Great Raxxla Potato Hunt - Help us scan every system within 200 ly of Sol

Status Update for Week of 2024-05-18 : 2024-05-25

We've scanned 4,054 / 5,123 grid sections (+5), which is 79.13% of our search grid.
That includes 55,034 / 67,941 systems (+91), which is 81.00% of systems.*

Notes:
  • 16 Megaships
  • 3 Capital Ships
  • 1 Moon
  • CMDR Varonica found a Crashed Ship on Iota Hydri 3 E.
    (estimated from EDSM database)

CMDR Varonica found a Crashed Ship on Trumuye 6 A.
Just out of curiosity I went to see what such a thing looks like.

ED_Odyssey_353.jpg

ED_Odyssey_354.jpg

Those are random crashes - wrecks like the Sidewinder and Eagle will pop up upon planetary scans, as Type-7s, Diamondback Explorers and Condors also do on occasion.

The Type-9s and Anaconda wrecks seem to be more permanent, though FDEV may have their own method for placement.

Those are random crashes - wrecks like the Sidewinder and Eagle will pop up upon planetary scans, as Type-7s, Diamondback Explorers and Condors also do on occasion.

The Type-9s and Anaconda wrecks seem to be more permanent, though FDEV may have their own method for placement.

No they aren't, these are permanent POI's that appear in the same place for every player, you are confusing things like "minor wreckage" and etc that are random crashes that change each time you visit, those are like USS's in space and can actually vanish as you approach them and will not be there if you relog, but "crashed ships" are permanent POI's! You can relog and they will persist, they appear in the same place for every player that visits them. They are not the same thing, this is why they are being logged here!

Jameson's Sidewinder ???

This particular one was indeed a sidewinder, and it had a log with nothing very interesting to say, so no, probably not Jameson's sidewinder. There are a number of Sidewinder crashed ships around, but then the Sidewinder is the ship of choice for new pilots, so they must crash a lot I guess.

No one has been keeping track of capital ships and their names? Or do most not have names? Did they give up on naming them all at some point?

No one has been keeping track of capital ships and their names? Or do most not have names? Did they give up on naming them all at some point?
As far as I know, most of the megaships (and capital ships) aren't named particularly. Generally an abbreviation of their home system followed by a numerical code, e.g. SHI-807. These are mostly recorded when noting them in reports, but otherwise I don't think there are really names. Generation Ships are an exception and noted as such.

I have seen them called just "Cap Ship," I think it depends on whether they have some significance in the game, targets for missions etc, some I think are just scenery and serve no other purpose.

As far as I know, most of the megaships (and capital ships) aren't named particularly. Generally an abbreviation of their home system followed by a numerical code, e.g. SHI-807. These are mostly recorded when noting them in reports, but otherwise I don't think there are really names. Generation Ships are an exception and noted as such.

I have seen them called just "Cap Ship," I think it depends on whether they have some significance in the game, targets for missions etc, some I think are just scenery and serve no other purpose.
I guess they dropped that at some point. You used to see certain ships getting names, at least back in the Lugh War.

Status Update for Week of 2024-06-01 : 2024-06-08

We've scanned 4,069 / 5,123 grid sections (+7), which is 79.43% of our search grid.
That includes 55,348 / 67,941 systems (+158), which is 81.46% of systems.*

Notes:
  • 24 Megaships
  • 3 Tourist Beacons
  • 2 Capital Ship
  • 1 Moon
  • CMDR Varonica found a Crashed Ship on Caerus 3.
(estimated from EDSM database)

No they aren't, these are permanent POI's that appear in the same place for every player, you are confusing things like "minor wreckage" and etc that are random crashes that change each time you visit, those are like USS's in space and can actually vanish as you approach them and will not be there if you relog, but "crashed ships" are permanent POI's! You can relog and they will persist, they appear in the same place for every player that visits them. They are not the same thing, this is why they are being logged here!
There is a mission version that looks very similar, (also an Eagle variant) but with yellow crates in the debris trail.
If the mission item is taken from one of the crates the Crashed Ship POI vanishes on relog there will also frequently be scavs dropping in.

There is a mission version that looks very similar, (also an Eagle variant) but with yellow crates in the debris trail.
If the mission item is taken from one of the crates the Crashed Ship POI vanishes on relog there will also frequently be scavs dropping in.

Yes agreed, but the mission POI's won't generate a "human" or "other" signal in the FSS when you scan the planet. I tested my last crashed ship find by relogging and it did remain exactly where it was, it had skimmers and I got a fine from it, it also generated a "human" signal in the FSS. I would suggest it is probably used as a mission target but it's also a permanent POI. It certainly would surprise me if there are a limited number of crashed ship assets that can be used just about anywhere even for the regular minor wreckage temporary POI's at times.

That's a crash site, a common mission generated temporary POI, Crash Site, Minor Wreckage, etc, lots of different names, but permanent POI's with shipwrecks nearly always say "Crashed Ship." That's very similar to the "Crashed Ship" Sidewinders but you will note in this image the message "other" in the top right corner, that's unusual because they normally just say "Crashed Ship," but this one did indeed resolve itself to just "Crashed Ship" and was listed in the nav panel as "Crashed Ship,"so I had two messages about it that led me to the same spot, the "other signal" and a "crashed ship" signal;

e2nvh6a.png

This is what it looked like on the ground, almost identical to your mission generated POI.

yjsn5F5.png

In fact to make sure it was a proper permanent POI I left the system and returned the following day, it was still there in the same spot, this time it was smoking but you can still see the trail leading to it;

nh0zBdx.jpg

Top Bottom