Got bored, created an Elite Dangerous Controls template/worksheet . . .

Nearly 500 possible keybinds..

I think with BEYOND, FDEV will need to supply 'fit for purpose' keyboards that can handle this amount of key combinations.

A major reason I haven't played on PS4 after buying it 2 months ago was because I looked at the setup menu and really couldn't bear to go through the binds. It seems like a bigger grind than all engineers unlocks put together

Created from the beta Options>Controls section, up-to-date as of 10/30/2018 and available here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1l7i5oEiYGhXePAgAsCjSRxovl9gMMHWW/view?usp=sharing

Excllent Thank you and repped.

Yeah, I think the controls are really going to need a re-think, 3.3 only exacerbates the problem.

The goal must be to have consistent controls across contexts. e.g. zoom is zoom, regardless of what mode you're in. Orrery, Galaxy Map, FSS, Camera Suite etc. One keybind and done.

What a bloody good idea, have you inserted this oh-so common sense suggestion in the Suggestions section? (more rep for common sense).

A list of key-binds for a computer game. In a 490 row spreadsheet. [sad]

268 keyboard or button bindings, the rest is sliders and switches and that count does not include joystick axis bindings. Yes, it's ridiculous. We are apparently expected to memorize over 268 buttons/switches, more than 2.5 times the number of keys on a standard 101-keyboard which is approximately the number of buttons and switches a commercial airline or fighter jet pilot must remember. Falcon 4.0, anyone?

Last edited:
268 keyboard or button bindings, the rest is sliders and switches and that count does not include joystick axis bindings. Yes, it's ridiculous. We are apparently expected to memorize over 268 buttons/switches, more than 2.5 times the number of keys on a standard 101-keyboard which is approximately the number of buttons and switches a commercial airline or fighter jet pilot must remember. Falcon 4.0, anyone?

To be fair we don't have to remember that many bindings. Wasp0's suggestion for FD is a good one, but you can do the same yourself with careful mapping.

eg. yaw, pitch and roll can be bound in the same way in every context, zoom too, right now you just have to take the time to do it yourself.

+1 for the spreadsheet :)

This is across all modes though. It would be nice to filter them a bit better though. Keep in mind that the functions tab can take a lot off your plate too.

Edit: in addition to that there's also lots of niche options, tons of targeting etc., also multiple ways to use a single mode (like alternative flight mode or the throttle increment buttons). It's really not that hard to remember the binds, it's just that navigating that menu is pure hell.

Deleted member 38366

D
Yeah, I think the controls are really going to need a re-think, 3.3 only exacerbates the problem.

The goal must be to have consistent controls across contexts. e.g. zoom is zoom, regardless of what mode you're in. Orrery, Galaxy Map, FSS, Camera Suite etc. One keybind and done.

Indeed...
Been asking that (Common Sense Defaults based on existing custom bindings for similar and/or identical purposes) for ages.

And while they're at it, I'd politely ask to rethink "reversed/normal" for some default axis bindings.
Someone had a weird sense of humor swapping those the wrong way around for yawing/turning left & right ;)

The guys at HCS are welcome to every penny I’ve spent with them if they can make this manageable.

Oh, and they will! In Fact they have already stated that when the live version goes er 'Live', there will be updates to the Voice packs.

Bless them, i can envisage them beavering away right now and cursing FD as much as we are with the new binds for keys. PLUS we have Mining to go as well, which i presume will require more new Binds (Maybe? ).

I have a HOTAS and Voice Attack. I don't have to remember any keyboard buttons. Appreciate the effort nonetheless.

Top Bottom