original transcript from Drew Wagar
18x Proto heat rads
10x Wake exceptions

...All in addition to eventual engineering. I was really starting to loath anything new be added to the game with the current presentation of "all things new being added to the video game."

One thing the Quirium drives didn't have was range - a Cobra III in the original Elite had a range of 7 LY, which even a stock E-rated FSD will do better than nowadays.

There are quite a few conventional megaships in the game which move at a similar speed to Jaques' jump - and given that we don't know exactly how long it took him, it's entirely possible it wasn't any faster than the pace a Fleet Carrier can manage.
I thought I remember hearing that Quirium drives could be modified to jump across the galaxy? That would effectively make it a Thargoid drive, which it emulated. Thargoids basically being the Masters Of The Universe! LOL Yeah that was a He-Man reference.

I thought I remember hearing that Quirium drives could be modified to jump across the galaxy?
There was the "Galactic Hyperdrive" as an expensive one-use item to move you between "galactic charts". Exactly how far apart these charts were was never really stated (none of the systems from other charts have appeared in the sequels to allow measurements) - they could just have been a few tens of LY apart, or they could have been scattered around the entire galaxy, or they could even have been entirely separate galaxies.

Top Bottom