Ghost of Tsushima PC release

Am i the only one that finds the duel really cringey? I mean, those are not shaving cuts - the straw hat should have been dead by 0:42
On the easier difficulties, they are to a degree...but the duels can be testing of timing and patience which is the overall intent rather than absolute realism. As the game progresses, some of the story based duels can be very testing. The straw hats are 5 minor duels to get to the harder boss at the end of them, they're placed all around the map in remote areas too...so no jumping ahead to complete them.

You get that quest from a storyteller at one of the towns at a certain point in the story...if you chose to speak to him at all, it's entirely optional...win a set of armour if you defeat the guy at the end. There's a few missions like that given by storytellers here and there, adds a bit of variety away from the main or secondary story quest lines...there are a lot of those main NPC given quest story lines as you meet various story characters along your journey.

You can also remove all the little white and red attack hint markers...namely, the red ones can't be parried and have to be dodged, the white telltales can be parried and countered...which you see in that duel (not mine BTW). I don't use the telltales since I prefer a cleaner UI and harder fights where you have to watch carefully which attack your opponent is using in order to counter it, makes it a bit tougher :)

Last edited:
On the easier difficulties, they are to a degree...but the duels can be testing of timing and patience which is the overall intent rather than absolute realism. As the game progresses, some of the story based duels can be very testing. The straw hats are 5 minor duels to get to the harder boss at the end of them, they're placed all around the map in remote areas too...so no jumping ahead to complete them.

You get that quest from a storyteller at one of the towns at a certain point in the story...if you chose to speak to him at all, it's entirely optional...win a set of armour if you defeat the guy at the end. There's a few missions like that given by storytellers here and there, adds a bit of variety away from the main or secondary story quest lines...there are a lot of those main NPC given quest story lines as you meet various story characters along your journey.

You can also remove all the little white and red attack hint markers...namely, the red ones can't be parried and have to be dodged, the white telltales can be parried and countered...which you see in that duel (not mine BTW). I don't use the telltales since I prefer a cleaner UI and harder fights where you have to watch carefully which attack your opponent is using in order to counter it, makes it a bit tougher :)
I.. whatnow? Telltales? Like QTE input popup? No thanks. Tried to chop of tentacles in Witcher 2 never seeing those popups. Tell me what needs done and I do it. Tell me to chop tentacle and I chop them and not jump onto them. Tell me to kill octopus and I will try to kill octopus. The tentacles are invulnerable after chopping two, btw. I even found spots where the screen sweeping tentacle would not hurt me. Then I ventured to chop that damn tentacle. I suspected hitbox issues. Bugs, input lag, everything, ANYTHING, but not a fricken QTE popup.

I.. whatnow? Telltales? Like QTE input popup? No thanks. Tried to chop of tentacles in Witcher 2 never seeing those popups. Tell me what needs done and I do it. Tell me to chop tentacle and I chop them and not jump onto them. Tell me to kill octopus and I will try to kill octopus. The tentacles are invulnerable after chopping two, btw. I even found spots where the screen sweeping tentacle would not hurt me. Then I ventured to chop that damn tentacle. I suspected hitbox issues. Bugs, input lag, everything, ANYTHING, but not a fricken QTE popup.
Like I said...you can either have them on or off in the options (like the entire HUD), if you watch those vids I put up, you'll see a brief flash of white or red dot on their hands when enemies attack you...the heavy dudes are always red and basically unblockable, most enemies switch between powerful or standard attacks so you have to change defense on the fly quickly.

It's quite easy to spot when you've played a bit...some folks won't have or when they're being attacked by multiple enemies all at once, it's handy to know as a novice if you need to dodge or parry if you're low on health...and you will be a lot of the time during fights with multiple or strong opponents until you learn the sword techniques to break their guard 🤷‍♂️

It's not like typical QTE press B to dodge or anything, it's quite subtle, just a very small red or white flash on their leading hand just before they strike :)

Like I said...you can either have them on or off in the options (like the entire HUD), if you watch those vids I put up, you'll see a brief flash of white or red dot on their hands when enemies attack you...the heavy dudes are always red, most enemies switch between powerful or standard attacks. Quite easy to spot when you've played a bit...some folks haven't or when they're being attacked by multiple enemies all at once, it's handy to know as a novice if you need to dodge or parry if you're low on health...and you will be a lot of the time during fights with multiple or strong opponents until you learn the sword techniques to break their guard 🤷‍♂️

It's not like typical QTE press B to dodge or anything, it's quite subtle :)
But it's not like block to right when dude swings to left? I can manage in Bannerlord 2 after practicing but a whole game of that? Timed blocks is usually not good either. A tale of suck and fail for me. All these chambered blocks/attacks in Bannerlord - all happening at random.

But it's not like block to right when dude swings to left? I can manage in Bannerlord 2 after practicing but a whole game of that? Timed blocks is usually not good either. A tale of suck and fail for me. All these chambered blocks/attacks in Bannerlord - all happening at random.
Nope, it's all subtle and done very well...it's no arcade hack and slash. You play the part of a trained Samurai so all the complicated bits whether you're blocking left or right aren't there, it's still challenging enough...but nothing like Kingdom Come or Bannerlord :)

Last edited:
Nope, it's all subtle and done very well...it's no arcade hack and slash. You play the part of a trained Samurai so all the complicated bits whether you're blocking left or right are left out, it's still challenging enough...but nothing like Kingdom Come or Bannerlord :)
Good, I like to delegate some jobs to proper professionals. :LOL:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Had to? Doom 2016 had the weak spots prime takedowns, but is wasn't mandatory. Just faster (and immunity frames, I guess).
They were made a much bigger feature in Eternal. Far harder to kill without it and they do far more damage, but the payoff for taking the weakspots is pretty much instant crippling.

Top Bottom