ANNOUNCEMENT Gamescom Reveals - Fleet Carrier Details

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
But when would you actually see the jump we saw in the trailer?

Because if that isn't shown every time, I riot.

Dunno.

If I'm right, no. After a jump, you'll log in (after the server tick) and you'll be at the new location.

If I'm wrong and we can jump-on-demand, we mortals can't enter the bridge on carriers so......what would we see? Best bet could be to switch to external view while the carrier group makes the jump.

Not sure if this universe is big enough to contain the salt generated if a clear-save on a carrier dumps the ships within it back to Sol, or where-ever. What if that carrier is on the other side of the galaxy and the carrier owner says "screw this" and clears save?

As for retaining cargo, you know what the general response to that would be, "why can't stations do that?" ....and given the sheer size of stations compared to carriers, that would be an excellent question.
Salt, yeah, but it's directed at the owner, not so much at FD. It's a clear and published effect. Itonly affects stored ships. The commanders would still be 300kly away in their current ship. Or maybe they get the option to relocate back to Sol, it's a long way to fly a fighter.

There's two excellent reasons why stations can't store ships with cargo.
  1. (out of game) It damages Power Play and distorts the BGS
  2. (in game) There's no insurance that will cover the cargo. No station can afford the risk. ED is a dangerous place and a ship full of cargo is a tempting target. Ships get stolen all the time. Mosty they are vaporised before they make the mail slot and then insurance covers a replacement. That makes it such a risky endevour that it's relatively rare. But cargo can be pilfered quietly and piece by piece. The cost of insurance is prohibitive and no station carries it.

As I've said in another place, I agree with you but I think that ships docked on carriers will be able to retain their cargo.

That neatly side-steps every one of your issues except for one: someone can run off with your ship because you cannot transfer it with cargo in. OTOH, if the owner clears save, then just dump the ships in the starter station, (not the nearest because that might be useful.)

In fact that is a good workaround for stollen ships too. There's one station in the bubble that allows transfers with cargo from carriers, and it's immune to PP.

Having cargo only on ships provides a neat and rational limit to it. Fleet carriers are much less danger to BGS than on-station storage becuase they are much more fiddly and the sale has to be in multipe transactions.

The thing with clear save is that it starts you off as a new player with nothing other than a few credits and a free Sidewinder so there will be no carrier or fleet of ships or cargo to worry about.

The thing with clear save is that it starts you off as a new player with nothing other than a few credits and a free Sidewinder so there will be no carrier or fleet of ships or cargo to worry about.

Unless you're docked on someone else's fleet carrier when they decide to clear their save, presumably.

Hello everyone,

In a similar fashion to our Lavecon 2019 reveals, we wanted to give all of you who couldn't join us at our Gamescom Frontier Community Meet a rundown of all the details that just dropped... or should we say hauled in here by the aid of... a Fleet Carrier!

December Update - The FLEET CARRIER Update

The news you've been waiting for... Fleet Carriers.

Take a peek below at the initial details about Fleet Carriers, coming as the December Update.

Ownership
  • Purchasable with a large amount of credits.
  • One Fleet Carrier per Commander. Available for base game and Horizons players.

Capacity
  • Fleet Carriers have a total of 16 Landing Pads, composed of:
    • 8 Large
    • 4 Medium
    • 4 Small
  • Set permissions to allow others to dock at your Fleet Carrier.

Operations
  • All Fleet Carriers feature rearm, refuel and repair services.
  • Commanders can choose a number of loadouts for their Fleet Carrier, governing services/module and ship availability to support a number of different activities, such as:
    • Bounty Hunter
    • Mercenary
    • Pirate
    • Trader
    • Smuggler
    • Miner
    • Explorer
    • Search and Rescue

Travel
  • 500 LY jump range (per jump)
  • Schedule jumps from the Galaxy Map when you want and from wherever you are in the galaxy.
  • Commanders require a unique resource to fuel the Fleet Carrier in order for it to jump.

We'll be delving deeper into Fleet Carriers and all they can do in upcoming livestreams and forum posts later this year!

September Update

For those of you who have been stranded out in the black and somehow missed it, here's also a super-duper QUICK recap of the September Update.
  • This year's updates are focused on improving the starter experience for new commanders. We're adding a fully-voiced, in-game, in-ship tutorial, covering the basics of space flight, combat, traveling and scanning. Also, this experience is available in all of our in-game supported languages! Speaking of you veterans, you'll be able to access this from your right-hand panel at any time so you won't even need to wipe your save!
  • In addition, we'll be reworking and rebranding what some of you might know as Frontier Points, introducing them as Arx. These Arx will be purchasable and used to buy Game Extras such as Paint Jobs, Ship Kits, Bobbleheads and more. What's great about Arx is that you will be able to earn them in-game by... simply playing the game!
The September Update will be launched 18 September for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One!

Fly safe, Commanders!

Unless you're docked on someone else's fleet carrier when they decide to clear their save, presumably.
Many years ago, I went to a back street garage to have my RD 250 engine re-bored to 400, one of the balance weights in the crank had moved and the result had scored the one of the barrels, I left the bike for a couple of weeks and go a phone call it was ready, I wasn't, I had no money, so I held off another month, on trying to contact them my calls weren't getting through, I later visited the premises and they had ceased trading, my bike along with all other junk had been auctioned... it got complicated so I took it on the chin, so...
If the guvnor clears save without telling you he was the wrong person to play with! you gotta be prepared to take it on the chin!

So, after reading through comments a bit, I'm fairly convinced we wont be able to transfer ships to a fleet carrier. I did see someone suggest there may be a special kind of shipyard, but one in which you cant buy new ships. Is that just a hope? Or is that something official from FDev?

I'd love if the carriers can do ship transfers, but until I see it officially, I have to revert to my theory that the current engine just cant handle this kind of thing. Can any engine handle it? Maybe not!

Will I save up and buy one, anyways? Yup.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
If we can't transfer ships to Carriers then those with altCMDRs (at a cost on PC; free on consoles) will still be able to dock them on the Carrier.

So, after reading through comments a bit, I'm fairly convinced we wont be able to transfer ships to a fleet carrier. I did see someone suggest there may be a special kind of shipyard, but one in which you cant buy new ships. Is that just a hope? Or is that something official from FDev?

I'd love if the carriers can do ship transfers, but until I see it officially, I have to revert to my theory that the current engine just cant handle this kind of thing. Can any engine handle it? Maybe not!

Will I save up and buy one, anyways? Yup.

I think it would defeat the purpose of a player's fleet carrier if you couldn't call other ships to be docked there.

Where in the world did you get that opinion from? It's clear there's only one carrier in the trailer and docking is external same as an outpost.

Will Fleet Carriers also function as the spawn point upon death as with stations if the Fleet Carrier was the ship's last docking point?

I've just watched the video again a few times and stopped it a few times, but there are still things I can't understand, perhaps I'm looking at it in a too simplified way...

What are support vessels?
Why are there (seemingly) three different designs?
Do we need them?
Are they free with every FC purchase made? (one per commander)
Who drives them?
Will it follow me around like a faithful puppy?
Wouldn't it have been a better idea to have the FC support itself with a detachable standard module? (less design work)
If I buy an FC for Exploration purposes and decide I want to change my vocation to a Merchant/Miner/Pirate/Whatever will I have to change my Support vessel?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom