Getting the Best DK2/CV1/Vive VR Experience: Guide/Compendium

Good thread and some solid information.

I tried the color modifications last night and it looks pretty slick, I find that DSR causes my RIFt to flicker. I am using 2x 980's (G1 Gaming Editions) so I'm not sure if SLI is causing it.

Ill give that a shot thanks, ive always been intrested in the asps

Yeah man, and please stick your name down on the VR Wings thread. If you are this into getting the game beautiful, is there a chance you'd be interested in a deep space exploration run? If so, get the A5 FSD on your Asp, as well as advanced discovery scanner and detailed surface scanner and let me know. I have a few places in mind

Good thread and some solid information.

I tried the color modifications last night and it looks pretty slick, I find that DSR causes my RIFt to flicker. I am using 2x 980's (G1 Gaming Editions) so I'm not sure if SLI is causing it.

Thanks!

Have you tried the core-unparking? That's been associated with flicker

Yeah man, and please stick your name down on the VR Wings thread. If you are this into getting the game beautiful, is there a chance you'd be interested in a deep space exploration run? If so, get the A5 FSD on your Asp, as well as advanced discovery scanner and detailed surface scanner and let me know. I have a few places In mind

Ya man that sounds awesome I'm all for that I've been wanting to do some exploring I'm pretty immune to the FSD boredom alot complain about, most of my in game stuff I've done has been combat / bounty related and perfecting combat with flight assist off. So I'm a little newer to exploration and trading. And I've yet to take the time to figure a good way to navigate the universe map in the DK2.

I put my other ships on hold and am going to start working towards the asp. Finally have a day off tomorrow works been consuming most my life lately.

Hi drkaii

To help improve the experience of configuring the settings for SweetFX - could you highlight the changes you made so that they are easier to spot?

Thank you - I was going up and down all the settings thinking I had missed something important - thank you for such a quick response!

You're welcome. If you want, you can use the SweetFX Configuration tool (official), just put the files in the normal way, then run the tool and add ED. It will automatically read the files you've already put and give you a GUI for manipulating them. You'll see that only SMAA and LumaSharpen are ticked and will be able to read the adjustments immediately.

Last edited:
You're welcome. If you want, you can use the SweetFX Configuration tool (official), just put the files in the normal way, then run the tool and add ED. It will automatically read the files you've already put and give you a GUI for manipulating them. You'll see that only SMAA and LumaSharpen are ticked and will be able to read the adjustments immediately.

I am using SweetFX 1.4 and it mentions 1.5 do I need to download 1.5 or will 1.4 work with the configuration tool?

99% sure the answer is yes it will work backwards. 100% you lose nothing by trying

Last edited:
99% sure the answer is yes it will work backwards. 100% you lose nothing by trying

Thanks for highlighting the changes you personally make to the SweetFX settings MUCH easier to see - and your comments just make it a richer experience!

I downloaded the Configuration tool and then uninstalled it as I preferred the 1.4 version only.

Thank you for your dedication in making the Rift a richer experience! And it certainly is with all the work you have done.

Thanks for highlighting the changes you personally make to the SweetFX settings MUCH easier to see - and your comments just make it a richer experience!

I downloaded the Configuration tool and then uninstalled it as I preferred the 1.4 version only.

Thank you for your dedication in making the Rift a richer experience! And it certainly is with all the work you have done.

Hey man, you're most welcome! Really didn't take that long but I'm very very happy it has helped you and about 3000 others (well, that's views for the thread). This is the kinda stuff that makes me happy

This was awesome. I unparked my CPU, changed the U/I color to green, and enabled adaptive v-sync. I've also enabled on my GPU kboost. Overall, I'm getting really sharp image (I CAN READ THE TEXT WITHOUT LEANING IN!) and very smooth gameplay. I never thought it would be this awesome. I have to give you props to ShaveIceBaby and drkaii. I cross posted this on reddit stuff. http://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/2zy9pp/getting_the_best_dk2_vr_experience_for_ed/

Oh and this is all on i7 4770K @4.2ghz and GTX 980

mmmk i have figured out after 60 plus hours of attempting to get the perfect dk2 experience out of elite how to get zero stutter. yes in res sites and stations. it works for me and i really hope it works for others as well.

my specs are as follows

gtx 980 stock
samsung ssd with elite installed on it
12 gb ddr 1600 ram
i7 4770k 3.4 ghz stock
saitek x52 / buttkicker/ voice attack / dk

first off this is my preset for the HUD it makes the game imo perfect, dark red enemies and visible green hud

<MatrixRed> 0, 0.35, 0 </MatrixRed>
<MatrixGreen> 0.04, 0.03, 0 </MatrixGreen>
<MatrixBlue> 1, 0, 0 </MatrixBlue>

now bare with me through this nonsense i promise you i've been playing for 5 days without stutter besides the occasional when a planet loads in in supercruise. no in station stutter no crowded res site stutter and no navpoint stutter for me.

all settings max
no in game dsr
no in game AA
3840x2160 (nvidia dsr 4x) KEEP READING NO SCAM
oculus quality all the way down

that resolution 3840x2160 with the oculus quality down produces a much clearer and much smoother experience than 2560x1440 with quality up. its mind blowing but with the nvidia control panel stuff i'm going to show you it just works... trust me it took me 5 days of making sure i wasn't crazy to come tell you about it lol.

now this can work with nvidia control panel and these are just my settings that work for me i can't test with amd's ccc
but this is my following settings in the manage 3d setting tab of nvidia control panel i made a profile for elitedangerous.exe not elite launcher but the launcher will start the exe per normal.

under manage 3d settings

ambient occlusion "not supported"
anisotropic filtering "16x"
fxaa "not supported"
aa gamma correction "ON"
aa mode "overide any app settings"
aa setting "8x"
aa transparency "8x super sample"
cuda gpus "use global setting (all)"
maximum pre rendered frames "1"
multiframe sampled aa (mfaa) "ON"
multi display/mixed gpu acceleration "Single Display performance mode"
power management mode "Prefer maximum performance"
Preferred refresh rate "Use global setting (application-controlled)"
Shader Cache "ON"
Texture filtering - anisotopic sample "ON"
Texture filtering - Negative LOD bias "Clamp"
Texture filtering - Quality "High performance"
Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization "ON"
Threaded optimization "Auto"
Triple buffering "On"
Vertical Sync "On"
Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames "1"

under GLOBAL SETTINGS

dsr "all factors selected"
dsr smoothness "slider 100%"
virtual reality pre-rendered frames "1"

then under CONFIGURE SURROUND,

PhysX tab change physX settings to "CPU"

thats my black magic config i found from messing around with this for days... literally. works wonders for me and hope it works for you guys as well

posting this hear as drkaii's thread is where i started most my research for the perfect dk2 experience.

Holly meatballs this looks soo much better.

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1, 12 GB 1600MHz Ram, SSD and AMD FX-6300. Almost as smooth as butter, looks like a movie. I never want to leave my rift again, it looks insane!

[*]SweetFX: See the OP in this thread and do exactly what it says: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=117345 .

Hmm, can you untangle what he means by:

"Best results will be with 1080p and in game supersampling on 1.5 (good hardware) > then custom res of 1440p on rift > and then native res of 1080p"

This is a bit more excitable than clear- which setting in which bits of software needs to be set to what? :)

Last edited:
Hmm, can you untangle what he means by:

"Best results will be with 1080p and in game supersampling on 1.5 (good hardware) > then custom res of 1440p on rift > and then native res of 1080p"

This is a bit more excitable than clear- which setting in which bits of software needs to be set to what? :)

The sharpening of sweetFX is resolution dependant because sweetfx is post processing meaning that it will work from the image produced by the graphic card, this same image change from the resolution used.

If your computer handle it, prefer 1080p in game resolution and 1.5 supersampling in game. If your comp can't handle you "downgrade" your settings with 1440p (DSR nvidia panel) resolution and 1 supersampling. If your computer still can't handle it then you simply use 1080p (native res of rift) and 1 supersampling in game.
I have limited english skills (not native language), hope it helps you.

Top Bottom