Get Rid of the Limpet/Planetary Vehicle Hanger redux

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I'll C&P this over into Suggestions, but I want this out here for people to see.

You read right - I said get rid of the Limpet.
No more Limpets in our cargo holds.

Instead, rework the Limpet Controller to function like a Fighter Hanger, and produce Limpets as needed.
Give each controller a "charge", similar to the fighter hanger or AFMU, something like this:

Number of Limpets Controlled:Limpet Charge:Intermediate Restock:Advanced Restock:

So a Limpet Controller than can control 1 limpet, produces 1 limpet at a time, and can produce 10 limpets before requiring Restocking (synthesis), or restocking at a station.
An Intermediate Restock (synthesis) would "over charge" the controller and allow it to produce 20 limpets before requiring Restocking.
I'd even accept Intermediate and Advanced Synthesis doing some modular damage as a result of the "over charge".

And everyone would, I'm sure, find this a vastly better solution to what we have, or even what have proposed right now.

And that brings us to the Planetary Vehicle Hanger...

If fighter hangers can produce new fighters when the fighters are destroyed, why in the names of all that Are, can PVH's not produce new SRV's? I get it, SRV's are cheap and "disposable", unless you're 1000 Ly from the nearest station and suffer an SRV mishap. And sure, that's where a multi-vehicle hanger comes in handy, but, again, if Fighter Hangers can produce replacement fighters, then the SRV hangers are in need of an update to allow them to do the same.

Plain old common sense at work.

Your Thoughts?

Frontier - Your Thoughts?

This has been brought up before. I tend to agree - projectile weapons have ammo and we aren't required to carry ammo in cargo slots. So why not limpets? I'd go further and say that limpets should be craftable in the same way that you can replenish ammo, if you have the right materials on hand...

This has been brought up before. I tend to agree - projectile weapons have ammo and we aren't required to carry ammo in cargo slots. So why not limpets? I'd go further and say that limpets should be craftable in the same way that you can replenish ammo, if you have the right materials on hand...

Limpets *WILL* be craftable in 2.4, this has been confirmed. They may still be cargo though, we don't know yet.

Big ole +1 (again... +2?) from me.

I do not like Limpets being cargo, and I'd like SRVs, SLFs and Limpets to use the same lore method of creation. Not 3 separate things for no reason. :p

CMDR Cosmic Spacehead

Love the idea!

Having limpets as an internal printable resource in the controller is really neat.

Would allow pilots to have a collector, fuel and prospector controllers in a ship and each produce their own limpets.

I also think that SRV's should be printable, and the larger SRV module be able to house 2, like the larger SLF bays.

if only FDev would develope SRV's like fighter variants so you could have base assault variants (no cargo and bigger guns), standard (as they are)and material gathering variants (extra cargo and no gun).

Love the idea!

Having limpets as an internal printable resource in the controller is really neat.

Would allow pilots to have a collector, fuel and prospector controllers in a ship and each produce their own limpets.

I also think that SRV's should be printable, and the larger SRV module be able to house 2, like the larger SLF bays.

if only FDev would develope SRV's like fighter variants so you could have base assault variants (no cargo and bigger guns), standard (as they are)and material gathering variants (extra cargo and no gun).

Extra cargo, no gun.. might make cargo-collection a bit difficult, as many good legal salvage sites have skimmer infestations buzzing around them like files.
And while it is amusing, at least once, to barrel into cargo containers full speed and send them flying out of a Trespass Zone, right under those pesky skimmers, finding them again, especially on low-gravity worlds.. well... that can suck.

Extra cargo, no gun.. might make cargo-collection a bit difficult, as many good legal salvage sites have skimmer infestations buzzing around them like files.
And while it is amusing, at least once, to barrel into cargo containers full speed and send them flying out of a Trespass Zone, right under those pesky skimmers, finding them again, especially on low-gravity worlds.. well... that can suck.
I chased a load of containers down a crater for about 3km once. High gravity can suck too. :p

I think we need 3 SRVs.

The current one. All rounder.
A utility one, unarmed, higher cargo capacity, repair tool. Slow.
And an Assault one. No cargo, good shields, 2 plasma repeaters, and 2 tiny missile launchers. Slowish.

I chased a load of containers down a crater for about 3km once. High gravity can suck too. :p

I think we need 3 SRVs.

The current one. All rounder.
A utility one, unarmed, higher cargo capacity, repair tool. Slow.
And an Assault one. No cargo, good shields, 2 plasma repeaters, and 2 tiny missile launchers. Slowish.

I'd love some more SRV options - I'd even welcome a player-controlled Skimmer as an option.
SRV's for Research - improved scanners, a drilling rig to break rocks and take core samples
SRV Outfitting would be great too - let us change out their weapons - single or dual repeaters, missiles as an option with a single - so many possibilities.

If I was to guess, I would say Planetary Vehicle Hangers will be updated to be like the Fighter Bay Hangers, ie printing SRVs, when there are multiple SRVs to give purpose to multiply bays

The only problem I have with the posts in this thread is that it's spelled "hangar". >____> "Hangers" are for shirts, not vessels.

Other than that I support de-cargoing limpets into a more sensible form.

I'd be ok with it. Part of the fun/longevity of the game is the fact that you have to re-outfit to do different things. They could feasibly just go absurd and put all items into the AMFU, create anything you need. That just shunts the need to outfit specifically for your task, or to sacrifice slots when you think you're going to do everything from Jameson on out but end up having a hodgepodge of mods (hodgemodge) and you cannot really do anything as well as you'd like. You need to outfit for mining, and basically nothing else, just to mine (as it should be).

I'll adapt to either method though.

+ Support

This would give some justification to class 5 limpet controllers.

I also like the idea of disposable SRVs like SLFs. The "H" class ones could have a few extra re-builds to justify the mass.

I don't like it. But then I don't like the 3d printed fighters, either. Or synthesis for that matter. It's all pretty ad-hoc and stupid, reducing everything to tokens and counters like it's a collectible card game or something. Limpets taking up space in the cargo hold at least makes sense, as do SRVs taking up space in an SRV bay. I think things should have weight and volume. Also in the case of limpets it's handy to be able to dump them out of the cargo hold so that a wingmate can pick them up.

I don't like it. But then I don't like the 3d printed fighters, either. Or synthesis for that matter. It's all pretty ad-hoc and stupid, reducing everything to tokens and counters like it's a collectible card game or something. Limpets taking up space in the cargo hold at least makes sense, as do SRVs taking up space in an SRV bay. I think things should have weight and volume. Also in the case of limpets it's handy to be able to dump them out of the cargo hold so that a wingmate can pick them up.

SRV's would still have mass and take up space - you'd still have to have one, fully assembled in your hangar to be able to deploy it - just like a fighter.
But if you destroy it, it would be reconstructed, over a period of time, just like fighters. Each Fighter Hangar has enough "spare parts" to rebuild 8 fighters.
No reason an SRV hangar couldn't do the exact same.

Synthesis though... it's one of those "makes sense" sort of things. Consider - if you have enough carbon, Potassium nitrate and sulfur, you've got everything you need to make (synthesize) black powder. A bit of oxidized iron (rust) and powdered aluminum, and you've synthesized thermite.

I'll C&P this over into Suggestions, but I want this out here for people to see.

And that brings us to the Planetary Vehicle Hanger...

If fighter hangers can produce new fighters when the fighters are destroyed, why in the names of all that Are, can PVH's not produce new SRV's? I get it, SRV's are cheap and "disposable", unless you're 1000 Ly from the nearest station and suffer an SRV mishap. And sure, that's where a multi-vehicle hanger comes in handy, but, again, if Fighter Hangers can produce replacement fighters, then the SRV hangers are in need of an update to allow them to do the same.

Plain old common sense at work.

Your Thoughts?

Frontier - Your Thoughts?

I have a question about this part. The fighters are in fact considered telepresence UAVs according to ED lore. No life support needed, or escape capsule, etc. Are the SRVs also considered telepresence? Or are they considered actually manned? If the latter, then it's a bit more involved to make them, I'd feel, and that's probably why you can't just casually print one.

I don't know how the lore treats SRVs in this regard, though, but maybe someone else knows?

I'm sure FD is going to give you some sort of 'balance issue' reply to that.

1sf65j.jpg

I wouldnt mind them as cargo so much if we only needed one controller for both collection & fuel. I see so many distress call USS and feel bad for those poor npc pilots I have to leave stranded due to lack of slots. ��

Stealthie

Banned
Personally, I'm a bit on the fence over this.

It's definitely a superior system but having some kind of self-contained "limpet generator" is also going to remove a lot of the design and planning that's currently required.
Instead, it'll just be a case of "bung a small limpet generator in an empty slot in case I ever need it".

I'd like to say some balance could be retained by making a basic limpet controller cheap and making a fancy limpet generator expensive but I doubt lack of credits is often much of a factor in people's buying decision.

It'll certainly be better, for me, to just be able to bung a heap of limpet generators in my mining T9 but I can't help thinking that some of the nuance and thought currently required will be lost.

Perhaps the limpet generators could be made to use valuable engineering materials which could be better used elsewhere?
That might force people to think carefully about using them.
That being the case, maybe it'd be desirable to make the limpet generator so it could also control pre-purchased limpets like a regular controller?
You fit 3 limpet generators and stock up with regular limpets.
You go mining/scavenging/pirating and burn though all your stock of limpets and then you can use engineering materials to generate a few new ones and finish collecting your haul.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom