Griefers make open impossible, and how easy the solution is.

I usually play solo, but every now and then I'll go online to find some CMDRs, and have some interaction. Every single time I did however, I have been interdicted and killed within 10 minutes of launching out of the station. You spawn, you try to fly somewhere and someone interdicts you and kills you without any thought or explanation. That's my complete experience with open. I'm fine with piracy and bounty hunting and all. But these people that just attack for no reason at all makes it that me, and a lot of people like me, don't want to play in open at all. Today I just wanted to screw around with some CMDRs at the community event. Never mind, cause they're waiting to kill you.

I have never, in a year of playing Elite, been in open and not been randomly killed by a griefer. Imagine that. Every time I played in open, a griefer has killed me (and no I have no open bounties). And the saddest thing is, I'm not even exaggerating. Open is completely useless. It has no upsides at all. Doesn't matter what you do, you risk everything on your run by playing in open. Whether you're exploring, mining, trading, bounty hunting or even pirating. All your hard work is ruined by some half-baked tard in a Challenger.

But instead of complaining, here's my solution: A scoring system. A simple one from the top of my mind: X / kills in the last X hours of play = S. If S < 3, the player is a griefer. IE 6 / 15 = 0.4 (meaning 15 innocent kills in the last 6 hours the player was online), which means this player is a griefer. This simple system can be upgraded to use the players full pvp history.

Punishment for players when the score drops below the threshold for the first couple of times:
  • Not be allowed to dock at any station (no repairs, resupplies, engineering, respawns, missions, etc).
  • Immediately be attacked by security forces in any inhabited system. And I'm talking constantly. As soons as the drops in the system the security forces should start interdicting. By doing this constantly, the annoyance of the griefer will be pushed to new levels and he'll stay away from inhabited systems.
  • Be made a large target for bounties. Players can go to a station, go to contacts and get contracts for griefers. With the reward around 1 million per player killed, hunting griefers becomes a liable option for people to make money. Besides, the community will ridding itself of the toxicity. The contracts update to let the hunter know where the griefer is (what system and where in the system). When the hunter attacks, the griefer has 2 options, Flee or fight. If they die, they have to wait for their score to rise before they can spawn in again (cause no griefers at stations). If they fight and win, they just killed another player with no bounty. So their score goes down even more, while more hunters will be on their way. Fleeing grievers will be on the run until their score rises enough. The worse their crimes, the longer they're on the run.

Harsh, but as we say in my country, a cookie of your own dough. You ruin the game for others, the game is ruined for you to.

Punishment for players who go below the threshold more than x times:

Flatout ban these players from playing in open for a week and put a strike on their account. If the player receives 3 strikes the account is banned, GG you played yourself.

I think this is fair because it has clear warnings, you can stop and better yourself at any point. If you get banned it's cause you simply don't do anything other that ruining the game for others. This system however leaves space for killing each other for RP reasons, I mean, you wanna be able to blast some imps on sight. I'm not against PVP, but I am against consistent pointless griefing. As many people are. And it's time Frontier did something about this, cause people have been complaining for years (I've followed the games development for a long time). Elite NEEDS a system. No one stands any real consequence of losing anything if they misbehave in game. The fine for killing a player for no reason is around 150.000 credits. If I saw 150.000 credits floating in space I wouldn't even bother to try and scoop it up. It's nothing, to anyone. Imagine if we had this system in place for murder in real life? You killed a random person now pay a 15 cents fine. It is laughable. There is a reason why you don't need to worry about being gunned down for no reason when going somewhere (except maybe if you live in the US); you murder, you go to jail for a long time. And no-one (sane) is willing to risk that for a stranger. But in Elite there are practically no consequences which is why it's out of control.

Real consequences = less griefing.

Simple as that. And quite frankly, Frontier has tried doing nothing for 5 years now and it clearly hasn't worked all that well. I'd give up space legs, fleet carriers and atmospheric landings for just some peace and interaction with other CMDRs. I've played this game for a year, and have been alone for the entire time. Despite all the hype, all the enthusiasm of people of how great the community is, I have only ever encountered the business end of railguns and plasma accelerators.

Open is impossible, inhospitable, toxic and frustrating , and quite frankly, it's beyond me why Frontier is not doing anything about it. The player pressing alt-f4 when he encounters a griefer is liable for a ban but the griefer is not. It's poor game design and it's poor community management. Frontier should be called out for it. Every other gamestudio actively fights toxicity, Frontier should as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
ED common sense PG instance operator: Hello, this is the ED 911 operator. How may I help you?

CMNDR NisseNeutron : OMG HELP! I don't want to play Solo anymore and now I'm being GRIEFED TO DEATH in ED! In OPEN of all places!!!

ED common sense PG instance operator: Please join PvE PG Moebius you silly goose. STAT.

The best of both worlds would be "PRIVATE". You can acquire friends almost anywhere, here, reddit etc etc etc. Invite them to your private game or ask to join theirs.
Yes. This already exists. It's called PG mode.

I seriously can't tell with posts like these anymore.....

Just build your ship to survive.
Most times it works, sometimes you'll explode, but it adds a great lot of thrill.
(or just use other modes)

But we all know how this thread will end.

1576517143687.png

But instead of complaining, here's my solution: A scoring system. A simple one from the top of my mind: X / kills in the last X hours of play = S. If S < 3, the player is a griefer.
You can’t define a griefer with a number system. Griefing is a player behavior outside of the game. It’s when a player wants to ruin the experience of another player. The game is irrelevant, Elite just happens to be the tool of choice.

Determining if a CMDRs motivations are in game or out of game is almost impossible without a trend of behavior over time. There are obvious cases where it’s pretty clear that a CMDR is just out to ruin experiences, but for the most part you’ll never know if they are just playing their way with in-game motivations and nothing personal.

There was plans for a kharma system back in the day when Sandro was at the helm, but I fear it hit the cutting room floor.

...Been playing Elite Dangerous the launch of PS4.
The only time I have been griefed as in Pallaeni when flying my Type9 in a heavily instances DW2 departure point.
Someone tried hatchbreaker limpets on me. I lost a tonne or two before jumping back into supercruise.

The rest of the time, I have been lucky to only ever encounter a positive, happy go lucky bunch of Commanders out in the black.

If PC griefers are too much for you. Come over to the Sony Side. We have everything, except too many griefers (and Cobra MkIVs)

You can’t define a griefer with a number system. Griefing is a player behavior outside of the game. It’s when a player wants to ruin the experience of another player. The game is irrelevant, Elite just happens to be the tool of choice.

Determining if a CMDRs motivations are in game or out of game is almost impossible without a trend of behavior over time. There are obvious cases where it’s pretty clear that a CMDR is just out to ruin experiences, but for the most part you’ll never know if they are just playing their way with in-game motivations and nothing personal.

There was plans for a kharma system back in the day when Sandro was at the helm, but I fear it hit the cutting room floor.
Im gonna go ahead and say that most gankers dont want to ruin your day, they just want to play the game how they want to play it. I think you should throw out the idea that gankers are bad people, it makes you look bad

Where the bleeping heck are you guys flying around to met all that pew-pew people? The last time I was in the bubble I tried to find some of them and nobody anywhere. I went to Shinrarta, Wyrd, Deciat, and some other engineers and nothing beside harmless Anacondas with very interesting builds. What am I doing wrong? It feels like I'm playing a different game. Maybe the harmless Anacondas are the ones to pew-pew?🤷‍♀️

Where the bleeping heck are you guys flying around to met all that pew-pew people? The last time I was in the bubble I tried to find some of them and nobody anywhere. I went to Shinrarta, Wyrd, Deciat, and some other engineers and nothing beside harmless Anacondas with very interesting builds. What am I doing wrong? It feels like I'm playing a different game. Maybe the harmless Anacondas are the ones to pew-pew?🤷‍♀️
Timezones, internet connection & instancing luck can all make your life easy or miserable.

On sunday I ran into a really competent gank wing which would've gotten me if my Phantom wasn't a very sturdy explo build.
Other days I was in empty instances in Shin... Just luck and a netcode from hell...

Top Bottom