Guardians Discussions

I will produce a list in the evening, but in general I covered corridor to Colonia and to the west of that, did not check any nebulas for existense of BTs past -1000ly south.
My hesitation with a list is that I may haved missed something so it would be good to people to doublecheck :)

Thx. Ever since the Formidine Rift stuff went quiet, i think few people bother with that direction. So i thought about checking nebulas down there again.

Baton can you give us an expert's guide on the best way to find braintrees/ruins?
All I really know is that you look at planets with Ejecta Craters between 200 and 496k with any sort of active volcanism- is that right? Is that all you do or is there other things to look for?

My way of search:

Get to a nebula
Look for landable volcanic bodies with a temperature >200K and <500K, if you find one then look for ejecta craters on it (use system map image for that). I prefer bodies with radius of 1000km or less because the craters are easier to check.
If area has been checked before by other pilots this website can help you to find candidate quickly https://www.spansh.co.uk/bodies/search/C8BAEB6E-BE2A-11E7-B6AA-9472C33B8412

If there are ejecta craters then do a glide above them as shown here: (the BT POI is shown at 2 minutes, but you may as well watch the whole clip to see how to find things)

[video=youtube_share;VNVyGoEJF5w]https://youtu.be/VNVyGoEJF5w?t=123[/video]

(BT POI on ice planets is different, it is small POI as with geysers, no shrinking, so it is bit more difficult to find, but ice bodies with temperature over 200K are quite rare, so no need to worry)

Now my gut feeling is - if you are inside nebula and you found BTs means there are Ancient Ruins around so then you start checking every system in the area. I use this way - https://youtu.be/zIhbu_AYmDU

I look for BTs first because it is 100 times easier to find a BT than to find Ancient Ruins, with trees you know exactly where will they be.

Last edited:
My way of search:

Get to a nebula
Look for landable volcanic bodies with a temperature >200K and <500K, if you find one then look for ejecta craters on it (use system map image for that). I prefer bodies with radius of 1000km or less because the craters are easier to check.
If area has been checked before by other pilots this website can help you to find candidate quickly https://www.spansh.co.uk/bodies/search/C8BAEB6E-BE2A-11E7-B6AA-9472C33B8412

If there are ejecta craters then do a glide above them as shown here: (the BT POI is shown at 2 minutes, but you may as well watch the whole thing to see how to find things)

https://youtu.be/VNVyGoEJF5w?t=123

Now my gut feeling is - if you are inside nebula and you found BTs means there are Ancient Ruins around so then you start checking every system in the area. I use this way - https://youtu.be/zIhbu_AYmDU

I look for BTs first because it is 100 times easier to find a BT than to find Ancient Ruins, you know exactly where will they be.

Thanks!

This is the thing, I am checking maybe two BT candidates per nebulae. The ones with ruins (Prai Hypoo and Blaa Hypai) have BTs in each candidate I check, so there is no need for thorough checks. That is my theory at least. I will check couple more bodies in Blaa Hypai for existence of BT.
What we need is to ask explorers to have a quick look in every nebulae they visit. Checking the candidate takes 2 minutes, finding one is sometimes longer (volcanic body with temperature >200K and <500K but it is not that difficult either (let say 15 minutes or so). There are some big expeditions around, we need to get to them :)

At some point we should do a Brain Tree perimeter search around one of these nebulae (I might get around to it once I get my head out of obelisk audio). Hopefully the perimeter isn't as big as the one in Col 173, which seems to extend for hundreds of lightyears. What I wonder is if the perimeter shares the same "center" as the nebula itself, or if it's offset somehow. If it proves to be offset, then we'll have to be more careful when looking for Brain Trees around nebulae.

At some point we should do a Brain Tree perimeter search around one of these nebulae (I might get around to it once I get my head out of obelisk audio). Hopefully the perimeter isn't as big as the one in Col 173, which seems to extend for hundreds of lightyears. What I wonder is if the perimeter shares the same "center" as the nebula itself, or if it's offset somehow. If it proves to be offset, then we'll have to be more careful when looking for Brain Trees around nebulae.

I would imagine it will be offset as the first couple of bubbles (Eta Carina & Skaudai) have ruins outside the nebula. But we should check. I tried on a couple of the newer ones, but the Curse of the Guardians struck, and I was back in Colonia. I've now done a penance to Beagle Point, so if I spot BTs over here I'm going to try again - main issue is finding the BT candidate systems in the first place (though I agree with Baton that they seem more numerous than GR.

My way of search:

Get to a nebula

If there are ejecta craters then do a glide above them as shown here: (the BT POI is shown at 2 minutes, but you may as well watch the whole clip to see how to find things)

https://youtu.be/VNVyGoEJF5w?t=123

(BT POI on ice planets is different, it is small POI as with geysers, no shrinking, so it is bit more difficult to find, but ice bodies with temperature over 200K are quite rare, so no need to worry)

I look for BTs first because it is 100 times easier to find a BT than to find Ancient Ruins, with trees you know exactly where will they be.

Quick check on something from me - have you found other POIs in the same ejecta craters as the BTs or has it just been one POI with BTs? Just want to double check, as all the BTs I've found have been in the first POI I've checked. On bodies where the first POI has been something else (always Outcrops for me!) I've treated them as non-BT bodies so I just want to make sure I'm not potentially missing something!

I would imagine it will be offset as the first couple of bubbles (Eta Carina & Skaudai) have ruins outside the nebula.

It may be offset in my opinion, as far as I remember checking Eta Carinae, there were no BTs in bottom part of the nebula (part opposite to where the ancient ruins are), not to mention outside of it, but my stay there was to short to properly check.

Quick check on something from me - have you found other POIs in the same ejecta craters as the BTs or has it just been one POI with BTs?

Outside of the bubble I find only one POI in the center and it is either metallic rock or BT. But I've seen a post from cmdr Cyclosphere who claimed finding two BTs close to each other, one in the middle of ejecta crater and one just right outside of it. So there may be much more we could find, just not enough man power :)

If I hit a rock, I do not search for more in the same crater, but I do try another ejecta crater on the same body (if there is one), not all of them have BTs, few times I had one crater with rock amongst other two or three with BTs

Last edited:
Quick update on my search for BTs.

After finding them pretty much as close to Col 70 Sector FY-N C21-3 as it's possible to get on the Col 70 / Synuefe border, I NS jumped through that region into the interior of the Col 70 sphere and checked the closest bits of the inside border of Col 70 (Spirograph Sector at that point). Distance is roughly the same to FY-N C21-3 as the BT site I found on the Synuefe side (~105ly).

No BT's found.

Worth noting that the area of space in question is more or less directly radially outwards from FY-N C21-3 and the rough centre of the main Guardian bubble.

Since then I've been been doing a loop of the inside border of Col 70 around NGC 2232 as that's more or less on the same plane as the main Guardian bubble whereas the FY-N C21-3 area is well below.

No BTs found, but the main purpose really is to get something on the map that can be used to illustrate a bit of the internal structure of Col 70. Am adding a lot of missing systems to EDSM as I go too. Also it's above all the key nebula around there so getting some awesome views!

Outside of the bubble I find only one POI in the center and it is either metallic rock or BT. But I've seen a post from cmdr Cyclosphere who claimed finding two BTs close to each other, one in the middle of ejecta crater and one just right outside of it. So there may be much more we could find, just not enough man power :)

If I hit a rock, I do not search for more in the same crater, but I do try another ejecta crater on the same body (if there is one), not all of them have BTs, few times I had one crater with rock amongst other two or three with BTs

Ah, thanks! I've generally checked a couple but sometimes it's just been one. I need to check a few again then.

Checked 2 candidates in Heart Sector. Nothing... Will check a third, since it is only 2000 km away. Looks like nothing here.
Fun fact: In the last crater i checked, there was a System Defence Force Python landed near the center. In an uninhabited system.

Last edited:
Good one. :D

Btw. Soul Sector... tried 3 systems now with candidates. None of them has eject craters. :S
This is weird.

Good one. :D

Btw. Soul Sector... tried 3 systems now with candidates. None of them has eject craters. :S
This is weird.

Heart and Soul is well searched, so I would not expect any ruins there anyway. Ejecta craters are sometimes well hidden, especially on icy bodies they look quite different. But getting body without them is not unusual, I would say 20% has no craters, maybe 25%.

Heart and Soul is well searched, so I would not expect any ruins there anyway. Ejecta craters are sometimes well hidden, especially on icy bodies they look quite different. But getting body without them is not unusual, I would say 20% has no craters, maybe 25%.

I know that they are well searched. But mostly before Ruins where even a thing. That mystery went on for years.
I don't really expect to find something here, but i decided to start here.
Going for some more remote nebulas down here after that.

Update: Checked NGC 281 without results. Looks like the south was not the best idea. Oh well, i'll keep trying.

Last edited:
Sorry for mah imersun. :eek: "Mother of all ..." aka FD original version. Somebody named second type of Guardian ruins "Elmo". I call them Kivas, because reasons (search great Kiva):

Last edited:
Top Bottom