Give Yamiks an Alpha key!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
So, i took a look at Yamik's video but couldn't get through it. Basically whining about how he couldn't get a freebie.
i honestly think that you're missing the point somewhat, auntie ... let me try to make a case.

And the comments section. My god, i don't know if its all the idiots flocking to the bandwagon or his regular subscribers have melted cheese for brains.
"FD aren't giving him a copy because they don't want him reviewing it"
well, apart from the insult this is how this whole business of attention grabbing works, okay? affirmative and exalted messages from fans aren't any less intellectually flat, and we don't frown upon them. it's exactly the same ecosystem that drives up sales, so nothing new here.

frontier not giving him a key for reasons is actually the same as "they don't want him reviewing it". it is OBVIOUSLY not about the key or it's value. as factabulous just pointed out i would find it hard to believe that yamiks didn't even have preordered already, this is his job :D. it is about the yamiks not being recognized as the significant part of that ecosystem that he really is.

frontier not recognizing that is totally legitimate, but is their first miscalculation of how these social ecosystems work because in doing so they are alienating a part of their fan base. this is just stupid. he will review exactly the same, and they knew it. denying him the recognition could only backfire.

their second miscalculation is the response to him because it is blatant bullarxe and it was obvious that he could go public with it. i mean, precisely the yamiks! (facepalm)
this is so friken stupid that i can only understand this as a communication problem in frontier, with the person responding the email being oblivious of the criteria and consequences of the selection process.

other than that, liking or not yamiks content is not really relevant.

I disagree...
What it appears to be is that they recognise that this is one particular streamer who does not meet their requirements... Curious that in the reddit post mentioned earlier the first comment following said:
Hey man, I've been watching your content for years so don't think I'm here to poo-poo on you. I like your videos and I think there's definitely a place for salty videos about the games flaws.
But you need to realize that you've built an entire channel dedicated to dunking on this game and it's developer. Positivity is pretty rare in your content, and I don't think you need me to tell you that. There are bound to be consequences for extreme and continuous negativity, and this is it. Your entire shtick is generating bad press for them, I don't think there should have been any expectation of you getting a key based on the tone of your videos.
Odyssey is probably a big deal for Fdev and its going to draw a lot of eyes to the game and it's related content on YouTube. Of course they're not going to give a key to someone that they already know is going to poo-poo all over it. Again, criticism is needed but yours is extreme, constant, and not always fair. You paint a picture of E:D as an irredeemably awful piece of garbage made by a totally inept developer that rarely if ever does anything right. It shouldn't be any surprise that they're not interested in such a biased creator generating content on their big new update and killing the hype unnecessarily.

There were a few more of similar ilk... Not names I recognise from here, either 🤷‍♂️

Pretty much sums it up really. If one is going to rag on someone else pretty constantly, one should not be too surprised when that someone doesn't want to play with you any more.

To the people going on about how "important" Yamiks is to the community because, "look at how many subs he has" - this dude has been youtubing forever and Elite isn't the first game/series he's latched onto to make his "content" for - I remember when he was doing the EXACT SAME SCHIT over Planetside 2 some...what 6-7 years ago? Same "da devs don't know their asses from their elbows" and juvenile pisch he spouts about Elite now.

Dude's a professional poo-pooer and it amazes me he has a career doing it.

Point is - just cuz he has a high sub count, it DOESN'T mean that all of those people are Elite players, or followed him for that content, or even still exist.

But especially when we love something, we're disappointed by every aspect of if that isn't up to snuff.

Unless discretion is the better part of valour ..

No. I say promote the hell out of Odyssey so it makes a shed load of cash, funding tweaks and improvements and whatever expansion is due after this is .. and THEN complain like mad about it.

This is a funding round. It's THE moment to be positive. There's time enough for salt in the grave ....

Anyway does Yammiks not prefer to be a wild haired loner, indie frontiersman, on the impact moped to oblivion?
Is being a paid up "company man" really his style?? I'm seriously disappointed. ;)

I don't know if 22 pages in double quick time, is a reflection of people's admiration, or general loathing of our Lavian friend?
Probably just an example how there isn't much to talk about the game, so these threads just attract with controversy. Reminds me of the Slave Carrier debacle, though admittedly it had more meat on it than YT content creator having to shell out some money.

One reason I disagree with this is ED had an unusual start. Odyssey is the first time this game has ever had an expansion that's been completed (we assume) AHEAD of it's sale. Horizons for example was sold entirely on it's future and as such suffered from being a constant work in progress. Add a hangover from kickstart, when everybody and their dog was encouraged to join in and be a game designer too. That wasn't always positve. Ideas are great as long as their pragmatic, but the sky isn't necessariy the limit when you're the one trying to write the actual hard code line by line.

i don't really see how the technical aspect of development relates with promotion, sales, pr and marketing strategies in this case.

I wouldn't blame FDev for trying to avoid that narrative at all. We'll see what happens - and I'm sure Yammiks will get a key by other means - but that doesn't mean FDev are wrong to prefer freebies to go to people who are more overt with the constructive part of their criticism. At least until the major sales push has had a bite at it.
i'm not blaming them, but it was indeed a mistake. if they didn't want to have the yamiks in the show, fair enough but there are 2 things they should have considered: 1. he would be in the show regardless and 2. miffing him off would maybe not be the best idea.

Is there a compelling reason to watch more of Yamiks whining about not getting a freebie?
C’mon Agony, you are usually a reasonable poster. Skip ahead to 7:20 mins and I think you will get his point. It’s funny how people (not meaning you) on this forum will focus on certain rants and completely ignore his very positive videos like the one he did recently on the community. (Why do you play Elite Dangerous)

Last edited:
Hold your horses. Yamiks has a personal way of stating stuff, but mostly he has been doing videos about how to play the game, which to some of us (~20% of the community) have been very helpful and informative. I think some of you should go and watch some of his videos. If you can live with the profanity and the intelligent sarcasm, it turns out that he's a pretty decent guy, who loves the game and wants it to become even better. Don't we all? :alien:
Personal way of stating stuff? Intelligent sarcasm?
Being rude and toxic isn't that.
I'm kind of tempted to call you few names, compare your intelligence to a sex toy and describe your post as comprehensive as written by a monkey suffering from a diarrhea (while showing some visual masturbation jokes) and ask if you still consider me a decent guy with "personal way of stating stuff".

Again, why should Frontier help and promote a guy who behaves like that?

or an excellent move (in my opinion). It will not change anything in the end and you are just copying his interpretation. Nothing else is this whole affair: an interpretation of communication that did not take place. You can hardly take yourself any more important than that.
yes, that's possible too but a level of sophistication that i would not expect in this case. :)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom