getting ganked isn't fun

yea, what a surprise?!

i recently decided to play open exclusively. i don't pvp. i know and i accepted the fact that i can get ganked by other players. when i went to deciat today, i knew there are players specifically aiming to gank other players. i knew that. i got interdicted and got killed. but it made me realize something that i didn't before. this was actually the first time another player, actually it was two players, killed me.

the realization was that getting ganked simply isn't fun. for either side i would presume.

first the interdiction. maybe there was a little bit of excitement at the beginning. but quickly it was very clear that i couldn't escape.

ok, then i need run away. so, i put everything into engines and shields and boosted away. didn't help. then i charged my fsd to jump to a different system. was interrupted. could i have done something against that? i don't know. then i was completely disabled and shot down by the two other players.

the entire encounter was me flying forward, boosting until i was disabled. then i had to wait a couple of seconds to get blown up.

i lost 7m credits and 5-10 minutes. wasn't fun in any way for me and i was wondering, was it fun on the other side? because i didn't stand a chance. i didn't fight back and i couldn't do anything against the interruption attacks and i couldn't do anything against all my modules being disabled.

first and foremost i want to have fun in the game. and even though i do accept the fact that i can get ganked by other players, it's simply not a fun experience. so, now what? i will avoid playing open until i figured out a way how i can get fun out of this experience.

any suggestions would be much appreciated. also interested to hear the other side of the story. is it fun to gank? how do gank encounters usually look like for you? do some actually decide to fight back? do they stand a chance? i suppose no.
It's actually very dependent on the result: it's fun if you don't get killed, and even manage to torment you attackers a bit before jumping away, much less so if you die in a few seconds. If you want to know what you need to do to survive, plenty of people will help, then you can pick and choose: don't feel like it today? Go solo. Got a ship that needs testing? There are people who will help.

Serious answer... Years ago I played PVP games almost exclusively, including some MMOs that supported open-world PVP. In those games, a group of us (real life friends and those we met gaming online) would play together and attack other players. In one game (EQ2), that was team vs team (evil versus good) and it was pretty much the entire purpose of the server so we engaged in PVP mercilessly. In that game, there were level restrictions (-8 levels) so you couldn't attack someone if they were under level 10 or lower than -8 levels compared to you. There were safe locations of course. But out in the wilds, it was open season and we attacked anyone we could (from -8 to level 70 - we "locked" our levels at 25 because that was where the best PVP was). The other game I recall was Age of Conan. That wasn't team based, it was just open FFA. Quite savage. Any levels, no level locks.

The thing is, we attacked anyone. We imposed rules on ourselves (no camping re-spawns, only attack them if they attack you first and similar rules) but otherwise, if you were attackable then you were game. At the peak time of the game when it was very busy, it was some of the most fun I've ever had. I didn't care if our target was green, blue, white, yellow, orange or red (signified the comparative levels of the target). It was always fun. Always.

But as things got quiet, things changed and Age of Conan is a good example of this. Sadly, the initial popularity of that game waned fast due to various failings of the dev. Slowly, the number of instances dropped from 20+ to just 1. And, slowly after that, the number of targets in our favourite hunting grounds dwindled. We stuck around for a while but, during that time, I would liken our PVP encounters to something similar to Deciat... Barely any targets for PVP and so you just go to the busiest spot you can and...

take what you can.

Was it fun for us? Significantly less so compared to when we had an abundance of targets. Eventualy, I quit both games to do something else.

So I am certain that those who love PVP in Elite would much prefer things to be different and I am sure most of the PVP players who hang about Deciat would prefer it if there was more emergent, frequent PVP all over the galaxy. But there's probably not. I imagine Deciat will be pretty quiet during CZ CG weeks...

Sometimes, it helps to have perspective in these things. Absolutely, yes, there will be some weirdos that just enjoy seal clubbing - that sort is innevitable in all walks of life. But I am willing to bet they're not the typical PVP player in Elite. And I am sure whoever took you down would probably be content if you were a target that might actually fight back. But, beggars can't be choosers.

With all my experience of PVP in other games, Elite is not one that I'd ever choose to bother with PVP. It requires a certain excessive level of dedication and it's just not designed well for open-world PVP whatsoever. Not compared to other games I've played. Not compared to most games I've played actually.

Okay, so, this is what rings bells for me. If you boost in a straight line (or try to line up on your destination as soon as you start charging your drive and fly towards it) then you're a predictable target. FSD resets are dumbfire missiles, which are easy to land on something that's stationary or moving in a straight line, but a pain to tag on someone that's actively evading - missiles have a different flight profile to other weapons too since they don't inherit the firing ship's velocity, which means that if they're using fixed weapons then they can't easily line up on you with the missiles and their other weapons at the same time unless they're right on top of you.

While you're charging your drive, don't just run for your destination, boost at the person attacking you. Basically, you want to force them to turn to keep their aim on you. When your drive's charged and you get that "ready to engage" notification, then even if you're flying backwards it'll only take a single boost to get you into the countdown.
thanks. that's the kind of advice i was looking for.

not designed well for open-world PVP whatsoever.

in my experience, playing other traditional mmorpg's, the only one that had decent open world pvp was warhammer online. it had areas on the map specifically designed for open world pvp. it was basically a zone within a zone. but open. anyone and everyone could join at any time. objectives would reset at certain intervals. this game was really designed around open pvp. it also had decent pve on top. overall underrated game i would presume. anyways, all the other games that had open world pvp never worked. it's always an unbalanced, unfair mess.

Last edited:
Serious answer... Years ago I played PVP games almost exclusively, including some MMOs that supported open-world PVP. In those games, a group of us (real life friends and those we met gaming online) would play together and attack other players. In one game (EQ2), that was team vs team (evil versus good) and it was pretty much the entire purpose of the server so we engaged in PVP mercilessly. In that game, there were level restrictions (-8 levels) so you couldn't attack someone if they were under level 10 or lower than -8 levels compared to you. There were safe locations of course. But out in the wilds, it was open season and we attacked anyone we could (from -8 to level 70 - we "locked" our levels at 25 because that was where the best PVP was). The other game I recall was Age of Conan. That wasn't team based, it was just open FFA. Quite savage. Any levels, no level locks.

The thing is, we attacked anyone. We imposed rules on ourselves (no camping re-spawns, only attack them if they attack you first and similar rules) but otherwise, if you were attackable then you were game. At the peak time of the game when it was very busy, it was some of the most fun I've ever had. I didn't care if our target was green, blue, white, yellow, orange or red (signified the comparative levels of the target). It was always fun. Always.

But as things got quiet, things changed and Age of Conan is a good example of this. Sadly, the initial popularity of that game waned fast due to various failings of the dev. Slowly, the number of instances dropped from 20+ to just 1. And, slowly after that, the number of targets in our favourite hunting grounds dwindled. We stuck around for a while but, during that time, I would liken our PVP encounters to something similar to Deciat... Barely any targets for PVP and so you just go to the busiest spot you can and...

take what you can.

Was it fun for us? Significantly less so compared to when we had an abundance of targets. Eventualy, I quit both games to do something else.

So I am certain that those who love PVP in Elite would much prefer things to be different and I am sure most of the PVP players who hang about Deciat would prefer it if there was more emergent, frequent PVP all over the galaxy. But there's probably not. I imagine Deciat will be pretty quiet during CZ CG weeks...

Sometimes, it helps to have perspective in these things. Absolutely, yes, there will be some weirdos that just enjoy seal clubbing - that sort is innevitable in all walks of life. But I am willing to bet they're not the typical PVP player in Elite. And I am sure whoever took you down would probably be content if you were a target that might actually fight back. But, beggars can't be choosers.

With all my experience of PVP in other games, Elite is not one that I'd ever choose to bother with PVP. It requires a certain excessive level of dedication and it's just not designed well for open-world PVP whatsoever. Not compared to other games I've played. Not compared to most games I've played actually.
Dark Souls 1&2 and original COD:Black Ops were my pvp favourites. Absolutely loved it...
You fought, you died, you immediately re-spawned and got straight back stuck in...

The pace of ED just doesn’t support that for me, in the past I’ve had a little fun over in CQC as that forces everyone on to a fairly even playing field but the main game not so much.

To be honest I think ED struggles to support co-op as well. I winged up with a CMDR over the weekend and it wasn’t exactly smooth going.

@OP
I don’t really have any advice for you other than to review your reasons for playing in open if you’re not going to pvp.

If you’re looking for a richer experience involving other players then I’d suggest getting involved with a squadron of like minded cmdr’s. Or simply come on the forums here and ask if anyone fancies winging up and playing for a bit in a private group. Absolutely no harm in that...

But just playing in open for the sake of it and tootling along exactly the same way as you would do in solo...? I just don’t see the point, the only real interaction you’re likely to find is what you’ve just experienced (rebuy) and of course the odd 07...

I dont find it fun, I just put up with it as the price for the 'benefits' that I personally get out of Open, not saying anybody else should play Open or that they will find it better in any way. Solo & PG are better and more 'beneficial' for those players who dont want Open. Each to their own.

But my best chance of random encounters is in Open, so for me, its a chore to get ganked but thats all it is. But they havent killed me in ages either, in the Asp, the T9 or anything else so it is just a nuisance interruption. Meanwhile I blew myself up last week in the FDL after turning on Silent Running by mistake and forgetting how to turn it off in battle with an NPC, just overheated. I dont need players to kill me I can still do that myself.

Pirates and other players on the other hand offer a wealth of gameplay. I cant have this without the occasional nuisance interdiction. So its just a bother I put up with.

Again, choose the mode that suits you. We both keep the game funded and going and thats all I care about, I am selfish like that, thats all that matters to me.

This whole game is a dichotomy of being a meaningless speck on a telepresence power fantasy. As the sim aspects fade the game aspects support more meaningless PvP over RPing. Seal clubbing is the very definition of a power fantasy.
Oth consensual piracy seems ridiculous to me.
Nothing wrong with a duel but the sim side of me thinks of it as a rich-boy's sports car demolition derby. The exception, not the rule.
None of the proposed comprimises favor the sim aspects of the game.
I dont consider myself a PvPer but I always fly open. Been ganked a couple times. I consider it a feature. Set your skill development to your expectations, set your expectations according to the realities of open.
If I ever manage to win a fight I'll let you know how that feels.
Until then some systems are spicier than others and a hollow square increases my heartrate. That's how I like it.
It's really easy to troll them too. Use a Viper with the biggest interdictor you can and just pull them over repeatedly. Your rebuy is so low you can just use them as interdiction practice. Try to land at the main station so you respawn there.

Last edited:
Someone complains about ganking and gives the ganker 36 pages.

They have to love all that attention.

They don't even have to login here to get that love.....

Block or solo solves this.

I was in Deciat recently and was jumped immediately upon entering the system by a squad of 'professionals', a couple on the most wanted list there in fact were in attendance and I still managed to escape, then I turned around and went back to Deciat and escaped from them all again just for some giggles, 'no matter who' interdicts you getting away is always doable, lots of tips on YouTube on the subject actually, good info when playing ED in open and open play IMO 'is the only real way to play'.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
yea, what a surprise?!

i recently decided to play open exclusively. i don't pvp. i know and i accepted the fact that i can get ganked by other players. when i went to deciat today, i knew there are players specifically aiming to gank other players. i knew that. i got interdicted and got killed. but it made me realize something that i didn't before. this was actually the first time another player, actually it was two players, killed me.

the realization was that getting ganked simply isn't fun. for either side i would presume.

first the interdiction. maybe there was a little bit of excitement at the beginning. but quickly it was very clear that i couldn't escape.

ok, then i need run away. so, i put everything into engines and shields and boosted away. didn't help. then i charged my fsd to jump to a different system. was interrupted. could i have done something against that? i don't know. then i was completely disabled and shot down by the two other players.

the entire encounter was me flying forward, boosting until i was disabled. then i had to wait a couple of seconds to get blown up.

i lost 7m credits and 5-10 minutes. wasn't fun in any way for me and i was wondering, was it fun on the other side? because i didn't stand a chance. i didn't fight back and i couldn't do anything against the interruption attacks and i couldn't do anything against all my modules being disabled.

first and foremost i want to have fun in the game. and even though i do accept the fact that i can get ganked by other players, it's simply not a fun experience. so, now what? i will avoid playing open until i figured out a way how i can get fun out of this experience.

any suggestions would be much appreciated. also interested to hear the other side of the story. is it fun to gank? how do gank encounters usually look like for you? do some actually decide to fight back? do they stand a chance? i suppose no.

Use the block function. Filter out players who you don't enjoy playing the game with.

Unfortunately you have to have the bad experience first, but at least you'll know these people are not worth bothering with.

Block function will ensure that you won't be put in the same instance with them again (unless you have mutual people on the friends list and they are present, in other words friends list > block).

Works like a charm.

Alternatively, choose to play in solo in "hot" systems.

Players that prey on you are not worth playing with, imo.

Drop chaff and heat sinks and NEVER fly in a straight line.
So you say i need to add those modules to ship ? :D I have heatthinks ONLY on extra range explorer, just because. Other ships are fine for anything in solo without hs. And now if I want to log in open I must install hs? :D

Top Bottom